'Billions' of Baht worth of assets found at Thai CIB chief's home

webfact

This looks like a declaration of war from the Army towards the Police, wonder where this ends.

Army have more firepower and might is right in Thailand - right who's going to clean up the army ?

The army support the Yellow Shirts, the police the Red Shirts - that's an old quarrel

It isn't that black and white, sorry, red and yellow

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So last year this corruption was fine, and now this year all the chest thumping

about stopping corruption.

Have you missed that there is a different govt in charge between last years and this year? Have you missed that the current government has very different declared priorities?

Please read the following very carefully:

Any discussion of the Monarchy or members of the royal family in a political context will result in a ban. This includes vague comments that could be construed as referring to the Monarchy.

Those comments can be found here: NOTICE TO MEMBERS POSTING IN THAILAND NEWS

Also as per forum rule 1:

1) You will not express disrespect of the King of Thailand or any one member of the Thai royal family, whether living or deceased, nor to criticize the monarchy as an institution.
By law, the Thai Royal Family are above politics. Speculation, comments and discussion of either a political or personal nature are not allowed when discussing HM The King or the Royal family.
Discussion of the Lese Majeste law or Lese Majeste cases is permitted on the forum, providing no comment or speculation is made referencing the royal family.
To breach these rules may result in immediate ban.
Linking to external sites which break these rules will be treated as if you yourself posted them.

Have you missed that there is a different govt in charge between last years and this year? Have you missed that the current government has very different declared priorities?

Sorry was being a bit too literal. I was referring to the early days of Prayut's control of Thailand.

Clearly Yingluck's rule was a feeding frenzy of corruption, no need to even bring that up. :-)

So Prayut has held power since May, and only just now figured out Pongpat was stealing

billions of baht ?? Hard to believe that is the same guy who was cracking down on motorcycle

taxi mafias in Bangkok right at the start, which would be the ultimate small potatos...

I was about to ask that - what happens to the seized assets? They become government assets, don't they?

The problem is that right now they are evidence until such time as a conviction happens, isn't it? Which can be a considerable delay.

That's the problem. Like you, I would love to see such a thing happen - these ill gotten assets returned to the people.

As for Pongpat - could be a couple of issues. Prayuth could have known all along, and waited for the right time, or Prayuth suspected, but needed to collect evidence to move forward.

Edited by DaffyDuck

Just bringing this warning to your attention again. Offending posts will be deleted with no notice & warnings / Bans issued,

Please read the following very carefully:

Any discussion of the Monarchy or members of the royal family in a political context will result in a ban. This includes vague comments that could be construed as referring to the Monarchy.

Those comments can be found here: NOTICE TO MEMBERS POSTING IN THAILAND NEWS

Also as per forum rule 1:

1) You will not express disrespect of the King of Thailand or any one member of the Thai royal family, whether living or deceased, nor to criticize the monarchy as an institution.
By law, the Thai Royal Family are above politics. Speculation, comments and discussion of either a political or personal nature are not allowed when discussing HM The King or the Royal family.
Discussion of the Lese Majeste law or Lese Majeste cases is permitted on the forum, providing no comment or speculation is made referencing the royal family.
To breach these rules may result in immediate ban.
Linking to external sites which break these rules will be treated as if you yourself posted them.

So at last there is real evidence the government is serious about ending corruption without fear or favour.I think Prayuth should be congratulated.I take this opportunity to dismiss with contempt the foolish minority which contends the initiative is not really about corruption at all but something quite different.These naysayers are clearly in the pay of Thaksin and are determined to undermine the reform process that all good Thais and foreigners support.

To jayboy - no, he's being accurate.

Ditto - Prayuth deserves congratulations. Having been thrust into this, at least he intends to see this through, and does it for the benefit of Thailand, and all that matters within Thailand.

...and I'm being serious. This present military regime is very very different than the goons that took out Thaksin previously.

Exactly.I fail to see why some are so cynical.Having been initially cautious I now understand the Government is genuinely going after the big fish, and for that all right thinking people must thank it.It's just irritating that a small group of malcontents insist that this particular crackdown is in fact nothing to do with curbing corruption at all but rather something completely different on which they cannot be specific.

Oh you will have your fun with them, won't you. I guess that's the only kind of meaningful return you'll get out of this lot. Laugh on. Might as well. Little much else to laugh about in this sad state of....well, just sad state.

Sorry was being a bit too literal. I was referring to the early days of Prayut's control of Thailand.

Clearly Yingluck's rule was a feeding frenzy of corruption, no need to even bring that up. :-)

So Prayut has held power since May, and only just now figured out Pongpat was stealing

billions of baht ?? Hard to believe that is the same guy who was cracking down on motorcycle

taxi mafias in Bangkok right at the start, which would be the ultimate small potatos...

no comment

This raises an immense number of issues... most with a "no comment" result. But if you consider that a ring of corruption of this magnitude may exist in 1 or 10 or perhaps 100 other locations in Thailand as we type, and factor in the amount of money that has been extracted from the public purse it is easy to see why Thailand is lagging behind in so many developmental indicators. The numbers here are huge and had the money gone to public spending in the form of schools, roads, hospitals, parks, gardens etc etc Thailand would be developed by now. IMHO.wai2.gif

• Like 1

This raises an immense number of issues... most with a "no comment" result. But if you consider that a ring of corruption of this magnitude may exist in 1 or 10 or perhaps 100 other locations in Thailand as we type, and factor in the amount of money that has been extracted from the public purse it is easy to see why Thailand is lagging behind in so many developmental indicators. The numbers here are huge and had the money gone to public spending in the form of schools, roads, hospitals, parks, gardens etc etc Thailand would be developed by now. IMHO.wai2.gif

I agree entirely.

Why is it so difficult for the PM to take advice from those who gauge public opinion, especially those who look at social media. Thailand is currently a basket case and will remain so until ALL corruption is stamped out. I have already started with my RTP nephews and told them that gaol awaits them as I will inform on them if they take any more tea money.

• Like 1

I agree entirely.

Why is it so difficult for the PM to take advice from those who gauge public opinion, especially those who look at social media. Thailand is currently a basket case and will remain so until ALL corruption is stamped out. I have already started with my RTP nephews and told them that gaol awaits them as I will inform on them if they take any more tea money.

watch your back,you aren't real family,you're a falang

• Like 1

How absurd this whole thing is . This level of corruption has gone on for years,

with all the big players knowing EXACTLY what is was going on. Looks like

what is going on now is some sort of purge based upon family connections.

about stopping corruption. It is just pigs fighting at the feeding trough, what

a tragedy for the Thai people at large. ...

Yes, EWO, you make a valid point.

"So last year this corruption was fine, and now this year all the chest thumping

about stopping corruption."

Last year, or in fact the entire time the Shins were in power, corruption was fine, and now at least something is being done to stop it.

Pongpat Chayaphan is a good example, one less piggy at the trough. How many big trees like him fell before the coup.

I know the military are not squeaky clean but the current PM has a lot of work to cleaning up this mess.

"Not only must Justice be done; it must also be seen to be done."

How absurd this whole thing is . This level of corruption has gone on for years,

with all the big players knowing EXACTLY what is was going on. Looks like

what is going on now is some sort of purge based upon family connections.

about stopping corruption. It is just pigs fighting at the feeding trough, what

a tragedy for the Thai people at large. ...

Yes, EWO, you make a valid point.

"So last year this corruption was fine, and now this year all the chest thumping

about stopping corruption."

Last year, or in fact the entire time the Shins were in power, corruption was fine, and now at least something is being done to stop it.

Pongpat Chayaphan is a good example, one less piggy at the trough. How many big trees like him fell before the coup.

I know the military are not squeaky clean but the current PM has a lot of work to cleaning up this mess.

"Not only must Justice be done; it must also be seen to be done."

I dare say the piggies they've nabbed would on the surface appear to be yellows... but if you dig deeper things may become murky. Now this inspires real conspiracy discussion.