Work permits to be valid for 2 years - Govt proposal

webfact

Govt plans to extend work permits

Pridiyathorn expects economy to pick up

Chiang Rai: The government plans to seek cabinet approval for its proposal to extend the maximum period of work permits for foreigners working in Thailand to two years from the current one year, as part of a range of measures aimed at attracting more foreign investment.

Deputy Prime Minister Pridiyathorn Devakula revealed the plan at yesterday's forum of the 32nd Thai Chamber of Commerce (TCC) annual meeting in Chiang Rai.

The government planned to propose the cabinet approve the work permit extension at the weekly meeting tomorrow. It was among measures designed to boost foreign investment in Thailand, he said.

-- Bangkok Post 2014-11-24

• Like 1

I thought BOI companies had work permits longer than one year already.

This looks to be nothing but a superficial, administrative move unless the highly specific nature of work permits here changes, i.e. specifying location, duties, etc.

• Like 1

It seems that's what they are already doing, even for non BOI setups. I was issued with a brand new permit with a 2-years validity last month in Chiang Mai.

"...to attract more foreign investment."

Not certain about that. But now pay THB3000/year = THB6000, whether you want to work only one year on not.

This looks to be nothing but a superficial, administrative move unless the highly specific nature of work permits here changes, i.e. specifying location, duties, etc.

Yes, i work for a BOI company and we get 2 year visa and 2 year work permit.

Yes, i work for a BOI company and we get 2 year visa and 2 year work permit.

Thank you.

So, the announcement, at best, contains omissions.

Perhaps they are going to expand the kinds of companies that can have 2-year work permits issued. Currently, IT companies can only get 1 year work permits for their foreign workers.

Got my second 2-years extention in April of this year. I am a sort of IT company. As in many cases, it's "on the discretion of the officer in charge". Connecting the WP with a permission to stay would be great (in the good direction, not in the bad one it was the case about 5 to 6 years ago.

Perhaps they are going to expand the kinds of companies that can have 2-year work permits issued. Currently, IT companies can only get 1 year work permits for their foreign workers.

Got my second 2-years extention in April of this year. I am a sort of IT company. As in many cases, it's "on the discretion of the officer in charge". Connecting the WP with a permission to stay would be great (in the good direction, not in the bad one it was the case about 5 to 6 years ago.

The specific industry that is restricted to 1 year is Enterprise Software.

This should be an easy win for the government, since the maximum period for WP was already increased to 2 years in the 2008 Working of Aliens Act without any specific conditions. The problem has been the reluctance of the Labour Ministry to follow the law and issue 2 year permits. Normally they will only do this if the employer has hundreds of millions in paid up capital or is public company. The catch 22 is that these companies also qualify for the one stop visa and WP service which has not been allowed to issue 2 year WPs as far as I know. Anyway a 2 year WP is less useful if you can't also get a 2 year nonB visa at the one stop service.

I have been on 2 year WPs since 2009 and it's useful for me but only coz I have PR and am thus ineligible for the one stop service, even tho my company is.

Seems they just need to tell the Labour Ministry to apply the existing law without wrinkles but I am sure they will want to maintain conditions that will still make 2 year WPs unattainable for most. Hoping to be proved wrong.

Edited by Dogmatix

Perhaps removing "at the officer's discretion" from every single visa, work permit etc application might help also ... it's more than annoying when all the paperwork is completely correct and has been for years and they still don't grant what you are entitled to, but instead want the kickbacks to get what the law says we are entitled to.

• Like 2

A two year WP is not exactly all that beneficial unless Immigration also issues a two year visa extension.

They do. Well for people with 2 year Boi work permits anyways.

Correct, and with the BOI status one of the biggest advantages, for me anyway, is being able to use the fast track lanes at the airport, 500 in the queue for immigration at one side - 2 or 3 for the fast track lane :-)