Why do Fortuner's get a bad wrap?

David48

wiki

The Fortuner is not offered in Japan, Europe, North America, Australasia, or China. For the medium pick-up based SUV segment in those markets, Toyota offers the Hilux Surf (Japan), 4Runner (North America) and Land Cruiser Prado (Europe, Australasia and China). However, in some Central American countries (Panama for example), Toyota offers the Fortuner alongside the 4Runner and Land Cruiser Prado.

1 Markets

1.1 Argentina 1.2 Colombia 1.3 Ecuador 1.4 Egypt 1.5 Venezuela 1.6 South Africa 1.7 Pakistan 1.8 India 1.9 Indonesia 1.10 Malaysia 1.11 Philippines 1.12 Singapore 1.13 Jamaica 1.14 Vietnam 1.15 Saudi Arabia and UAE 1.16 Kazakhstan

If they were treated as the cheap practical vehicle they are instead of some self important status symbol/road blocking ram they probably wouldn't get the same rap.

Yet people who drive them here drive them like barges and everybody else should get out their way.

It's an underpowered , overweight barge. 2 tonnes with rear drum brakes and pick up truck suspension until recently.

It's made pretty much only for developing and third world countries. Yet wannabes here think it's a status symbol.

In short it has become naff. A truck with extra windows paraded as a status symbol. Pick up chassis, pick up brakes, pick up steering, pick up engine, pick up drive train. It aint a luxury car as people pretend it to be.

Poor mans C-class which also = naff.

Things that are seen as 'status symbols' are pretty much always seen as naff.

Although they provide great entertainment when you put your foot down when they sit up your backside (when the traffic moves slowly and they eventually catch up) or when you have to undertake them hogging the outside lane swerve across them and then put your foot down with your hazards on. whistling.gif

I pretty much agree with all you have said. I have one but have about 40k in 4 years, mostly with the gf running up and down to Khorat. When I bought it I was looking to buy a Vios or whatever. Just some wheels. Then I looked at what you got for your cash with a Vigo and was about to buy then thought sod it. The Fortuner is exactly what you say, a decently priced runabout (for Thailand). I bought it with that in mind and haven't been disappointed. I let the missus drive us around though as I can't be arsed or get too wound up with shitty Thai driving habits.... Happy happy

• Like 1

After driving Vigos in Greenland for several years I wanted to by one when I retired in Phuket more than 8 years ago.

But after I saw and drove the Fortuner I was sold, the suspension is more carlike and a lot of room inside and I did not need the cargo space out back.

My Fortuner, diesel 3.0 4WD Aut., is now more than 8 years old and have driven 175.000 km in almost all Changwats. It just got its 3 rd. set of tires and is on the 3 rd. battery, have got dish pads one time and service of the aircon one time, except for that only filter and oil change and what else they change at 10.000km service intervals and services at Toyota are cheap.

For these who say Fortuner lack power, I think they have never driven the 3.0 diesel, it do not lack power not even in mountain driving.

I like driving around in Thailand and just follow the flow, but certainly not in the slow lane with the 10 wheelers. In Greenland I could only drive around in town, so driving here is a pleasure. And I have not observed in all my driving that Fortuner drivers drive better or worse than others.

Driving around in Phuket i get 10 km a liter and on long distances at a moderat speed a little more.

If I feel I can afford the new Fortuner next year I will buy one after it have been on the market for some month. My small thai wife will not let me buy a passenger car, she too like to drive the Fortuner.

So to the OPs question: I do not think Fortuners or their drivers have a bad rap/wrap, they drive just like every one else.

Excuse if my english lack some, but I am not from an english speaking country.

• Like 2

My thoughts....smile.png

Without doubt the Fortuner is Thailands Rolls Royce in the eyes of the locals. Anyone who owns one is looked at as Hi-So, made it in life.

Reliability is second to non and has proved itself over many years

The Vigo is longer than the Fortuner so the chassis are not the same, plus the modern approach to suspension by using coil springs all round is used.

As for the "blanket" statement that ALL Fortuner drivers are bad or heavy footed, thats daft. rolleyes.gif

No, I can't afford one......facepalm.gif ...........

Toyota Fortuner is as good as the Toyota landcruiser I had many Company Landcrusiers in Western Australia & West Africa Yeah nice Vehicle but Crazy Price,

The Fortuner is Ok Yeah My Wife own one & times I take it for a drive Yeah can Blow you off the Road but Our Fortuner is Painted White,

Toyota For Life

Sorry but they really lack power on Nan Mountains, we had the first Spivo at one time. Arthurwait C Class remark is right on. also overpriced and naff.Gimme a 4x4 Vigo like T.A.s for value.Why is it new Mazda 3 Owners are never on the Defensive, is Value for money defence enough.

• Like 1

I've never seen one with a wrap. Maybe it was wrapped around a power pole? Maybe it was wrapped in something?

As for a bum rap, I don't know. tongue.png

Aussie slang ... sorry for that.

Maybe 'bad press'?

'Unfavourable reviews'?

'Not considered highly'.

no, it is not aussie slang, it is common parlance in the us, Canada and i assume the uk too. you just spell it wrong.

A couple of decades ago, the international school staff car du jour was the ubiquitous Suzuki 4WD. It was notorious for falling over like a drunk from the breeze of an overtaking Honda Wave. So the Fortuner is a step up and more reflects the outrageous salaries paid to international school teachers.

"Outrageous salaries"? How much do you think they get paid and how much do you think they should get paid?

Fortuner 1.1m

V60 2.3m thumbsup.gif.pagespeed.ce.dtxKiAJ9C7.gif

A good Fortuner with 3000 ccm diesel engine, aut. gearbox and 4WD cost 1.456.000 baht, if benzin 2700 ccm engine and 2WD 1.273.000 baht,

http://www.toyota.co.th/lite/en/product-detail.php?model=fortuner&opt=grades

I like to have a diesel engine and the higher ride, so to compare

Toyota Fortuner 1.456.000 baht

Volvo XC60 3.020.000 baht

So it seems that many owners of Fortuners are happy with their vehicles, whilst many non Fortuner owners seem unhappy about a vehicle they don't or can't afford to own. blink.png

Fortuner 1.1m

V60 2.3m thumbsup.gif

Nice car, but in Thailand, The Fortuner makes more sense for me and my pocket. thumbsup.gif

When I bought my top of the range Fortuner in January 2006, it was 1,249,000 Baht back then.

Edited by Banzai99

Fortuner's drive like a truck, have limited passenger space like a truck, but don't get the good fuel economy of a truck. Not to mention they are about a million baht more expensive than a truck.

rolleyes.gif ...............gawd........................coffee1.gif

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Fortuner's drive like a truck, have limited passenger space like a truck, but don't get the good fuel economy of a truck. Not to mention they are about a million baht more expensive than a truck.

alt=rolleyes.gif> ...............gawd........................coffee1.gif.pagespeed.ce.Ymlsr09gMJ.gif alt=coffee1.gif width=32 height=24>

Yes transam, he don't know what he's talking about beatdeadhorse.gif

• Like 1

if it reminds of a truck then he has every right to say so.........having driven almost all sizes and types of road vehicles, i'd say the Fortuner drives like it is based on a pickup....which it is, as for passenger space, well due to the reworking of the back end, even though the vehicle is shorter than the Vigo, it has better seating in the second row due to repositioning of those seats. Lance the small amount of room in the rear.

Toyota (and other manufacturers) have spent a lot of RD on getting basic pickups to handle more like cars - especially in countries like Thailand where they are a major part of the scenery.

the changes in rear suspension on the fortuner were primarily to shorten the wheelbase and then improve the ride - the handling was a secondary or tertiary benefit.

the driving position and the diesel engine are still the same as a pickup as is the general feel of the vehicle - having said that, i don't care - I LIKE driving vehicles like that......... if I want to whizz around corners and scream off lights, I'll get a sporty hatch or similar, but for driving in Thailand and neighbouring countries a 4WD Fortuner is an excellent choice - but please don't see it for anything other than what it is....... a pickup with a station wagon body bolted on.

Edited by wilcopops
  • Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

alt=rolleyes.gif> ...............gawd........................coffee1.gif.pagespeed.ce.Ymlsr09gMJ.gif alt=coffee1.gif width=32 height=24>

Do indeed know what I am talking about, I have personally driven one, found the drive to be harsh and while it may hold more passengers than a car it doesn't hold as many as a van.

Do indeed know what I am talking about, I have personally driven one, found the drive to be harsh and while it may hold more passengers than a car it doesn't hold as many as a van.

What do you mean by "harsh" ?....A Fortuner is designed to be an on/off road vehicle.

Do you expect it to have a saloon car suspension considering what it was built for..?

..but it can fly about the same distance as an elephant......so what???

People seem to have wandered away from the OP which was, just to remind you all "why do Fortuners get a bad rap?"

The answer has nothing to do whether it's a good car, or a bad car. Whether it handles great, or, doesnt.

It's all about a cliche and how it came to be a cliche here in most of Thailand. This cliche is alive and well in Phuket.

I have a feeling it's alive in Pattaya and quite a few other places.

The cliche is that Fortuner drivers drive their vehicle of choice like they are the only road-user, without a care for anyone else.

Is this cliche true? Certainly true enough to give birth to a cliche.......

• Like 2

What do you mean by "harsh" ?....A Fortuner is designed to be an on/off road vehicle.

Do you expect it to have a saloon car suspension considering what it was built for..?

Taking up 2 car park spaces ?

Tailgating (after it took 10 minutes to get upto speed) ?

Swerving across 3 lanes on the edge of adhesion ?

Lying upside down in a ditch ?

whistling.gif

Damn I said I wouldn't stir. biggrin.png

• Like 2

whistling.gif

Am glad you added that last sentence, was getting geared up for a reply...........laugh.png

• Like 1

Its kinda fun and interesting to make this stereotypes. But for some reason I think Mitsubishi Pajero drivers "always" drive like there is no tomorrow. Like the Benz drivers "always" cut in line, causing traffic for the other drivers.

Pissing me off that on Sukhumvit, three lanes are jammed because some a*hole using the middle lane for U-turn. *grrrr*

whistling.gif

Am glad you added that last sentence, was getting geared up for a reply...........laugh.png

Gentlemen ... corners please!

Ha Ha ... out of likes ... smile.png

Maybe because it's simply a Hilux posing as an SUV

There is a HUGE difference between a Hilux and a Fortuner.

cheesy.gif

Yep sure is. There's about 400KG of extra metal, glass and plastic in the wagon back, and leaf springs replaced with coils. Oh and different headlights and grille. How anyone could dare suggest they're highly similar just because they share 95% of their parts is beyond me :P

• Like 2