4th Back to Back Tourist Visa Penang (NO SAME DAY SERVICE)

Also if anyone is planning going to Penang then take note that since 1st November 2014 they no longer do same day visa service. You get your passport back the next day after 2pm.

I emailed Jim's GH/Thai Visas on 1st November re this and he emailed me telling me 'no problem' in getting the visa the same day. He's been mentioned on this forum as being the go to guy for Thai visas on Penang. Flying with protectionist Firefly would be a nightmare if same day service were not available, given they fly just four days - one including a weekend - per week.

As far as I know it's not clear. The "crackdown" was to prevent people working here on a tourist visa, not paying tax, which some (mostly Russians I guess) do. If the immigration officer sees numerous back to back tourist visas, and is in a bad mood, it can be a problem.

3 back to back visa exempt entries (30days) is clearly limited now.

It is not entirely about paying taxes it is for working without a work permit.

There is no limit on visa exempt entries other than doing in/out visa runs to get them.

Seriously Joe, this is getting really confusing, because there have been plenty of cases reported on TV where people were refused because they had had a number of exempts in their passport that were not back to back, but with intervals. Is there something you know that we don't. A simple yes or no would make a lot of members less insecure, thank you.

As far as I know it's not clear. The "crackdown" was to prevent people working here on a tourist visa, not paying tax, which some (mostly Russians I guess) do. If the immigration officer sees numerous back to back tourist visas, and is in a bad mood, it can be a problem.

3 back to back visa exempt entries (30days) is clearly limited now.

It is not entirely about paying taxes it is for working without a work permit.

There is no limit on visa exempt entries other than doing in/out visa runs to get them.

Seriously Joe, this is getting really confusing, because there have been plenty of cases reported on TV where people were refused because they had had a number of exempts in their passport that were not back to back, but with intervals. Is there something you know that we don't. A simple yes or no would make a lot of members less insecure, thank you.

There have not been that many reports of people being turned back at an airport and some of those were dubious as to the reason. Most of the reports of that happening was at border crossings.

You can be sure there are many that are coming and going on visa exempt entries on a regular basis without a problem. The few we get can be considered not the norm.

Can you still get Double Entry Tourist Visa's from Penang?

I don't recall Penang ever doing 2 entry visas.

For many years only Vientiane and then Savannakhet have done them.

Seems like a lot of hassle and expense for a single entry tourist visa. Is either of Vientiane or Savvannakhet easier and less hassle to get a double entry tourist visa than the other.

Edited by CFC

Can you still get Double Entry Tourist Visa's from Penang?

I don't recall Penang ever doing 2 entry visas.

For many years only Vientiane and then Savannakhet have done them.

Seems like a lot of hassle and expense for a single entry tourist visa. Is either of Vientiane or Savvannakhet easier and less hassle to get a double entry tourist visa than the other.

But a lot LESS hassle and expense for those who live on Phuket or Samui.

I live on Phuket but would rather do 1 trip to Vientiane or Savvannakhet and get a double entry than 2 trips to Penang.

I am in the same situation and trying to decide on which method to use. At first I thought that getting a double entry in Laos was the way to go, but considering I will still have to make a run to a border when my first entry/extension comes due in 90 days the choice is not so obvious.

So basically the choice is between 1 run to Laos + 1 border run (Ranong still works I hope?) an two runs to Penang or KL. If I use the minivan services to Penang the cost of 2 runs comes to about the same as the Laos option, if I fly to KL it's a bit more.

I am definately returning home in 4.5 months so number of consecutive visas is not an issue to me.

Am I missing something? Is there another reason you rather go to Vientiane?

Thanks for any additionnal info.

• Like 1

I just checked the Penang Thai Consulate website and there's no mention of any change from November 1, as the OP said.

The last Notice about Visa Service Hours is dated 12 March 2014 and it states that for Transit and Tourist Visa is a same day service. That's the link of the Notice: http://www.thaiembassy.org/penang/contents/files/news-20140312-140619-382939.pdf

I just checked the Penang Thai Consulate website and there's no mention of any change from November 1, as the OP said.

The last Notice about Visa Service Hours is dated 12 March 2014 and it states that for Transit and Tourist Visa is a same day service. That's the link of the Notice: http://www.thaiembassy.org/penang/contents/files/news-20140312-140619-382939.pdf

Ah, but it doesn't say they will charge you almost double the fee for 'same day service' now, does it.

Ah, but it doesn't say they will charge you almost double the fee for 'same day service' now, does it.

The tourist visa price is the same plus the usual commission for the agent, so there's no change. It's the agent's commission for having a NON-B on the same day that is quite expensive...

The tourist visa price is the same plus the usual commission for the agent, so there's no change. It's the agent's commission for having a NON-B on the same day that is quite expensive...

Yes that'd occurred to me. Have just mailed another agent to confirm. Will report back and if this's the case, could send out a warning to others dry.png

Yes that'd occurred to me. Have just mailed another agent to confirm. Will report back and if this's the case, could send out a warning to others dry.png

Have just heard back from Jim's that it is indeed now TWO days. He says the extra fee - almost double - isn't worth it and to stay two nights. Not much difference if you go with protectionist Firefly angry.png

I just came back from Penang. Its' true, no more same day service: so apply in the morning and collect the passport the afternoon of the next day.

BUT there could be the chance to have an "Express service" which costs an additional 200 RM (2.000 baht) in order to get the passport back at noon of the next day and to catch the Firefly flight to Samui (this in case u fly on Tuesday and back on Thursday). But depending on the agent this "Express service" is not 100% guaranteed and in case it won't work u will get the 200 RM back and the passport only few hours later (when the plane is already in Samui).

So if u decide to buy a return air ticket Samui-Penang now it's better to spend at least 4 nights in Penang.

I just came back from Penang. Its' true, no more same day service: so apply in the morning and collect the passport the afternoon of the next day.

BUT there could be the chance to have an "Express service" which costs an additional 200 RM (2.000 baht) in order to get the passport back at noon of the next day and to catch the Firefly flight to Samui (this in case u fly on Tuesday and back on Thursday). But depending on the agent this "Express service" is not 100% guaranteed and in case it won't work u will get the 200 RM back and the passport only few hours later (when the plane is already in Samui).

So if u decide to buy a return air ticket Samui-Penang now it's better to spend at least 4 nights in Penang.

That is what I was told when I visited Penang on Tuesday too. Also, if you are going to do the process yourself then you need to get in the queue very early as not everyone in the queue is able to lodge their application before 11:30.

I just returned from Penang via minibus. Getting the visas was straightforward for most everyone in our group, however upon returning to Thailand at Sadao crossing all of us on TVs were asked to insert 200thb in our passports in order to avoid having to prove 20000 in cash. I had a bank statement, hotel receipts and onward ticket info etc... but was told that was no good. Our driver did say "up to you" but implied that it would be rude as we would end up in the office for some rather lengthy questioning and that would hold up the rest of the bus. Work permit holders were not asked for this, which sort of makes sense, I guess.

I had read about this practice on these forums so I was not surprised, but everyone else in the van was not amused and protested that they didn't need to do this last time etc etc...Next time I might try having the 20k on hand just to see if it really makes a difference...

Anyways just confirming the practice.

I just returned from Penang via minibus. Getting the visas was straightforward for most everyone in our group, however upon returning to Thailand at Sadao crossing all of us on TVs were asked to insert 200thb in our passports in order to avoid having to prove 20000 in cash. I had a bank statement, hotel receipts and onward ticket info etc... but was told that was no good. Our driver did say "up to you" but implied that it would be rude as we would end up in the office for some rather lengthy questioning and that would hold up the rest of the bus. Work permit holders were not asked for this, which sort of makes sense, I guess.

I had read about this practice on these forums so I was not surprised, but everyone else in the van was not amused and protested that they didn't need to do this last time etc etc...Next time I might try having the 20k on hand just to see if it really makes a difference...

Was this your 4th (or more) back to back visa too? Or anyone else in your group that you know of had more than 3?

My next will be my 4th back to back entry if I get it.

Was this your 4th (or more) back to back visa too? Or anyone else in your group that you know of had more than 3?

My next will be my 4th back to back entry if I get it.

No it was my first, I was here on an exemption up till now. Someone in my group was asking about that and the agent at the hotel told us that they would only give out three consecutive TV's in Penang consulate. He recommended going to a different consulate if you had three consecutive TV's from the same consulate.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

plus will the hotel take passport to embassy for the visa as well and what is cost of this?

Yes they do it all for you. I only got them to return it for me and they charged about 200baht as I recall , so I imagine 400baht for them to both apply and get it back.

• 7 months later...

The lady at Banana hotel said you're only allowed to have 3 entries per year on tourist visas. I think this may be true but that's not to say that it's getting enforced, as the OP shows.

It is not true. People goes to Laos because of the double entry visa, from the South it can be done economically with Air Asia.

At what consulate, please and this is for a multiple entry ( 2 or 3 ) Tourist visa?

The lady at Banana hotel said you're only allowed to have 3 entries per year on tourist visas. I think this may be true but that's not to say that it's getting enforced, as the OP shows.

It is not true. People goes to Laos because of the double entry visa, from the South it can be done economically with Air Asia.

At what consulate, please and this is for a multiple entry ( 2 or 3 ) Tourist visa?

A 2 entry tourist visa is a available in Vientiane or Savannakhet Laos.

• Like 1

A 2 entry tourist visa is a available in Vientiane or Savannakhet Laos.

Maybe I need to start a new thread, but I would like to get a multi entry tourist visa in Penang or KL.

Is this possible? I'm USA Citizen on a brand new passport

If not, will the single entry give me 60 days which I then can extend for 30 days within Thailand,

If so any way to get a re entry permit in case i need to leave ?

thanks again in advance

There no multiple entry tourist visa. They are only issued by the number of entries allowed. The only nearby location that does 2 entry tourist visa is in Laos.

A single entry visa would give one 60 day entry that can be extended for 30 days.

A re-entry permit can be obtained that would keep the 60 day entry valid when you re-enter the country if you wanted to travel.

There no multiple entry tourist visa. They are only issued by the number of entries allowed. The only nearby location that does 2 entry tourist visa is in Laos.

A single entry visa would give one 60 day entry that can be extended for 30 days.

A re-entry permit can be obtained that would keep the 60 day entry valid when you re-enter the country if you wanted to travel.

OK Thank you for this clarification. So the re entry does not extend the validity, only allows one to travel out and back within that validity?

And Penang does not require an air ticket out? Is this official or just a lax day on rules subject to whim?

I'm trying to decide best place to get a tourist visa. I have a new US passport with no stamps. My current permit to stay is up next week and I need to be in Penang for other reasons.

I'd like to be able to stay until early Dec so a single entry giving me 90 days will suffice IF I can leave one time, which is appears I can do with a re entry permit.

BUT I do not have any air tickets out of Asia and do not want this to stymie my plans. I do own a car registered in MY and am thinking I could show this registration in lieu of tickets as I'm driving in and out. Any caveats appreciated.