cold-pressed fr/veg diet--anyone do it?

jikwan

it is said that there is no better way to consume food

maximum nutrition of live food without having a lot of extra unnecessary

digestion of the rough stuff (extreme examples are coconut/roasted peanuts etc)

ive come across good reports about it

my idea is to buy a manual meat grinder to mash leaves and hard veg then

press the mash with a 2 ton hydraulic press

any helpful advice appreciated

or just buy a quality blender and drink it

less equipment, cost and hassle

when "drinking" it, youre still making the body digest

the hard stuff---an orange, for example. all that useless

gristle. depletes the bodys energy. im sure that gristle has

a few nutriments in it---but not much

It's a controversial health topic but I like doing it. It's called a 'juice cleanse'. I just drink cold pressed juice and lemon watert - and don't eat any solid food for a few days.

I watched a documentary called 'Fat Sick and Nearly Dead' where an overweight Aussie bloke called Joe Cross drank only green juice for 60 days as he drove across America. Worth a look - especially if you're fat sick and nearly dead. (http://www.fatsickandnearlydead.com/) I liked it anyway. He's a character.

So being a bit of a fatty too, I decided to try it myself for a few days. First time was really hard - but it's gotten much easier over the years.

I started by making all the juices myself - buying heaps (up to 6kilos) of fresh kale and veggies and fruits from the wet markets each day. I also purchased a slow juicer called a Hurom. http://hurom.com/

Apparently slow cold pressed juicing is far better to keep all the goodies than with the normal centrifugal juicers. Actually they taste far better slow pressed - I reckon anyway.

It's tough work to clean up all the veggies and cut them up into really small pieces that fit in the mouth of the Hurom juicer etc. Then to get the recipes right enough so I could actually drink them was a difficult journey. I did it all myself a few times then one day just Googled "Juice Cleanse Bangkok" and "Cold pressed raw juice delivered" etc. and saw there's a few expats doing this business in Thailand. I called around and got a few quotes.

It's not cheap - but when I deduct my usual food and beverage costs over those days and do the math and it gets better. Still up there though. The cheapest quote I got was 1,000bht a day by an outfit called www.clearercleanse.com - right up to around 1,500bht a day from www.lifestylejuicery.com That's for 6 x 500mls bottles of fresh pressed juice delivered each day for 4 days right up to 60days.

Occassionally I'll still juice it up myself, when I've got the time and energy. I love the really kale-heavy Green ones with lots of lemon and cucumber/pineapple. Joe Cross calls them his "Mean Green". Take some getting used to.

PM me if you want anymore info.

It's a controversial health topic but I like doing it. It's called a 'juice cleanse'. I just drink cold pressed juice and lemon watert - and don't eat any solid food for a few days.

I watched a documentary called 'Fat Sick and Nearly Dead' where an overweight Aussie bloke called Joe Cross drank only green juice for 60 days as he drove across America. Worth a look - especially if you're fat sick and nearly dead. (http://www.fatsickandnearlydead.com/) I liked it anyway. He's a character.

So being a bit of a fatty too, I decided to try it myself for a few days. First time was really hard - but it's gotten much easier over the years.

I started by making all the juices myself - buying heaps (up to 6kilos) of fresh kale and veggies and fruits from the wet markets each day. I also purchased a slow juicer called a Hurom. http://hurom.com/

Apparently slow cold pressed juicing is far better to keep all the goodies than with the normal centrifugal juicers. Actually they taste far better slow pressed - I reckon anyway.

It's tough work to clean up all the veggies and cut them up into really small pieces that fit in the mouth of the Hurom juicer etc. Then to get the recipes right enough so I could actually drink them was a difficult journey. I did it all myself a few times then one day just Googled "Juice Cleanse Bangkok" and "Cold pressed raw juice delivered" etc. and saw there's a few expats doing this business in Thailand. I called around and got a few quotes.

It's not cheap - but when I deduct my usual food and beverage costs over those days and do the math and it gets better. Still up there though. The cheapest quote I got was 1,000bht a day by an outfit called www.clearercleanse.com - right up to around 1,500bht a day from www.lifestylejuicery.com That's for 6 x 500mls bottles of fresh pressed juice delivered each day for 4 days right up to 60days.

Occassionally I'll still juice it up myself, when I've got the time and energy. I love the really kale-heavy Green ones with lots of lemon and cucumber/pineapple. Joe Cross calls them his "Mean Green". Take some getting used to.

PM me if you want anymore info.

thats a great post, man

lots of good information. the fat sick and nearly dead movie has inspired so many to recovery

glad to know youve had gret benefits from the practice. i ll call it practice because it aint easy--one must be constantly fending off the pizza demons and steak 'n chips cravings

1000b a day for made juices---wow!

my plan is to buy a fairly large meatgrinder with a capcity to slow grind bigger chunks thereby lessening the work of cutting

also use an electric belt motor to save oneself the effort of turning the handle

id like to do this every day for a few years, even

Edited by jikwan

....do you mean 'a juice diet'.......or....'raw food diet'......???

...don't make it sound so foreign.....

...it will change your life........

...and if ill....save it........

...just try to buy organic if possible...

...go for it....!!!

...go for it....!!!

juice diet means to take out the juice of

raw fruits and veg and consume only that

of course its better if organic

...go for it....!!!

Dude, take your laptop in to get that period key repaired.

• Like 2

You have just found a way to get fat quickly and increase your chances of getting type 2 diabetes. The dietary fibre (not gristle) reduces the speed at which the sugar in the fruit is taken up into the blood so reducing the insulin spike. You need the fibre in your diet.

Fruit good

Fruit juice bad (worse than coke)

your view of it sounds very logical

in researching info on the ones that practice this consumption of fruit juice---i dont come across

the problems you mention

if theres sufficient interest regarding this great doubt----i will contact juice diet people

and get some reports from them

and thanks for the correction---The dietary fibre (not gristle)

Edited by jikwan

I once consumed nothing but fresh green vegetable juice for 30 days, and followed that up with eating nothing but raw fruits and vegetables and juices for a further 90 days.

The most overrated health undertaking in the world ever.

My anxiety went totally through the roof, I lost a shit ton of weight (I was skinny to begin with), my sense of humour was replaced with insecurities and a total lack of confidence, my sex drive was non existent.

My dandruff and few dry skin patches did however vanish and didn't return for about 2 years after I started eating like a human again.

Overall it was a positive experience, because I know the hype you read online about the 'raw food diet' is just that, hype, and I know for a fact that I am a better functioning human being when I eat animal fat, probably because it is a precursor to hormones, which control confidence, anxiety, sex function etc.

I've experimented like this with every diet under the sun, for years I just enjoyed experimenting with different diets, it was by obsession, the best diet is eating what you enjoy eating, and what is easily available to you. While making the healthy choice 80% of the time.

• Like 2

I once consumed nothing but fresh green vegetable juice for 30 days, and followed that up with eating nothing but raw fruits and vegetables and juices for a further 90 days. The most overrated health undertaking in the world ever. My anxiety went totally through the roof, I lost a shit ton of weight (I was skinny to begin with), my sense of humour was replaced with insecurities and a total lack of confidence, my sex drive was non existent. My dandruff and few dry skin patches did however vanish and didn't return for about 2 years after I started eating like a human again. Overall it was a positive experience, because I know the hype you read online about the 'raw food diet' is just that, hype, and I know for a fact that I am a better functioning human being when I eat animal fat, probably because it is a precursor to hormones, which control confidence, anxiety, sex function etc. I've experimented like this with every diet under the sun, for years I just enjoyed experimenting with different diets, it was by obsession, the best diet is eating what you enjoy eating, and what is easily available to you. While making the healthy choice 80% of the time.

sounds like it definitely didnt work for you

are you saying.....if it didnt work for me...it wouldnt work for

anyone else?

in my first few attempts at water only fasting--i had such strong

mental and physical reactions i gave up

but after many more attempts i didnt get those same

reactions. my condition improved immensly

If there is nothing to digest, what's the point in eating it?

Sometimes I think the world has gone mad... Just eat healthy food in moderation and exercise regularly..!!

The point is because the fiber is removed by the press and filter process the nutrients which in a sense are then predigested are absorbed directly through your intestine into your bloodstream with no digestion, 100% absorption. Normal digestion is not that good at rendering all the nutrition out of the food people eat.

As you say eating a healthy diet is important along with regular exercise but that will not help you if you are sick with a serious disease. Then you will have to step into the world of super nutrition of which cold pressed juicing is one technique. It’s called the Gerson Therapy https://gerson.org/gerpress/ . If you do this technique I can guarantee you will feel better that you have ever felt. But it is a lot of work and it’s expensive for a press. And a juicer or a blender won’t work if you try it like that you are just wasting your time.

...go for it....!!!

Pesticide and herbicide free - definately.

But organic?

All the studies I have read show absolutely no increased benefit from organically grown food compared to traditional methods using fertiliser.

In fact in many cases non organically grown food has a higher nutritional content.

Edited by Mudcrab

Non-organic generally means pesticides were used, and organic means no pesticides were used.

And the most comprehensive study on organic vs non-organic ever conducted concluded that just switching to organic could be like adding 2 extra portions of fruit and veg nutrition to your diet.

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2014/jul/11/organic-food-more-antioxidants-study

Non-organic generally means pesticides were used, and organic means no pesticides were used. And the most comprehensive study on organic vs non-organic ever conducted concluded that just switching to organic could be like adding 2 extra portions of fruit and veg nutrition to your diet. http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2014/jul/11/organic-food-more-antioxidants-study

exactly! good info in the link too

If there is nothing to digest, what's the point in eating it?

Sometimes I think the world has gone mad... Just eat healthy food in moderation and exercise regularly..!!

The point is because the fiber is removed by the press and filter process the nutrients which in a sense are then predigested are absorbed directly through your intestine into your bloodstream with no digestion, 100% absorption. Normal digestion is not that good at rendering all the nutrition out of the food people eat.

As you say eating a healthy diet is important along with regular exercise but that will not help you if you are sick with a serious disease. Then you will have to step into the world of super nutrition of which cold pressed juicing is one technique. It’s called the Gerson Therapy https://gerson.org/gerpress/ . If you do this technique I can guarantee you will feel better that you have ever felt. But it is a lot of work and it’s expensive for a press. And a juicer or a blender won’t work if you try it like that you are just wasting your time.

brilliant. couldnt have put it better myself

but these gerson people use 20 pounds of vegetables to make up a days drinks. real enthusiasts. will make sure the jobs well done

You have just found a way to get fat quickly and increase your chances of getting type 2 diabetes. The dietary fibre (not gristle) reduces the speed at which the sugar in the fruit is taken up into the blood so reducing the insulin spike. You need the fibre in your diet.

Fruit good

Fruit juice bad (worse than coke)

your view of it sounds very logical

in researching info on the ones that practice this consumption of fruit juice---i dont come across

the problems you mention

if theres sufficient interest regarding this great doubt----i will contact juice diet people

and get some reports from them

and thanks for the correction---The dietary fibre (not gristle)

It isn't surprising that people who do something will not tell you why it is a bad idea.

It is also not a wise move to try to get information on the bad effects of a product from people who use or sell the product.

So why should we juice rather than just eat more fruit and vegetables?

The Mayo Clinic argues that theres little scientific evidence to support the belief that juice makes vitamins in fruit and vegetables easier for the body to absorb. Eating whole fruit and vegetables is the healthier way to get your daily intake, they say.

And just because fruits or vegetables contain good things does not mean that when processed into another form they will still have the good things.

The antioxidants and other phytonutrients start to break down almost immediately once they are exposed to light and air, says nutritionist Monica Reinagel.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/272438.php

The main problem is this fruit juice contains no fiber and is very high in sugar.

Take a look at the breakdown for a 12 ounce (350 ml) portion of Coca Cola and apple juice:

Coca Cola: 140 calories and 40 grams of sugar (10 teaspoons).

Apple juice: 165 calories and 39 grams of sugar (9.8 teaspoons).

This is the ugly truth about fruit juice most types contain a similar amount of sugar as a sugar-sweetened beverage, sometimes with even more total calories!

Bottom Line: Fruit juice contains some nutrients, but less compared to many plant foods. It contains no fiber and is just as high in sugar and calories as most sugar-sweetened beverages.

It is Easy to Consume Massive Amounts of Sugar From Fruit Juice

When we eat whole fruit, it takes significant effort to chew and swallow them.

The sugar in them is also bound within fibrous structures that break down slowly during digestion.

Not only that, but fruit is also very fulfilling so its hard to eat a lot of it.

For these reasons, the sugar in whole fruit gets sent to the liver slowly and in small amounts. The liver can easily metabolize these small amounts without being overloaded.

But if you drink a large glass of fruit juice, it is the equivalent of consuming several pieces of fruit in a very short amount of time, without all the fiber.

The large amount of sugar gets absorbed and sent to the liver very quickly, just like when you drink a sugar-sweetened beverage.

A large part of the sugar found in fruit juice is fructose. The liver is the only organ that can metabolize fructose in meaningful amounts.

When the liver takes in more fructose than it can handle, some if it gets turned into fat. Some of the fat can lodge in the liver and contribute to fat buildup and insulin resistance.

Although small amounts of fruit juice (or soda) are unlikely to cause major problems for healthy, lean and active people, this can be a complete disaster for people who are overweight or have diet-related metabolic problems.

Controlled metabolic studies show that liquid sugar can cause insulin resistance, raise triglycerides and small, dense LDL cholesterol, elevate oxidized LDL cholesterol and cause belly fat accumulation in as little as 10 weeks.

Although most of the studies are using sugar-sweetened or fructose-sweetened drinks, there is no reason to assume that 100% fruit juice would be any different. The sugar molecules are identical and your liver wont be able to tell the difference.

But just in case youre in doubt, some studies did use actual fruit juice. In one of them, 480 ml (16 ounces) of grape juice per day for 3 months caused insulin resistance and increased waist circumference in overweight individuals.

In another study, consuming 2 or more servings of fruit juice per day was associated with more than a doubled risk of gout in women.

Bottom Line: Fruit juice contains large amounts of sugar, without any fiber and chewing resistance to limit intake. Studies show that this can lead to severe metabolic problems and serious diseases.

...go for it....!!!

Pesticide and herbicide free - definately.

But organic?

All the studies I have read show absolutely no increased benefit from organically grown food compared to traditional methods using fertiliser.

In fact in many cases non organically grown food has a higher nutritional content.

There was a good study in Germany comparing the sperm counts of men who ate organic food to those that didn't.

The men who ate organic food had much higher sperm counts.

I have a mate who started a small business (Orchard St) a couple of years ago, selling cold press juices out of his home kitchen to people doing cleanses. He's since gone on to supply dozens of cafes and has just opened the second of his own stores specialising in cold pressed juices and organic food. So it either works, or its a great scam. You can pick up a cold press or slow juicer for under $100 these days online. Good luck with it.

a lot of slow speed juicers call them cold pressed but not really.

The standard is the Norwalk Press and a the cheapest refurb is like $900 in the US

There are some other brands that can be purchased for around $500 but guess what? They often break.

I had a Norwalk Jr and it even needed periodic repairs.

If your clever you could make your own but what an overall hassle to cold press juice.

Cleaning and prepping, Triticating/grinding, Inserting the ground up material into a special bag, Pressing and cleaning. Freezing the bags

I guess it works better for really sick people with Gerson but the time expense is signficant

I sold my Norwalk and Greenpower and doubt I will ever buy another when I return to US next year.

A good Blentec or Vitamix is so easy and really I can't tell the health difference except I have a lot more free time, less waste to dispose/compost and less hassles.

Truly cold pressed juice does taste a bit better and cleaner as well as store longer but the longer it's stored it still degrades. Even if its vacuum sealed.

Edited by CobraSnakeNecktie

I've done juice detox/cleanse a number of times. It really has to be juice, not blended, as blended still contains the solid "pulp" and doesn't allow the corrective processes to work in your digestion.

I was a skeptic at first, but I did blood tests and vital sign measurements before juicing, and again after a 5 day cleanse.

I was amazed. Immune system improved, liver function improved, blood pressure reduced, RBC better.

Also you will lose weight. I lost 2.2Kg in 5 days, but I was also still exercising during that period.

Down sides are: Tend to get constant mild headache, usually 1st day, feeling hungry (surprise surprise), some loss of energy initially. But these effects level out after 2 days.

Now I tend to do a 3-4 day cleanse per month. Originally I used juicing vendors but they are quite expensive, so now I own my own juicer which is a centrifugal unit only about 4,500Bt. Cold press units get better yield from the fruit and veg but cost around 13-16,000Bt.

• Like 1

Big difference between juiced vegetables and whole vegetables is digestion. According to the Living and Raw Foods website, juicing removes the indigestible fiber that is present in vegetables. Much more of the nutrients are then absorbed by the body as compared to eating the same whole vegetable. Eating vegetables still good for fiber but juicing and drinking in addition gets much micro nutrients than eating . Also one can drink the juice from many pounds of vegetables at a sitting they could never eat that is turned into let's say a 32 ounce serving of green juice . New Hurom HH-Elite Slow Juicer has no equal and is redesigned changing the game and spins at only 40 Rpm's to limit oxidation of nutrients . Possibly the best single investment one could make for health . Stick to the green vegetables and ones with color and pass on juicing fruit as eating or blending that better so you not get high sugar from not having fiber mixed . Upstairs at Paragon this juicer is on sale for 11,900 and a real treasure . This is first big redesign of this type of juicers technology in almost 6 years

Hurom HH-ELITE (HH-SBF11) -

Do a search onYouTube for title below

Hurom HH-ELITE (HH-SBF11) - Raw Almond Milk

I saw do search as this forum I guess not allow direct link ??

post-202056-14169885035782_thumb.jpg

Edited by Lumbini

I love juice fasting. Been doing it annually for 35 + years . It helps make up for rest of the years indulgences. I don't juice fruits. Too sweet. But carrots celery beetroot cucumber kale ginger tumeric the occasional apple spinach..they all go down very well. Add some flaxseed oil and cinnamon cayenne pepper ....mmm excellent stuff. Best one was six weeks long during a Melbourne winter while working 50 hour weeks. Never had so much energy and clarity and never slept better in my life. Did wonders for the sex drive too lol. It's sad watching so many friends resort to meds to cure their ailments as we age while I never seem to get sick. Such is life.....now it's nearly beer o clock.

Edited by borisloosebrain
  • Like 1