I lost a friend recently - Moo - mate, you are missed.

David48

I lost a friend recently - Moo - mate, you are missed.

Sort of like starting a film with the conclusion ... but that's life.

BTW ... it's a long tale (no pun intended) ... if you aren't a dog lover ... look elsewhere for the Bar-Girl did me wrong thread ... there will be heaps. Try the Pub.

So ... back to Mr Moo ...

post-104736-0-59104400-1416980299.jpg

I've never owned a Dog ... a few cats, but never a dog.

Coming to the Farm in Thailand, the place is literally over run with them.

Each Farm has their own pack.

One dog stood above them ... his name was Moo ... Actually, it was Moo Moo ... tone down, so not as to be confused with the Thai word for Pig.

Come sundown, I used to take a fancy to walking the Farm ... took me maybe 20 - 30 mins round all the ponds.

post-104736-0-82855400-1416980856.jpg

I'd emerge from the Farm house. More often then not, he'd be finding shelter from the Sun in the salsa by the pond.

He'd see me and, instantly his tail would 'wag' ... just gentle like ... but recognition nonetheless.

In true Thai/Isaan style ... it took just a simple motion of the chin ... come-on old son ... it's time now.

A quick up, a stretch, maybe a yawn and we'd be away ... thumbsup.gif

Sometimes, the other Farm Dog, Gee (or Lucky) would tag along.

Sometimes, MissFarmGirl would venture out also.

So ... the boys would be off.

post-104736-0-21438800-1416981412.jpg

Always making sure, as guard dogs, our path, our journey was safe.

There were dangerous bits.

All the Farmers have dog packs. One we have to walk near as his pond borders on our usual path.

Moo would just amble along as if he didn't care.

He fought his battles years ago and despite the other dogs snarling ... no-one would come near us when Moo led the walk.

Though his many battle scars, he'd earnt the title 'Leader of the Pack' a long time ago.

There is an irony in that ... Moo, in his latter years had lost most of his teeth ... certainly the canines ... at best ... he could 'gum them to submission'. It mattered naught. He was the Boss, others walked behind him.

Despite his strength ... he had a major Achilles heel ... TICKS.

They would use him as a host, suck him dry, breed away and little that could be done.

We tried many things.

Physical removal was common ...

post-104736-0-33897500-1416982385.jpg

They would, of course, come back in numbers with in a few days ... but it was the best we could do for him ... and he seemed strong and resilient enough.

Chemical treatments were not considered because the dogs would often swim or bath in the ponds and the Fish/Shrimp/Prawns were very sensitive to this style of chemical ... so we couldn't use them. Plus ... he hated showers ... any application of a preventative cure would be washed off, in the Pond, with minutes seconds.

When the ticks were in plague proportions ... it would slow him down a bit ... but he always bounced back.

Indeed, this is how we first bonded. I'd come out to the Salsa by the Pond, tweezers in hand ... he'd be there.

Basically I groomed him. Picked off the obvious ticks, then ran my finger through his coat and 'felt' for the other ticks.

No-one else did this ... maybe the Thais thought this a little strange. I didn't care. He because a buddy, a friend, a mate ... and you always have your mates back.

It's funny now, in hindsight. He got so used to me taking the ticks off, he used to go to sleep while I did this. Even the ignominy to actually 'snore' one time he was that deep asleep.

When the ticks got really bad ... he developed a skin condition and lost a lot of his hair ... but, with a little treatment ... and maybe I snuck him a little extra food ... his coat returned ...

post-104736-0-30927800-1416983591.jpg

I didn't know it ATT ... but he's 14 in this photo!

Life at the Farm was good. Cyclic ... but good.

MissFarmGirl and I had Twin Boys.

Who was there to keep guard?

post-104736-0-64676900-1416984387.jpg

Like most things ... I was hoping that the good things, the good times never end ... but we all know they do.

For Moo ... they did.

We were out at the Pond and I noticed more then the usual number of ticks ... maybe that day I spent an hour and maybe harvested 100+

Ditto the next day.

Moo got slower.

And slower.

Then stopped eating.

And drinking.

... crying.gif

I knew ... we all knew.

The sun was setting soon.

At that stage I said goodbye to him ... while he was still alive.

It meant nothing to him of course ... meant the world to me ... thanked him for being the Family's protector.

Actually I thought he was 14 ... but I was reminded that he came to us when Fluke was born ... and she's 16 now.

16 hey ... a darn good innings ... it didn't matter ... he was a mate.

We tried ... ... I tried. Vets weren't an option ... don't ask.

I tried water, I tried syringes and water ... I tried the vitamins we gave to the boys when they were pre-mature to give Moo some strength.

It almost broke a man's heart to walk out, see him use all his failing energy to wag his tail as best he could ... but he tried.

Twice he got up ... swaggered like a drunken sailor and fell into the pond. When he did this ... I stayed with him maybe 10 or 20 mins each time, washing the cool water over him.

I was the only guy with enough strength to haul him out of the pond (I was almost knee deep in the mud) ... and place him back in the shade and comfort him the best we could. He's not a small dog.

The next day (a few months ago now), we had a decent Storm at the Farm. He was resting under the awning ... but he got his face in the rain.

Young Fill, bless her 8 yo heart, went out with a torch and an umbrella to check on him.

She placed a small chair and some cover over his head to report that he was 'sleeping'.

That worried me because it was a decent storm, he hated thunder and surely he'd not sleep though this.

Sure, he passed that night. Fill was the last to see him ... she did what she could.

We all did what we could.

The next morning we buried him. The Farm Father and I dug the hole. Extra deep mind you ... he cautioned about the Gold and Silver Dragon 'Here' that might try his luck.

There is a special site for him ... near the Banana Trees. The Farm Father placed a few flowering weeds on top.

I hope, when I go back ... I'll remember just where they are are planted.

Yes ... Moo was a dog ... but he was special to us.

Special to the Family.

Moo ... I miss you mate.

post-104736-0-09357700-1416986031.jpg

Hallelujah - Hallelujah - Hallelujah - Hallelujah.

Now I've heard there was a secret chord ... That David played, and it pleased the Lord ... But you don't really care for music, do you? ... It goes like this ... The fourth, the fifth ... The minor fall, the major lift ... The baffled king composing hallelujah

David48, sounds like a great dog. Sorry for your loss ! I have lost a few during my life and I still get tears in my eyes when I think about them, even as I write this. They were true friends who showed unconditional love.

Go out and find yourself another great dog. There are many out there looking for homes.

I might add, 16 years was a good run so you were doing something right.

Your friend, guardian, and companion has left us. Seeing him keep guard over the twins reminds me of the Irish Setter that was with us for a few years after I was born, and the Golden Retriever we had had when my first son was born. Thank you, David, for bringing those memories back to me with your heartfelt post and photos. What might feel like a hole in your heart is just your heart getting bigger, preparing you for your next companion.

We went through the 100 ticks a day stuff with one of our dogs, once the eggs have been laid it takes ages to get through the sporadic hatchings of the little b%^^&rs. He also constantly reinfected the other dogs and brought them into the house. Took us about a year to get through that but we also give them tick shampoo once a week plus Bayticol occasionally. We officially declared the dog pound and the house, including our beds, tick free a few days ago. The big ones are the dangerous ones so a daily going over, which they generally enjoy, is essential.I am not criticising what you did, just thinking that when the resistance of an animal is reduced then it is more vulnerable to attack by parasites such as ticks.

Sorry about your loss, they sure doleave a hole, don't they?

I feel your loss as my Avatar passed 18 months ago lying next to my chair in the living room where his mother, father, sister and uncle started their journeys to rainbow bridge. I also live on a farm and the ticks are a problem that is impossible to control with chemicals and pills. I now have nine and the one to two hour removal exercise is a daily chore.

Beautiful post! My condolensces.

Dog's connection with man is truly a phenonema.

I hope we can get 16 years out of my buddy Guinness. He defended us last night from an attempted bulgary. What a guy!

I have no fear about him being poisoned; he sits and looks at his food for at least 15 mins while considering if it's edible or not. He won't even eat sticky rice. Wise beyond his year, is our Guinness.

My missus even refers to him as 'her boy' and says she will be so sad if anything happens to him.

Edited by ChrisB87

Thanks guys.

Many of us have had one.

But, when we lose one, it leaves a hole, a gap.

Not do many posts on this forum. After reading the post have to comment. Befriended a few Soi dogs many years ago when I lived in a townhouse.

Ended up after a while only one left with us. (see earlier post few years back)

It were uncanny, the dog always knew what I meant and/or wanted, never had to say a word.

Before it passed away, would not leave my side. Always knew, when I were due to go back offshore, easy to notice by it's demeanour.

I were heartbroken the day it passed away, lost something inside.

Those that cannot see the special thing/bond/loyalty/protection/love dogs gives you, or does not like dogs.

Then I steer clear of them.

They are missing some type of love/compassion/understanding, etc, etc inside.

Edited by tmd5855

David:

What a great loss you have had. My last two puppies have been stolen. It is so heart breaking that I refuse to get another dog.

Hoping that your fish farm is doing well. My fishing park has been closed for a month. The cool weather has slowed down the fishing to the point that it is not worth keeping open. I have a big problem with the Thai customers throwing plastic bags and bottles in the water and leaving a lot on the shore line. I put out lots of trash cans but they throw the thrash out of the cans and use them to put water and fish in. Do you have any suggestions? We did not charge an admission fee but they pay 50 Baht per kg for the fish they catch. A lot of hiding of the fish in bags and buckets with lids on them.

Such a nice story regarding a dog in Thailand he was obviously loved very much and am sure he returned the compliment in his own way RIP Moo time for the long rest now, you just cant beat having a dog for honest affection. Probably the best read I have had on TVF in the past few years an honest heart-warming story.

One of the sad things about life is it must end. I have a great dog, Gooey. I found her sleeping on the road just born some 16 years ago and she has been part of our family ever since. She suffers with these ticks and we also have tried many things but always go back to removing them by hand.

Her eyesight is failing now but the unconditional love is still there.

I am aware that emotional attachments cause suffering and I do well in that department but alas I always have a soft spot in my heart for her.

post-9404-0-97028800-1417045322_thumb.jp

Find another street dog and give him the kind of life he should have.

I to have a few stores of my past dogs but I don't want to take away from your story

I had tears in my eyes today because your story is similar to mine

I always remember a twilight zone story on TV that sums up a mans feeling for his dog goes something like this

A man was out hunting with his hound as they came along a stream the dog jumped in and did not come out so the man jumped in to save the dog he loved so much but both did not make it out of the pond .

As he was approaching the gates with his dog a person was there an was welcoming the man inside saying this is heaven .

But the man said the dog was not permitted in heaven he had to leave the dog out side the gates .

The hunter said if my dog can not go to heaven then I am not going .

He walked away , then came across another gate we're a person was standing and said welcome to heaven , welcome to come in.

The hunter replied no thanks , and the man asked why ,

The hunter relplied my dog is not allowed so I will stay with my dog

The man replied sir your dog is allowed in heaven because they show unconditional love and the unconditional love you have for your dog is why u are coming in to heaven

Then the man walked with his dog to eternity ...

It is the unconditional love of a dog that gets me every time

RIP Moo

I like dogs, especially with some hot chili sauce a and squeeze of lime.

And when we thought trolls could not get any lower, one always finds something distasteful and poor to say

I think he's just trying to inject some humour.

sorry for your loss david,you know in your heart he passed away a very happy,loyal freind.my wife calls me moo she has done for over 28yrs so your boy was up there with the best of us.

i have living by me a girl that makes plaques,so i would like to have one made for you to place where is resting place is.so please send me what you would like it to say as a memoreiam to MOO MOO.

MEATBOY.

An ode to Moo

A dog is indeed a man's best friend,

unconditionally, to the end.

Expecting nothing, they give us their all

protecting our houses, fetching the ball.

They give us affection and loyalty too.

Rest in Peace My brave little Moo!