Chiang Mai: Academics suggest better alcohol sales laws

webfact

Academics suggest better alcohol sales laws

CHIANGMAI, 24 Nov 2014 (NNT) – Academics have suggested the government improve laws concerning alcohol sales following a study which shows that liquor shops near education institutes are mushrooming.

The study which covers education institutes around Chiangmai indicates that the number of shops selling alcoholic drinks within the 500 meter radius of colleges has jumped to 1,244, or a 83.6 percent jump. Of these outlets, 59 percent are categorized as pubs and karaoke bars. The rest comprises restaurants and barbecue shops.

The study also found that grocery stores and retail shops near education institutes did offer alcoholic drinks. These outlets at the same time try to launch PR campaigns to lure the young into drinking.

The results showed that alcohol sales-control measures around schools and colleges did not work. The study suggested that the government come up with sustainable policies and laws to better regulate alcohol sales, adding that social problems at provincial level should not be the responsibility of the provincial governor alone.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-11-24 footer_n.gif

Aren't there laws restricting alcohol sales now near hospitals, or such? I know on Sirimangkalajarn Road, near to Suthep Road there exists a 7-11 shop without BEER. The clerk told me 'too close to xxxx' and i think he said hospital, or mental hospital.

Really the only external method that could restrict alcohol sales would be massive taxes on every drop. Well worth it too, then funnel the revenue into education, etc. Another good idea comes from OZland where i hear of far-reaching and severe penalties for drink driving. One beer over the line and you are walking for 6 months. 2 over, walking one year. No escaping the penalties. I'm totally in favor of such near-draconian laws on alcohol and car usage.

I'm also somewhat sick of hearing all the moaning about the smoky haze caused by the farmers, and those health issues, raised by beer swilling expats sitting on the pub stools smoking the fags.

• Like 1

"Have suggested the government improve laws".

What do they mean by improve?

Just enforce the existings laws would be easier.

They can make as many laws as they want but if they aren't enforced then there's no point.

There is a restaurant about 20 metres from our university gate and it openly sells alcohol to students, yet 150 metres away is a completely "dry" 7/11.

• Like 1

One thing I have noticed in this country is that once the "academics" say something or suggest something it is soon forgotten or never acted upon

I wonder if it is because those in charge know exactly how lousy the education system is in this country and judge these "academics" based upon that

• Like 1

Having recently seen (again) a 9 year old wandering into a local mom and pop store at 3pm and picking up a crate of Leo (for I presume some family members), I don't think new laws are going to achieve anything, simply enforce the existing laws (which won't happen).

Really the only external method that could restrict alcohol sales would be massive taxes on every drop. Well worth it too, then funnel the revenue into education, etc.

Simple. Also a revenue raiser as jobin suggested.

But perhaps politically unpopular, especially among the folks that can't afford it, and votes do count.

But it's a shame the way having a bottle of alcohol at your table is an almost necessary ice breaker and status symbol.

Alcohol adverts near clubs such as "Give 100%" to friends is a despicable way to foster this trait.

The more you restrict something, often the more people want to do it. Especially with things like alcohol. They walk around, see people having fun, drinking, laughing, going to bars but nope, you're not allowed to have that fun says the big hand of the govern... coup.... whatever's in charge at that time.

Not unlike the Catholic schoolgirl who is never taught anything about sex, by the time she leaves that school she becomes a raving party animal in college.

• Like 1

One thing I have noticed in this country is that once the "academics" say something or suggest something it is soon forgotten or never acted upon

I wonder if it is because those in charge know exactly how lousy the education system is in this country and judge these "academics" based upon that

Don't we know already the term 'academic' is a little confusing here as in this country it describes a different level than outside planet Thailand

The more you restrict something, often the more people want to do it. Especially with things like alcohol. They walk around, see people having fun, drinking, laughing, going to bars but nope, you're not allowed to have that fun says the big hand of the govern... coup.... whatever's in charge at that time.

Not unlike the Catholic schoolgirl who is never taught anything about sex, by the time she leaves that school she becomes a raving party animal in college.

The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.

Aren't there laws restricting alcohol sales now near hospitals, or such? I know on Sirimangkalajarn Road, near to Suthep Road there exists a 7-11 shop without BEER. The clerk told me 'too close to xxxx' and i think he said hospital, or mental hospital.

Really the only external method that could restrict alcohol sales would be massive taxes on every drop. Well worth it too, then funnel the revenue into education, etc. Another good idea comes from OZland where i hear of far-reaching and severe penalties for drink driving. One beer over the line and you are walking for 6 months. 2 over, walking one year. No escaping the penalties. I'm totally in favor of such near-draconian laws on alcohol and car usage.

I'm also somewhat sick of hearing all the moaning about the smoky haze caused by the farmers, and those health issues, raised by beer swilling expats sitting on the pub stools smoking the fags.

You can triple the cost of alcohol and ban cigarettes completely. It won't achieve anything at all.

They tried that in the UK and it failed there.

If people want to drink and smoke, they will.

It just drives the problem underground, and increases the illegal brewing which many police will have a stake in from collecting bribes to actually having these places run on their behalf.

Thisis Thailand. Your measures don't even work in the real world let alone this bloody world we find ourselves in.

Also the big business who drive the drink and fag industries here have so much influence at government level and line far too many influential pockets under the table your so called cure is not even remotely likely.

Also it is not fair on those of us who drink responsibly. You obviously don't drink or smoke,,,, Don't speak for the rest of us. Some of us still beleive in freedom of choice whether you like it or not.

• Like 2

Thailand already has too many college/university graduates. The ones that finish four years now can not get decent jobs without bribing someone.

Interesting though that an academic figures college students are too stupid to buy 501 meters from the university gates.

The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.

And the waterbill higher

Really the only external method that could restrict alcohol sales would be massive taxes on every drop. Well worth it too, then funnel the revenue into education, etc.

Simple. Also a revenue raiser as jobin suggested.

But perhaps politically unpopular, especially among the folks that can't afford it, and votes do count.

But it's a shame the way having a bottle of alcohol at your table is an almost necessary ice breaker and status symbol.

Alcohol adverts near clubs such as "Give 100%" to friends is a despicable way to foster this trait.

"Alcohol Adverts"? Didn't you read that even wearing a tee shirt advertising alcohol is now illegal.

A few months ago I read that all alcohol advertising on shops and bars was prohibited.

Or maybe I imagined it. whistling.gif

If Thailand enforced the drunk driving laws about half of this country would be walking on a Friday/Saturday night. Driving in Thailand on the weekend at night is almost a death wish.

Kids (young adults) learn about drinking from there parents, Dad drinks a lot so will son. Monkey see monkey do.

All the laws needed are already in place, as well as sales restrictions that are not needed.

I live in the north east and they are restricting the sales of alcohol. You can only buy between11.00am and 2.00pm and 5.00pm and close. They even stop serving alcohol in the restaurants between the hours of restriction. I don't know if this is all over Thailand. However, in the village, at the mum and dad shops you can buy it during their entire opening hours, and yes we are very close to a major university.

In Oz there are no restrictions on sales hours, just the normal opening and closing times and anyone over the age of 18 can buy at any time. There are, as you state, severe penalties for being under the influence whilst driving . They also have different license classifications. There are three blood alcohol concentration (BAC) limits in New South Wales. They are 0.0%; 0.02% and 0.05%.

With the varying license classifications, red and green P plates, 0.0%; truck drivers, 0.02% and all others 0.05%. The red and green P Platers cannot drink at all. Truck drivers one standard size drink, others up to three standared drinks in an hour. A standard drinks contains 10 grams of alcohol.

There are severe penalties as you say but on many occasions, like here, the courts do not apply them. There have been cases when persons detects up to 5 times over the limit have escaped loss of license but have the matter proven but dismissed under section 10 of the crimes act. Yes, drinking driving is a criminal offense in Oz and all traffic offenses are retained on computer records

Yes I have gone of on a bit of a tangent but if they should ever decide to bring these licensing rules in here it might help to improve driving skills and maybe lower the problem they have with drink drivers but it would take a long time and a lot of education. But then I might be dreaming as well. Won't happen in my life time.