Why do Fortuner's get a bad wrap?

David48

A guy posted, tongue in cheek, this ...

The OP was quite lucky. If that had been a Fortuner with 4 teachers in it...

I get the 'Teachers' bit ... but why do Fortuner's get a bad wrap?

Apologies to NanLaew ... wai.gif ... please don't reflect to him.

• Like 1

I've never seen one with a wrap. Maybe it was wrapped around a power pole? Maybe it was wrapped in something?

As for a bum rap, I don't know. tongue.png

Aussie slang ... sorry for that.

Maybe 'bad press'?

'Unfavourable reviews'?

'Not considered highly'.

Some interesting comments ... thanks to all.

Personally, I like the look of them.

But I'm not an 'aspirational car owner' (any more ... my first love was an Alpha).

Have they been around, in Thailand, more then 10 years?

Unless I win Lotto ... I'll never be a new car owner ... facepalm.gif

• Like 2

A couple of decades ago, the international school staff car du jour was the ubiquitous Suzuki 4WD. It was notorious for falling over like a drunk from the breeze of an overtaking Honda Wave. So the Fortuner is a step up and more reflects the outrageous salaries paid to international school teachers.

Some interesting comments ... thanks to all.

Personally, I like the look of them.

But I'm not an 'aspirational car owner' (any more ... my first love was an Alpha).

Have they been around, in Thailand, more then 10 years?

Unless I win Lotto ... I'll never be a new car owner ... facepalm.gif

Wonder if the 2014 concept 'Montreal' will make it into production ? something nice was the 1970's 'Montreal' [OK they had there problems]

Time to save your pennies or is that Baht

Alfa Romeo will unveil eight new models between now and 2018 as the Italian carmaker completely restructures its line-up – and sets its sights firmly on Germany’s main premium manufacturers.

Read more: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/alfa-romeo/86889/alfa-romeo-confirms-eight-new-models-by-2018#ixzz3JwkRcgq1

Anyone ever seen a Alfa 'Montreal' here ?? seen a few other Citroen SM's here but never a 'Montreal' on the road.

A couple of decades ago, the international school staff car du jour was the ubiquitous Suzuki 4WD. It was notorious for falling over like a drunk from the breeze of an overtaking Honda Wave. So the Fortuner is a step up and more reflects the outrageous salaries paid to international school teachers.

... cheesy.gif

... always making me smile.

Maybe because it's simply a Hilux posing as an SUV. Not that a Hilux is a sh1t vehicle, but it is simply a pick-up afterall, with a pick-up chassis, suspension, brakes etc

Very clever of Toyota to do this. Very stupid of the public if they think they are getting anything other than a pick-up posing as an SUV.

Not sure about the teacher connection - but that is one profession that are pretty high in the stupid stakes

"Maybe because it's simply a Hilux posing as an SUV. Not that a Hilux is a sh1t vehicle, but it is simply a pick-up afterall, with a pick-up chassis, suspension, brakes etc"

Isn't a a pickup a vehicle with a cab and an open bed at the rear? A Fortuner definitely isn't a pickup as you state, it is a SUV.

The Fortuner doesn't have the leaf spring rear suspension that the pickup has either. So it doesn't have pickup suspension.

How does a pickup braking system differ from an SUV system, they're both either discs or drums, the same as every other car on the planet aren't they?

Regarding your assertions that the public are very stupid for buying Fortuners and that the teaching profession is highly stupid, your observations simply highlight who is really the stupid one. Just to give you a clue it's not the Fortuner buyers or professional teachers.

Rear springs don't make a different vehicle - .

They certainly don't make a Fortuner a pickup either

Maybe because it's simply a Hilux posing as an SUV. Not that a Hilux is a sh1t vehicle, but it is simply a pick-up afterall, with a pick-up chassis, suspension, brakes etc

Very clever of Toyota to do this. Very stupid of the public if they think they are getting anything other than a pick-up posing as an SUV.

Not sure about the teacher connection - but that is one profession that are pretty high in the stupid stakes

"Maybe because it's simply a Hilux posing as an SUV. Not that a Hilux is a sh1t vehicle, but it is simply a pick-up afterall, with a pick-up chassis, suspension, brakes etc"

Isn't a a pickup a vehicle with a cab and an open bed at the rear? A Fortuner definitely isn't a pickup as you state, it is a SUV.

The Fortuner doesn't have the leaf spring rear suspension that the pickup has either. So it doesn't have pickup suspension.

How does a pickup braking system differ from an SUV system, they're both either discs or drums, the same as every other car on the planet aren't they?

Regarding your assertions that the public are very stupid for buying Fortuners and that the teaching profession is highly stupid, your observations simply highlight who is really the stupid one. Just to give you a clue it's not the Fortuner buyers or professional teachers.

Rear springs don't make a different vehicle - .

They certainly don't make a Fortuner a pickup either

??

The next generation Toyota Hilux was caught on test in Thailand and Australia recently. As readers may be aware, the Fortuner is the people-carrying SUV based on the Hilux’s platform, and this platform sharing will continue on succession.

Read more: http://indianautosblog.com/2014/04/2016-toyota-hilux-toyota-fortuner-spied-129032#ixzz3Jx3Kjifm

Follow us: @indianautos on Twitter | IndianAutosBlog on Facebook

My thoughts....smile.png

Without doubt the Fortuner is Thailands Rolls Royce in the eyes of the locals. Anyone who owns one is looked at as Hi-So, made it in life.

Reliability is second to non and has proved itself over many years

The Vigo is longer than the Fortuner so the chassis are not the same, plus the modern approach to suspension by using coil springs all round is used.

As for the "blanket" statement that ALL Fortuner drivers are bad or heavy footed, thats daft. rolleyes.gif

No, I can't afford one......facepalm.gif ...........laugh.png

When yours comes up for sale next year ... I've got a lazy Bt 250,000 ... whistling.gif

Nice Blue colour from memory?

Far form being an "expensive" SUV, the Fortuner being a pickup intensive labour built vehicle is actually relatively cheap compared to more sophisticated SUV models - e.g Toyota Prado , Harrier etc.....

Trivia: The J150 platform is the IMV platform under a different name. The Landcruiser Prado is the Fortuner's slightly bigger, slightly posher brother ;)

• Like 2

A Fortuner owner perhaps? A teacher perhaps? Most likely both!

Just to put you straight however, I have no grief against folks who buy Fortuners. Just don't pretend you've bought an SUV.

Compare, if you can, its ride with say a Captiva, or an Explorer.

At best it's a crossover, but really: it's Toyota's No.1 pickup with a fancy body bolted to the chassis rather than the cab & open bed of the Hilux.

"A Fortuner owner perhaps? A teacher perhaps? Most likely both!"

Neither actually, just an objective poster with an LS430 and an XJR. If you think you are in a position to put me "straight", you must be suffering from delusions of adequacy.

"I have no grief against folks who buy Fortuners."

Really? Didn't you say they were stupid?

So is a Toyota Mini Bus a Toyota pick up, is a Pick up a Mini Bus, is an Innova a pick up, Is a Fortuner an Innova or do they just happen to share the same chassis ?

To me, and correct me if I'm wrong, they all look like totally different vehicles, sharing a frame seems to be the connection, but again, they are all different.

Yes I'm a Fortuner owner and have been since January 2006, and the reason I have kept it so long is simple, there is no other vehicle I would rather have in Thailand unless I had an endless stream of cash, its a great go anywhere ride and has so far been bulletproof, One set of Tires and One replacement Battery and one electric wing mirror motor (600 Baht) in nearly nine years is all that has been replaced.

The Fortuner is a great workhorse, sure, its no BMW X5 ( Which I would really like but its outside my price range by 5.5 Million) and at 5,500,000 Baht less it doesn't pretend to be, we are very limited here in Thailand when it comes to vehicles, unless you are quite wealthy and can afford an Import and all the problems that come with it, the Fortuner is still a great choice, and has been since 2005.

I will keep mine at least until the new Toyota Pick up based SUV comes along, and if I could get another 9 - 10 years trouble free, go anywhere motoring, I'd be straight in for another one, and the buyer of my 9 - 10 year old Fortuner would be getting a great Thailand vehicle.

Why do they get a bad wrap ?

Mostly it's because they are outside many peoples price range, it's kind of like the way Big expensive motorcycles are slagged off by old men on their Honda Waves, they can't afford one themselves or couldn't handle one, so they slag them off, it's easier than admitting they're as jealous as %*#! , or wishing they were 40 years younger. smile.png

Minibuses are not part of the IMV range - but many Toyotas share parts - either engines or whatever, but the IMV was developed as a range of 3 vehicles based on a common set of mechanicals and parts to be produced in this region. Their production lines also share common methods - the Toyota line system and common machinery.They have since expended production into other "developing" countries.

IMV share a lot more than just the chassis - they share most mechanical parts, accessories and even a lot of glass and body panels - they have the same range of inline engines RWD and rigid rear axles - variations to engine type and 4WD are optional on some models only but the basic vehicle is the same thing......... just because they LOOK different from the outside doesn't mean they are very different from an overall perspective.

i agree with your assessment of the vehicle itself - it is ideal for Thailand - of course Toyota know this - that is why it was originally developed here.

Edited by wilcopops