Corruption scandal: Police find Bt2-bn in cash, valuables in secret vaults in 11 of Pongpat's homes

webfact

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While this is fantastic to see and long overdue, we must remember to not stereotype all police officers

I know two officers personally who would give their left arm to the community if they needed it and would never take a single satang they didn't earn

I hope that news articles like this will lead to less Thai bashing here on thaivisa . There's many good people in Thailand and that they do something to clean up the corruption that's been going on for years is a good sign for the future.

That's right, I agree many good people but certainly not one single good police officer. No way. Even a few rare ones were 'good' before they started their police career they just can't survive and have to play the game otherwise it will be 'game-over' for them.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

"Speaking about the high-profile arrests for the first time, Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha said the case would undergo normal processes in the justice system. He said the issue involved certain officers, but not the entire police force. He added that legal action taken against the high-profile officers was part of the much-awaited reform of the Royal Thai Police."

i hope there is more to come

I agree completely, remember the story about the people paying 300,000 baht for help to pass the RTP entry exam. I wonder why someone would want to pay 300,000 for a job that requires them to pay for their own uniforms, guns and motorbikes, and pays 8,000 per month? Short story, a retired Australian police friend of mine was asked to speak to the son of his Thai lady friend. She asked him to talk the lad out of quitting university to join the RTP. When he asked the young man why he was considering such a move, he replied, "I'm tired of being poor".

Agree, the scheme whereby candidates pay a 300,000Baht fee to get in must have been run by someone (a gang) within the RTP, simple logic, and not easy to totally hide within the force.

Pongpat and his mafia would have known about it for sure, question is what was their cut and who else got a cut?

No doubt there is a lot more to be revealed.

Don't be naive man. Every single policeman up to a certain level is getting a piece of cake of these 300 K. For higher positioins buying the people higher in the hierarchy are getting their share. Is common law in the RTP.

wifey mentioned to me of an open secret that Police senior officer in her home district in north eastern province getting richer by arresting drug dealers whenever there is a need for a crack down or during road block. They will keep some of the drugs to sell. Everyone in the district knew but afraid to report or to get involved. The family members of the police senior officer acting like HISO and most people in that district dislike them. Hopefully they will be caught but when?

Ummm do any of you lot know who Pongpat is related to ? whistling.gif

Isn't that just another Thaivisa rumour, that has suddenly become the "truth".

Have been searching all over the net and found no "connection"

It must within forum rules to provide a link, so please do!!

Try searching for ' pongpat uncle '

Ahhh. This could get very interesting!

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

While this is fantastic to see and long overdue, we must remember to not stereotype all police officers

I know two officers personally who would give their left arm to the community if they needed it and would never take a single satang they didn't earn

List them under endangered species and put them in a breeding-program!!coffee1.gif width=32 alt=coffee1.gif>

While I do agree there have GOT to be some good/decent officers,,, It's pretty common knowledge that it costs about $300,000-$1,000,000 baht to become an officer,, Soooo who honestly pays that, to gain a job that pays $8,000 Baht per month?,,,, REALLY?

• Like 1

wifey mentioned to me of an open secret that Police senior officer in her home district in north eastern province getting richer by arresting drug dealers whenever there is a need for a crack down or during road block. They will keep some of the drugs to sell. Everyone in the district knew but afraid to report or to get involved. The family members of the police senior officer acting like HISO and most people in that district dislike them. Hopefully they will be caught but when?

easy send an anonymus letter to the p.m. sorted...remember not to leave a return address on the back though...

• Like 1

Speaking about the high-profile arrests for the first time, Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha said the case would undergo normal processes in the justice system.

And that is what we actually all are afraid of, as we know how the NORMAL process works for police officers.

They were able to get these ill-gotten gains, accumulate in front of all they work with, (new homes, cars, bikes, and penthouse) work alongside immigration, but had no idea on how to set up a foreign bank account sending the bulk overseas?

Now if they can prove that some of the booty is gained by honest devious means they can keep what they claim?

What do these guys know about or have on their captors?

Will their arrest cards be reviewed?

If they go thru a military court, little can be recorded about the trial and its outcome.

Sounds as though they are only going to scratch the surface on this one?

After finishing with the BIB then have a crack at the military, politicians, then local governments and the education sector the whole bloody lot of them, they're gonna have to build a hell of a lot of gaols if they're serious about the corruption issues in LOS.

And then we will have ex-post office employees running the government, they will be all that is left.

After you caught all the corrupt RTP go after all the unusually rich 4 star Generals. I wonder how much a promotion to General would cost here or a transfer to a staff position could cost someone.

A friend of mine paid more than $US one million for a promotion from Pol. Lt. Col. to Pol. General about three years ago. It makes me wonder why Pol. Capt. Chalerm stayed as a Captain.

He was at the right desk at the time, interesting papers passing across it.

Rank helps for sure, but it is knowledge that is the true power..........................wink.png

Pol. Capt. Chalerm is the best example of 'what you know' can make you powerful, but my friend depended on 'who you know' as he only wanted to be more rich. Actually, he was/is a terrible cop as he always neglected his duties to take care of his personal business. His bosses tried to straighten him up by transferring him to Yasothon and then to Yala but he would sneak back to Bangkok to mind his business interests. After complaining for years that he was being passed over, a mutual friend finally convinced him to get off the money and buy his promotion.

• Like 1

After you caught all the corrupt RTP go after all the unusually rich 4 star Generals. I wonder how much a promotion to General would cost here or a transfer to a staff position could cost someone.

A friend of mine paid more than $US one million for a promotion from Pol. Lt. Col. to Pol. General about three years ago. It makes me wonder why Pol. Capt. Chalerm stayed as a Captain.

Maybe time to become a little more careful who to call a "friend"............. !?

If that's your "friend" I better don't want to know who your enemies are.... 55555555

Just joking..... wink.png

Edited by TTom911

Re: Pol. Capt. Chalerm, I have always wondered that myself. Perhaps he was saving the money for the promotions of his monster of a son?

They are making such a song and a dance about this one corruption catch and this is only the tip of the iceberg wont be many police left if its just going to be honest ones left in the force and all the thiefs arrested and locked away, how many billions will there be in off shore accounts yet to be found in some false company names.

Interesting thing is, this is quite a huge bust, not some small town cop we are talking here. We've all heard of crackdowns on corruption before and this is quite a biggie.

This is a clear message and it's been done publicly too. Not only certain senior officers, but governors, government ministers and as someone said before certain seniors in the Education field better start watching their back.

Not saying that the Military are whiter than white, I'm sure there are big skeletons there too, but it's a big statement from them that they want to tackle the country's image regarding corruption. It will take time and years and may not result in anything but at least it's something.

One thing's for sure, I couldn't imagine this bust happening under the last regime's watch or even previous ones.

Edited by Hawkman
  • Like 1

I guess the wikitravel page phrase 'phom jai kha prap ton-nii dai mai?' worked wonders, seeing the accused have been granted bail rolleyes.gif

Didn't need human rights lawyers? Still had some loose change in their pockets to hire real lawyers.

Wish I had loose 12Mู฿ in my pockets too cool.png