Get new laptop backlight at Pantip?

youbuyshirt

My 5 year old, 14 inch laptop's display was flickering, it would light up for one or two seconds and then go black. This went on intermittently for a few weeks. Now the backlight finally seems to have died.

The reason I've kept this machne as long as I have is that it has the older, bigger 16:10 aspect ratio screen. I hate the new lower-height 16:9 displays that have become standard.

Do you think this could be fixed at Pantip and how much might it cost? Are backlights fairly generic or does each model laptop require its own custom part? Because this is an older style display I fear that nobody will have a NEW backlight for it, only second hand.

The LCD is in fine condition, it's only the backlight that is dead/dying (or it might be the inverter, who knows?)

I'm in Cambo now but planning another trip to Bkk in a few weeks. Trying to determine if it's worth waiting or if I should just buy a new laptop here.

While you are waiting, check on eBay for both backlight and inverter availability. There's loads of computer recyclers and you should get lucky if your brick is about 5 years old. Order the parts, have them shipped ahead of your travel and then it will be a case of giving a repair shop the laptop and the parts they need. I have done this with a couple of 'legacy' laptops.

Note that you really need to be specific with your laptop model number and very specific regarding the LCD and inverter since laptop manufacturers may outsource LCD's from different vendors and these tend to be matched with a specific inverter. If buying both, read the technical details given by the seller. A good clue is if you see the same seller selling the LCD your need AND the inverter on a similarly dated auction. Chances are they are from the same machine but always check first.

Zeer Rangsit may be a better choice for new/used replacement parts. Take your machine and wander around the 3rd and 4th floors.

I'd put money on the inverter, or if you're really lucky, a loose connection.

While you are waiting, check on eBay for both backlight and inverter availability. There's loads of computer recyclers and you should get lucky if your brick is about 5 years old. Order the parts, have them shipped ahead of your travel and then it will be a case of giving a repair shop the laptop and the parts they need. I have done this with a couple of 'legacy' laptops.

Note that you really need to be specific with your laptop model number and very specific regarding the LCD and inverter since laptop manufacturers may outsource LCD's from different vendors and these tend to be matched with a specific inverter. If buying both, read the technical details given by the seller. A good clue is if you see the same seller selling the LCD your need AND the inverter on a similarly dated auction. Chances are they are from the same machine but always check first.

Thanks for the suggestion. It's an excellent idea but not practical. I'd have to buy both parts, backlight and inverter, even though I might need only one of them or possibly neither if it's just a loose connection. Then I'd have to pay for shipping to Cambodia (probably prohibitively costly) where I don't even know if I could take delivery of them without all sorts of complications. Then if they are defective or not as advertised, can't easily return them.

If I can't fix this cheaply it's not worth doing, it would be better to just buy a new laptop.

Edited by youbuyshirt

Zeer Rangsit may be a better choice for new/used replacement parts. Take your machine and wander around the 3rd and 4th floors.

Thanks. Is Zeer Rangsit in Pantip?

How much do you think this repair might cost? Can you or anyone else make a guess based on your knowledge of repair prices in Bkk?

Thanks. Is Zeer Rangsit in Pantip?

How much do you think this repair might cost? Can you or anyone else make a guess based on your knowledge of repair prices in Bkk?

Zeer Rangsit is NOT in Pantip. It is in Rangsit, out past Don Muang.