What will the future be like for Thailand?

flyingsaucersarereal

So I was thinking about this the other day will Thailand ever be like countries in the west?

In 30 years will there be real traffic laws that are enforced?

Will there be power lines that aren't a total tangled mess?

Will the potholes be fixed?

Basically will the infrastructure be what it is in America or Europe?

Do you believe that will happened and if so how long?

Will the potholes ever be fixed? Not in the UK they are not.

Will the Thai police have ANPR? I doubt it. What good will it do them?

You have to realise that Thailand is living so far behind the west it is incredible. And the Thai people do not really want all this technology and stuff. Many are happy with the way things are.

• Like 1

You have to realise that Thailand is living so far behind the west it is incredible. And the Thai people do not really want all this technology and stuff. Many are happy with the way things are.

UK Roads are way way better than ANY Thai roads

No one can ever fill all the potholes. But they can make them a little smaller so that a whole tuktuk won't fall in them

Comparing Thai and developed world roads and saying it happens everywhere.

Holes in the earth's crust happen, so screw it, Thailand can have holes in the road...

• Like 1

Development , not just in Thailand but in Many Asian countries is seen as Major construction projects sending Billions of USD. For me you can have as many high speed railways , maglevs and tallest buildings you like , that will not "Develop" the people. Decent education , health care, police force and a social fund for the poor are the priorities, . These "Mega project" are to line the pockets of construction companies and politicians who "Benefit" form them

There is not much point in having Skyscapers and State of the art Modern Transport, if people are living in poverty , illiterate with no recognizable law enforcement

If it continues for 30 years I believe things will not change for the better

Ah, this is true and it isn't. I mean, some projects serve a purpose. What about the BTS and the MRT? Are you gonna tell me people aren't using those every day?

But I also see what you're saying. It just takes time to train people (on a national level) on how to make the most of certain technologies. South Koreans tell me Seoul looked just like Bangkok 40 years ago, so I'm gonna hope and trust things improve here.

• Like 1

Development , not just in Thailand but in Many Asian countries is seen as Major construction projects sending Billions of USD. For me you can have as many high speed railways , maglevs and tallest buildings you like , that will not "Develop" the people. Decent education , health care, police force and a social fund for the poor are the priorities, . These "Mega project" are to line the pockets of construction companies and politicians who "Benefit" form them

There is not much point in having Skyscapers and State of the art Modern Transport, if people are living in poverty , illiterate with no recognizable law enforcement

If it continues for 30 years I believe things will not change for the better

Ah, this is true and it isn't. I mean, some projects serve a purpose. What about the BTS and the MRT? Are you gonna tell me people aren't using those every day?

But I also see what you're saying. It just takes time to train people (on a national level) on how to make the most of certain technologies. South Koreans tell me Seoul looked just like Bangkok 40 years ago, so I'm gonna hope and trust things improve here.

If I could afford to live in Tokyo I would, but I'd still take Bangkok's warm climate over Seoul any day of the week and I expect that Tokyo in January wouldn't thrill me either. Admittedly, 6 months in shorts and t-shirt didnt prepare me for last week's little adventure, but the wind in Seoul was bracing to say the least - weather like that colors every aspect of your life. In infrastructure terms, the Tokyo districts I spent time in were far closer to my 'ideal city' than anything I saw in Seoul : YMMV.

As far as Thailand is concerned, I'll go beyond ExPratt's closing sentence - I see Bangkok becoming another Jakarta and Pattaya another Bandung, and I doubt that anyone here will welcome that future, Jakarta's nightlife notwithstanding. We can swap traffic horror stories, but Jakartans live those horror stories daily - that has to take it's toll. ExPratt is 100% correct - you dont just throw more money at toll roads and expect your traffic problems to magically disappear because you're 'developing' the country, but that's precisely how Indonesia and Thailand seem to operate - only one outcome when you cant think outside the box ....

taking_the_train_640_07.jpg

And some Bandung traffic for those days when you cant take the train ;)

giant-traffic-jam1.jpg

Edited by MrWorldwide
  • Like 1

So I was thinking about this the other day will Thailand ever be like countries in the west?

In 30 years will there be real traffic laws that are enforced?

Will there be power lines that aren't a total tangled mess?

Will the potholes be fixed?

Basically will the infrastructure be what it is in America or Europe?

Do you believe that will happened and if so how long?

Yo, check out India. Compared to there, Thai infrastructure is like West Germany. Love India, also Thailand, but neither country can just drop everything and start over. BTW, love Germany, too.

I just spent 3 months in India. Been traveling there since 1974. My self and many friends that spend a lot of time there feel it is the same, most probably worse. Actually the cities definitely and many of the villages I was in in West Bengal were nightmarish.

Not much has changed in 40 years, only now there's alot more people and bigger piles of shit everywhere. Stepping outside a 4 star hotel in Mumbai where I stayed was like stepping into a giant toilet, sights, smells you name it. Disgusting and disturbing.

Anyone who's been there knows. Kolkata was even worse, sad really. I saw a completely naked man strolling through a major intersection at midday. No one batted an eye. What's wrong with this picture?

I much prefer the Thailand where I pulled into Sattahip in 1971 with the USN. Pattaya was dirt roads and tin shacks with fishing nets all over the place. I think there were 2 or 3 bars, The girls would sometimes stay with us for a meal, a couple drinks and a clean hotel room. Bangkok was mostly rice fields. Man if this is Progress, too bad.

We were treated like kings, I'd say up until the mid 90's. I think "we" the US had a lot to do with "the way things are." If it wasn't us though, someone else would have done it. I've never seen so many homeless beggars around Bangkok and the vacant lots are filled with trash. Anyway this is the world and it ain't going to be getting better.

I'm heading for the islands...