Thailand Hot Air Ballon Festival 6-7 Dec 2014. Chiang Mai

jkinbkk

I heard a rumor that the 200Bhat tickets are supposed to be only for the nightly raffles that they have and not for an entrance fee. I don't know if this is true or not as I always paid the $$ like all the other sheep to the slaughter, but I think it might be worth questioning them about this year.

I love the fact that I live just South of Gymkhana and when they launch they fly right over my house. Bonus!

Fore!!!

People should invest 1000 bhat in a golf ball for the big prize when the balls are dropped from one of the balloons onto the Gymkhana course. Closest to a hole carved in the turf on one of the fairways gets 30,000 bhat! This is a Rotary club charitable thing. Look for Rotary Club International Chiang Mai on Google or Facebook. Probably details there. Fun...unless you happen to be playing a round on the fairway at that time!

Edited by Mapguy

Ha, ha! They won't let anyone get close to the fairway when the golf balls are dropped out of the balloon for the Rotary's charity fund raiser! But, it should still be a sight to see. This is a popular charity fund raiser in the U.S. only they do it from helicopters over golf courses there. The CM Int'l Rotary Club couldn't find where anyone has done it from a tethered hot air balloon.

The drop will be during the Opening Ceremony on December 6 around 4 pm. You can purchase tickets for a golf ball from any member of the Rotary club and at the Expats Club's Coffee Morning on Friday, December 5, 10 am - 12:00 noon at River Market.

Admission for one person to the Opening Ceremony of the Balloon Festival is included in the 1000 baht price of the golf ball ticket.

Edited by NancyL

A marvelous sight yesterday morning as not one, but six, of these big balloons passed low over my house near Doi Saket.

Sounds great. Much better than the obnoxious paramotors that seem so popular over here.

Have to say I enjoy them too, Something about flight that fascinates me.