Wearing A Hidden Camera For A Uk Visa Interview?

Having read a fair few negative comments about the UK visa experiance, especially the interview where the Thai gal gets treated like a 2 bit hooker :o I was just wondering whether a Candid Camera type operation would make interesting viewing..............

I am not proposing to do this myself (I know it is the Thai person who get's the interview / 3rd degree) - but would it actually be physically possible for someone to go into an interview "wired up"? I am guessing that folk are not body searched and what with techology being smaller and smaller it would not exactly be like hiding a Video Camera under a Sombrero :D

I was thinking that maybe after half a dozen Thais have been interviewed and the results then posted on the Net that it may assist subsequent folk at least getting treated proffessionally / politely.........for a while anyway.

Any thoughts?

Or maybe volunteers??

Quite a nifty idea, Jersey, but applicants are scanned as they enter the embassy and, I presume, a pinhole camera could be located. I don't profess to know the ins-and-outs of the technology, though.

The lucky person could then sell their story and video to the Daily Heil.

Scouse.

Let's see catching a foreign applicant with a video camera in a embassy - sounds like could be considered espionage since most embassy(s) also are bases for intelligence agencies. Honestly I don't think its a good idea and bound to be caught, plus the legality of taping a party without prior knowledge might be in question. :o

Edited by britmaveric

Wondered if any had requested their ECO's interview notes?

Interview notes

You should ensure that accurate and legible interview notes are kept for all refusals and in particular where the decision is appealable. You should ensure that your notes are as full as circumstances allow and that they contain no personal shorthand. Any abbreviations should be explained in a footnote. You must be able to substantiate anything you treat as fact and be able to show reasonable grounds for not being satisfied on matters of opinion, such as a person’s intentions.

If an applicant requests a copy of their interview notes, they should be supplied free of charge.

See also 13.16 - Interviewing

Recording the interview

It is essential that the actual questions and answers leading up to and including the critical points of an interview are accurately recorded and that the report includes interview notes. These should be typed if possible. You should bear in mind that accuracy is paramount. The report of the interview may be challenged in a public hearing in connection with an appeal against a refusal decision.

Edited by vinny

From our experience (2 interviews for the wife, one for the step-son) and the majority I have read and been told about, you'll have to film an awful lot of interviews before getting any evidence of rudeness or disrespect.

record sound with a mobile phone, I doubt they would even mind.

Really though honestly, if you have nothing to hide, why should getting the visa be a problem?

Exactly it shouldn't , but if an ECO chooses to make it so by his or her interpretation of the documentation shown then i think recoding equipment should be allowed. You could equally say if they have nothing to hide why should they object ?? hmmm....?

Just an idea / wanted to hear folks reactions - would have thought that you could get away with something that looks like a mobile phone - for the security check, not talking Hollywood wide screen quality - and which can get set up to record once someone is in the building. I guess (hope?!!) they are more worried about nutters with bombs! Anyway, not going to be me!!

I quite liked this comment:-

i think recoding equipment should be allowed. You could equally say if they have nothing to hide why should they object ?? hmmm....?

but this does of course ONLY ever apply one way............... :o

I think any objection would be to secretly filming, i.e. without permission.

I remember a TV programme a few years back on the visa section in, I think, Lagos. They showed film of visa interviews. So, presumably, if you ask first and have a good reason they may very well let you film or record the interview.

Despite what some may think, they have nothing to hide.

I have no direct experience with interviews at the UK embassy, but it seems to me that a lot of folks complain about it.

It is quite possible that many interviews are carried out by those who try to agitate the one being interviewed, thus possibly revealing the true character of the interviewee as to how the situation is handled.

One thing I have learned (in a recent interview process with an organization that I will not name), is that those conducting the interviews have absolutely no clue about the person being interviewed, other than what the person has written in their application. (To this day, this organization still does not know my favorite color. :o)

The last point I made might not make sense to some, but think about it.... If a person states that they are a homemaker, or a salesperson, or whatever, how is the UK embassy or anyone else for that matter going to refute that (unless they perform an in-depth investigation). It is unlikely that any background investigation will be performed by the UK embassy, or any other embassy for that matter (too costly).

The simply make their decisions based on the information provided by the applicant, police reports, medical reports, etc. It would be impractical, if not impossible for any embassy to send out a field agent to determine the true background of a foreign individual.

Therefore, if you know someone who will be interviewed, tell them to relax and stick to the information provided in the application, regardless of any attempts by the interviewer to befriend them and then get them to alter their background "story". Many of these interviewers are psychologists, and believe me, they know how to trip a person up.

Please tell your friend good luck with her interview.

I think any objection would be to secretly filming, i.e. without permission.

I remember a TV programme a few years back on the visa section in, I think, Lagos. They showed film of visa interviews. So, presumably, if you ask first and have a good reason they may very well let you film or record the interview.

Despite what some may think, they have nothing to hide.

What do you mean "have a good reason.."? There is only one reason isn't there ? To have a record of what really went on at the interview to use in the future. What other reason is there? If as you say they have nothing to hide then why would they refuse?

Perhaps the next person who has an interview scheduled and reads this first can ask and report back what the answer is . Or why not ring the embassy and ask?

I can’t speak for the Brit embassy but other embassies I’ve entered scanned and frisked me plus had signs up stating no filming or mobile phones. You never know what other bug detecting equipment they have in embassies.

I think you could be in deep poo if caught with a hidden camera.

I can’t speak for the Brit embassy but other embassies I’ve entered scanned and frisked me plus had signs up stating no filming or mobile phones. You never know what other bug detecting equipment they have in embassies.

I think you could be in deep poo if caught with a hidden camera.

Why doesn't that surprise me !! They can't have people seeing what really goes on can they.

Send a letter to the embassy anonymously that you will be wearing a camera to your interview just in case you get caught. If you don't get caught who cares about the visa sell the story to the BBC as lack of security at embassies.

Embassy people everywhere need to do better work. They beat on the weak and let those with cash go through without much problem. In the end, they have lots of failure in their screening processes. Improve you embeciles!

As I stated embassy(s) are home bases for intelligence services and diplomatic business - not hard to understand why filming would not be allowed.

Thats a handy excuse . Also stops the ECO's tactics from being filmed and from people seeing what really went on rather than what the notes choose to say. Like not allowing the UK partner to witness the interview also does. Very convenient .

Apart from other considerations, there are issues of confidentiality here. See DSPs Vol 1 chapter 6 para 6.1 - Need for confidentiality. Filming or recording the interview could be seen as breaking this confidence, even if the applicant has knowledge of the filming or recording.

As for the conduct of the interview, and allowing sponsors to attend, see DSPs Vol 1 chapter 8 para 8.13 - Interviews.

As I stated embassy(s) are home bases for intelligence services and diplomatic business - not hard to understand why filming would not be allowed.

Thats a handy excuse . Also stops the ECO's tactics from being filmed and from people seeing what really went on rather than what the notes choose to say. Like not allowing the UK partner to witness the interview also does. Very convenient .

Why should you witness the interview? They are trying to determine the validity of said visa and what better way than have a nice chat alone with the person who is requesting the visa? If everything is up/up you should have no worries. :o

To britmaveric,

why wouldn't you want it recorded if there is nothing to hide. ? That way there is irrefutable proof of what has happened , what was asked and what the response was. I don't think any applicant would object but i can see why the Embassy would .. don't need to spell it out do i ? :o

From DSPs Vol 1 chapter 8 para 8.13 - Interviews, Sponsors

at the discretion of the visa officer sponsors or representatives for instance solicitors, may be permitted to attend an interview with an applicant, but will be given observer status only. They may make notes but should not intervene.
and Observers at interviews
Occasionally Posts will receive requests from MPs, solicitors and other representatives to attend an applicant’s interview as an observer. There is no objection to this provided that:-

the applicant concerned has no objection;

the representative clearly understands that, as an observer, he/she must not intervene while the interview is taking place. The observer may make comments on the case to the ECO at the end of the interview. These conditions should be made clear in advance, and in writing if necessary. If the observer fails to abide by them, the interview may be terminated.

I imagine that a request to film or record the interview may well be treated the same as a request to have an observer present.

The ECOs have nothing to hide.

Having read a fair few negative comments about the UK visa experiance, especially the interview where the Thai gal gets treated like a 2 bit hooker :D I was just wondering whether a Candid Camera type operation would make interesting viewing.............

for sure it would make interesting viewing.....but as for the ' 2 bit hookers'.....this can be hepled by the way some of them dress for the occasion.....i've seen some that looked like they come straight from their place of work... :o .....also a well organised folder with everything in place goes a long way...........