Corruption scandal: Police find Bt2-bn in cash, valuables in secret vaults in 11 of Pongpat's homes

webfact

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Up till now if you knew anything you turned a blind eye and keep you mouth shut , otherwise NKK you wake up dead or even disappeared

......................."Up till now".....................

Correct ! Up til now (I mean since the Shins lost their grip on power and the Military stepped in to sort out the mess) the corruption in the RTP was allowed to

flourish under Thaksin's rule.

Did any big cops ever get busted under Shin rule ?

Hate to spoil your party, but Pongpat was appointed in 2010 by Abhisit!!coffee1.gif

Edited by JOC

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Speaking about the high-profile arrests for the first time, Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha said the case would undergo normal processes in the justice system. He said the issue involved certain officers, but not the entire police force. He added that legal action taken against the high-profile officers was part of the much-awaited reform of the Royal Thai Police."

i hope there is more to come

I agree completely, remember the story about the people paying 300,000 baht for help to pass the RTP entry exam. I wonder why someone would want to pay 300,000 for a job that requires them to pay for their own uniforms, guns and motorbikes, and pays 8,000 per month? Short story, a retired Australian police friend of mine was asked to speak to the son of his Thai lady friend. She asked him to talk the lad out of quitting university to join the RTP. When he asked the young man why he was considering such a move, he replied, "I'm tired of being poor".

Is that what they get 8k?? And pay for gear??? U serious

I thought min. 15-20k for trafic cop? No

That was what a starting wage was a few years ago, I remember reading somewhere that the starting wage in 2006 was 6500 baht, not sure what it is now.

• Like 1

If somehow Justice is eluded for these corrupt scoundrels, the Lese Majeste charges, I am sure will stick to them like super glue. That one charge alone will get them up to 15 years behind bars. If any of these scoundrels used a computer while extorting or threatening harm to their victims while on Official Duty, they might be charged with violating section 112 of the Criminal Code and violating the Computer Crime Act (CCA) of 2007 which possibly might add another 5 years+ to their Big House Holiday. thumbsup.gif

I would like to see, at drawing like this, of the whole RTP wai.gif

And "sooooo sooory mistaaar" if it's rude, but i think there is an "arrow" missing from Pongpat's head, going upwards...

I suppose you are right. The cream off the top of that little pile is one hell of a birthday present in anyone's language. Perhaps an installment of the cream was delivered via Europe a few months ago & another via the far east, more recently. Lipstick on a pig, did someone say yesterday? Hmmm. The piggies that remain after the current cull are going to need much more than a new shade of lipstick, by the time the general is through with them.

I suppose there will be a flurry of suitcases leaving Thailand,the contents

to be deposited overseas.in HK,Switzerland,Singapore.

These people must have been very confident that they were untouchable

up to the very last minute,as they did not do very much to hide there ill gotten

gains,

Its going to be interesting to see what happens if/when they end up in court,

regards Worgeordie

"its going to be interesting........!" cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifclap2.gifclap2.giffacepalm.gifthumbsup.gifwai.gif No chance!

It was reported in the BP that the carcasses of five protected endangered species were also found. What hope is there for this country's fauna if even the top brass are munching down on it? bah.gif

Doubt they would be eating them, no profit in that. More than likely for someone farther north to eat.

Wouldn't it be interesting if there was some connection to a once prominent politician who has still got to face charged relating to exporting endangered wildlife.

Then there was the top cop and his group who were caught some time back poaching in Kaeng Krechan NP

I believe it is other members of Pongpat's family found with the carcasses - maybe they are going after the whole family for some reason...

From @pakhead

3 more suspects from a certain family arrested in the Thai police corruption crackdown.

What an idiot, keeping all this money in Thailand. Must have been very very sure of never ever being disturbed about it. And he might be right, this is the first case ever which came out in Thailand. And as we all know this is just common thing here with our friendly policemen....

Not a lot of thought put into this post.

Just a couple of other not-well thought out thoughts... what if what is kept in Thailand is just what was difficult to get 'out of the country'.

What if what is left in Thailand just the "tip of the iceberg" in regard to what is outside Thailand.

It was reported in the BP that the carcasses of five protected endangered species were also found. What hope is there for this country's fauna if even the top brass are munching down on it? bah.gif

Doubt they would be eating them, no profit in that. More than likely for someone farther north to eat.

Wouldn't it be interesting if there was some connection to a once prominent politician who has still got to face charged relating to exporting endangered wildlife.

Then there was the top cop and his group who were caught some time back poaching in Kaeng Krechan NP

I believe it is other members of Pongpat's family found with the carcasses - maybe they are going after the whole family for some reason...

From @pakhead

3 more suspects from a certain family arrested in the Thai police corruption crackdown.

BP has given the family name as Akharaphongpreecha now which might give a bit more clarity....

• Like 1

After you caught all the corrupt RTP go after all the unusually rich 4 star Generals. I wonder how much a promotion to General would cost here or a transfer to a staff position could cost someone.

A friend of mine paid more than $US one million for a promotion from Pol. Lt. Col. to Pol. General about three years ago. It makes me wonder why Pol. Capt. Chalerm stayed as a Captain.

And where did your "friend" get US$1M. Legally, right?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Just how could corruption on such a massive scale go unnoticed ?

Simple answer is that it couldn't so those involved must have had quite an edge such as powerful allies and protection, maybe serious black on others etc.

Not a unique situation here and quite an indictment of Thainess. Nothing will change and when a new regime is in power the only thing that will change is in who have their snouts in the trough.

Guns, Girls, Gambling, Ganja: Thailand's Illegal Economy and Public Policy: Written way back in 1998 by Professor Pasuk Pongpaichit. Gives a rundown of the system by which the Uniforms get rich. Down to Baht amounts for position.

I have to believe that the PM has big balls!

I remember an US President that was assesinated because he mess with the Mafia and the FBI.

these-are-the-only-two-presidents-who-ev

Dunno. A Time Machine I suppose since the Federal Reserve was formed in 1913.

• Like 1

After you caught all the corrupt RTP go after all the unusually rich 4 star Generals. I wonder how much a promotion to General would cost here or a transfer to a staff position could cost someone.

A friend of mine paid more than $US one million for a promotion from Pol. Lt. Col. to Pol. General about three years ago. It makes me wonder why Pol. Capt. Chalerm stayed as a Captain.

And where did your "friend" get US$1M. Legally, right

Maybe you don't know much about Thai culture. There is a Thai term called 'krieng jai'. It means never inconveniencing someone or embarrassing them or putting them in an awkward position. It would not be very 'krieng jai' of me to ask my police friend any details of his private finances so I just accept whatever story is offered. Have you not noticed the reporters in Thailand just repeat statements offered by politicians and officials without ever asking probing/pressing questions? I certainly wouldn't have any Thai friends if I wasn't 'krieng jai'. Secondly, as Gen. Prayut stated, it is not polite to ask people where they got their wealth; they may have married well or it could be inherited money. Really, it is not my business. I am not a crime-fighter and I certainly am not on any mission to root out corruption here. I have my own standards of conduct but don't suppose other people need to live by my standard. I accept my friends as they accept me: face value. Treat me with respect and I will treat you with respect. I'll leave it up to professional prosecutors to find out and prosecute my friends. It is not my job.

• Like 2

While this is fantastic to see and long overdue, we must remember to not stereotype all police officers

I know two officers personally who would give their left arm to the community if they needed it and would never take a single satang they didn't earn

List them under endangered species and put them in a breeding-program!!coffee1.gif

But did they pay 300,000 baht to get in? If so they are guilty of paying a bribe.

I say this simply to highlight that even good people commit crimes when the system is rotten.

Pongpat a "crime buster" maybe maybe not. He is a crook and a gangster and if I had been convicted by him

an appeal would be pending.

"If you can prove the assets were bought legally" you can keep them. They are joking are the not . Nothing that these people

have in their possession will have been bought with clean money.

Their salaries would only pay for a small percentage of their spending, therefore the profit from crime funded their whole lifestyle

I wonder if the BIB in Pattaya Bangkok etc are still collecting tea money from the bars

Pongpat a "crime buster" maybe maybe not. He is a crook and a gangster and if I had been convicted by him

an appeal would be pending.

"If you can prove the assets were bought legally" you can keep them. They are joking are the not . Nothing that these people

have in their possession will have been bought with clean money.

Their salaries would only pay for a small percentage of their spending, therefore the profit from crime funded their whole lifestyle

I wonder if the BIB in Pattaya Bangkok etc are still collecting tea money from the bars

The money is not the issue - the question is why???

Great stuff... So let me get this straight. According to the graphic " They were

pretending to work as a representative of the King to seek benefits".

So these guys are running around extorting money from people,

and in order to make it go well, they invoke the name of the King ?

This place truly is Amazing Thailand......

some relatives are involved so I undertsand.

How could a Pol. Lt. Col. ever accumulate a million dollars to buy a promotion.

I NEVER ask people about their personal business. I only hear what they volunteer. This friend has never volunteered any information on his income. I have heard from other friends, who are familiar with the way the RTP operates, that it begins as low as patrol officers who charge extra fees from businesses on their beat for extra services like keeping non-customers from parking in front of their business or keeping an extra close eye on the business when it is closed, etc.. Those officers keep some and pass some up to the next level which would be sergeants. The sergeants are collecting money from many patrolmen, keeping some and passing the rest up to the lieutenants, the lieutenants are collecting from all their sergeants, they keep some and pass the rest up the chain, and so on. The higher the rank, the more money from more sources so that by the time one is a Lt. Col., one is a dollar millionaire after a few years. All this is in addition to separate schemes, deals, scams, etc. that individuals and groups devise to earn money. Since many of these operations are illegal, they must pay a share to their superiors to stay out of trouble. There also bribes from all the illicit civilian operations including selling fake goods, pirated goods, prostitution, gambling, drugs, etc. and in many cases, the police are in partnership with these civilian criminals if the police are not doing them alone. There is a saying that if your business is legal, you pay taxes and if your business is illegal you pay the police. Civilian criminal enterprises that don't pay on time or don't pay enough get raided. You don't really hear about that many raids, do you. Walk around Nana and tell me if prostitution and selling fake goods is illegal. There is every permutation you could imagine. There are scams/schemes you would never dream of. Not too long ago it was reported on this forum that some policemen were planting ATM cards near ATMs and arresting and extorting anyone foolish enough to try to use the cards. Illegal foreign workers don't get deported, they get extorted. Add all this ongoing money-making together and the way the money is distributed and no one should be surprised at the kind of money the police are making. Have you never seen all the highway checkpoints where papers, helmet use, etc. is checked and bribes paid. These activities bring in millions of dollars a day and it is all distributed to higher and higher levels and it is all protected by higher-ups. Who is going to police the police. It's been reported that the police have been involved in just about every criminal enterprise in Thailand. Like I said, a police commissioned officer doesn't have to bother with any illegal business to accrue his money. It just flows past him and he is entitled to a share as is passes. Look at the billions of Baht found in the houses of the generals and colonels who were just caught. Just think how much they have stashed offshore. What got found was petty cash. Why wouldn't officers just a few ranks below have millions? Remember the monk with the private jet? He had a helipad outside his wat for officers to bring their cash for him to take offshore and invest in European villas and such. This is big business, it is well organized, and is happening every day. There is no way to stop it as it runs from the bottom to the top and if one is arrested, they are still many more to replace him.

Good, clear explanation of the patronage system of upwards accumulation of benefits. Who do you suppose is above Pongpat in the food chain and how much will that person have accumulated from their symbiotic relationship I wonder?sad.png And are we ultimately talking about two competitive parallel hierarchical food chains at present in the country, with one starting to collapse to the benefit of the other, older and more established chain or web?

How could a Pol. Lt. Col. ever accumulate a million dollars to buy a promotion.

I NEVER ask people about their personal business. I only hear what they volunteer. This friend has never volunteered any information on his income. I have heard from other friends, who are familiar with the way the RTP operates, that it begins as low as patrol officers who charge extra fees from businesses on their beat for extra services like keeping non-customers from parking in front of their business or keeping an extra close eye on the business when it is closed, etc.. Those officers keep some and pass some up to the next level which would be sergeants. The sergeants are collecting money from many patrolmen, keeping some and passing the rest up to the lieutenants, the lieutenants are collecting from all their sergeants, they keep some and pass the rest up the chain, and so on. The higher the rank, the more money from more sources so that by the time one is a Lt. Col., one is a dollar millionaire after a few years. All this is in addition to separate schemes, deals, scams, etc. that individuals and groups devise to earn money. Since many of these operations are illegal, they must pay a share to their superiors to stay out of trouble. There also bribes from all the illicit civilian operations including selling fake goods, pirated goods, prostitution, gambling, drugs, etc. and in many cases, the police are in partnership with these civilian criminals if the police are not doing them alone. There is a saying that if your business is legal, you pay taxes and if your business is illegal you pay the police. Civilian criminal enterprises that don't pay on time or don't pay enough get raided. You don't really hear about that many raids, do you. Walk around Nana and tell me if prostitution and selling fake goods is illegal. There is every permutation you could imagine. There are scams/schemes you would never dream of. Not too long ago it was reported on this forum that some policemen were planting ATM cards near ATMs and arresting and extorting anyone foolish enough to try to use the cards. Illegal foreign workers don't get deported, they get extorted. Add all this ongoing money-making together and the way the money is distributed and no one should be surprised at the kind of money the police are making. Have you never seen all the highway checkpoints where papers, helmet use, etc. is checked and bribes paid. These activities bring in millions of dollars a day and it is all distributed to higher and higher levels and it is all protected by higher-ups. Who is going to police the police. It's been reported that the police have been involved in just about every criminal enterprise in Thailand. Like I said, a police commissioned officer doesn't have to bother with any illegal business to accrue his money. It just flows past him and he is entitled to a share as is passes. Look at the billions of Baht found in the houses of the generals and colonels who were just caught. Just think how much they have stashed offshore. What got found was petty cash. Why wouldn't officers just a few ranks below have millions? Remember the monk with the private jet? He had a helipad outside his wat for officers to bring their cash for him to take offshore and invest in European villas and such. This is big business, it is well organized, and is happening every day. There is no way to stop it as it runs from the bottom to the top and if one is arrested, they are still many more to replace him.

Excellent post and the only thing I would add to that is the police arnt the only force this applies to.

• Like 2

Hiding assets by burying them or putting them in underground vaults is a practice considered unusual. No <deleted> Sherlock..

And no one thought owning 11 houses unusual? coffee1.gif

Edited by metisdead
Font