Agoda will not pay funds owed to a 'foreigner'

"According to Thai regulation we are not allowed to pay THB from our domestic account in Thailand as non-residence bank account to the others non-residence bank account."

Sounds like they think you have a non-resident account. Just show them otherwise (get a letter from your bank).

I am getting confused. How does Agoda know that your account is a non-resident account. I did not think that this is something that could be determined from account number. Does anybody know more about this?

I suppose one way they could know is if they tried to make a payment to it and it was refused.

One other possibility is that it may form part of the account name. When I had non-resident accounts elsewhere the mention "non-res" (or similar) was always part of the account name.

When I make online transfers or ATM transfers here I input just the account number and bank name, and the recipient's full account name appears on the screen before I confirm the payment, even from another bank, so that name information at least is there and is available to all. I seem to remember that the address details appear also.

But it's more a question of what Agoda believe than what they actually know for certain, and they could believe it to be a non-res account for many reasons or even no reason at all.

Edited by KittenKong

Well, the outcome/investigation of this is as follows:

Agoda uses a non-resident THB bank a/c to make payments to hotels in Thailand, paying into their THB resident a/cs.

Agoda says that it is against Thai banking rules to pay from a non-resident THB to another non-resident THB a/c. I have no idea if this is true or not).

Agoda claim that they spoke with my bank who confirmed that I have a non-resident a/c. This does not make any sense, because according to Bangkok Bank, non-resident a/cs only operate out of their Silom Road HQ and require in-person visits to the bank to deposit/withdraw funds etc. My a/c is in Phuket and the bank manager has known me for yonks and has no reason to set me up with a non-resident a/c. I never export funds - I live here permanently

Of course, I will go into the bank on Monday and ask further about my a/c...

However, the resolution to my problem comes from my cleaning lady, (a la Thaksin solution!). She will open a bank a/c in her name tomorrow with another bank and give me the ATM card and bank book - the a/c will not receive huge sums of money.

BTW, a poster asked why these funds are not paid into a business a/c. The reason is because the business is registered as a Thai Sole Trader, but with me as the sole beneficiary of the business revenues. (Bit like renting out condos in your Thai wife's name). The Thai person pays tax as required on the business profits, I get to live at the hotel but don't work there, I get all the profits.... without the hassle of registering a Thai company, shareholders, work permit etc)

Can that Thai person kick me out? Of course, but I've been down that route before years ago and it's a non-starter.. Kick me out and the business grounds to a halt within days, (I hold all the passwords etc...)

Once again more BS from Agoda

1. Bank would never speak with Agoda about your bank account or its status

2. Rules regarding this already posted earlier, transfers from non resident to non resident is not a problem.

There is definitely something else, behind this BS, just can not figure out what it is.

Ask your accountant why would someone do this?Just to cover your butt.

May be and i say may be, they suppose to pay withholding tax which they do not want to pay, or may be something to do with collecting VAT but not paying it.

I think its the Withholding taxes.

"According to Thai regulation we are not allowed to pay THB from our domestic account in Thailand as non-residence bank account to the others non-residence bank account."

Sounds like they think you have a non-resident account. Just show them otherwise (get a letter from your bank).

I am getting confused. How does Agoda know that your account is a non-resident account. I did not think that this is something that could be determined from account number. Does anybody know more about this?

I suppose one way they could know is if they tried to make a payment to it and it was refused.

One other possibility is that it may form part of the account name. When I had non-resident accounts elsewhere the mention "non-res" (or similar) was always part of the account name.

When I make online transfers or ATM transfers here I input just the account number and bank name, and the recipient's full account name appears on the screen before I confirm the payment, even from another bank, so that name information at least is there and is available to all. I seem to remember that the address details appear also.

But it's more a question of what Agoda believe than what they actually know for certain, and they could believe it to be a non-res account for many reasons or even no reason at all.

clap2.gif

Must be speaking from all that extensive experience working in Thailand and specifically dealing with banks and agoda

Some people just do not know when to quit and will continue to post nonsense, may be because they enjoy the sound of their voicerolleyes.gif

Address appears as well?blink.png how about date of birth? and sexual preferences?facepalm.gif

Must be speaking from all that extensive experience working in Thailand and specifically dealing with banks and agoda

Some people just do not know when to quit and will continue to post nonsense, may be because they enjoy the sound of their voice:rolleyes:

Address appears as well?blink.png how about date of birth? and sexual preferences?facepalm.gif

This from the person who told us in so many words that "Banks do not have resident or non resident accounts...." here: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/777954-agoda-will-not-pay-funds-owed-to-a-foreigner/#entry8699335

and then went on to tell us that in fact they do exist, but are only "so-called" here: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/777954-agoda-will-not-pay-funds-owed-to-a-foreigner/#entry8703565

and who also managed to completely misinterpret another post here: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/777954-agoda-will-not-pay-funds-owed-to-a-foreigner/#entry8702440

There seems to be very little hope for you.

Some people just do not know when to quit and will continue to post nonsense, may be because they enjoy the sound of their voice:rolleyes:

This from the person who told us in so many words that "Banks do not have resident or non resident accounts...." here: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/777954-agoda-will-not-pay-funds-owed-to-a-foreigner/#entry8699335

and then went on to tell us that in fact they do exist, but are only "so-called" here: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/777954-agoda-will-not-pay-funds-owed-to-a-foreigner/#entry8703565

and who also managed to completely misinterpret another post here: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/777954-agoda-will-not-pay-funds-owed-to-a-foreigner/#entry8702440

There seems to be very little hope for you.

Keep on going, still can not wait to hear your experience working with Agoda and local banks

PS., so with address, does it also show sexual preferences and a date of birth?

Edited by konying