UK Visit Visa - Money / Bank

I have lived in Thailand for 4 years and will be returning to the UK sometime between mid January - Mid February - I want to take my wife and initially she would come on a 6 month visit visa.

Over the past 4 years I have been a teacher and my wife has worked but not full time for over 1 year now. The last 6 months or so she has looked after her nephew and niece so has been very busy but not earning a salary. On the requirements list it says that the applicant needs to show a bank statement for at least 6 months, thus giving her a reason to return to Thailand. What money we have had, we have always put it into my account as I have had a salary coming in to the account and we've always thought it not worth opening 2. We use a different account for savings but again its in my name. My main question is, Will this hinder the process? I could start now by opening an account and putting money in it but will this look 'real'?

I know it also says about showing a spouses income and other related documents, would it be worth putting a note with it explaining we use my account as a joint account?

My folks will sponsor my missus from the UK - they can show funds no problem but since selling the 3 bedroom family home they have downsized and are now renting a nice 1 bedroom apartment. Would they be able to say we could stay? They could write that the living room would be used for our sole purpose?

Although I plan to sleep at my folks for a night or 2, I plan to rent my own place ASAP.

How can I go about wording the request.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Yes I could go down the agency route but I live in Sukhothai and we don't have that sort of service here.

Thoughts please, thank you.

biggrin.pngthumbsup.gifbiggrin.pngthumbsup.gif

From a useless member ;-)

When it comes to the application I want it to be as simple as possible, as I'm sure everyone does.

So you reckon the 1 bedroom flat even if spacious is a no no? I wont mention the going renting bit at all.

Can the accommodation be offered by someone who does have the room?

For eg. folks put up the funds, close friend puts up the accommodation?

Cheers

From UK visit visa basics:

Finance can come from the applicant's resources, the sponsor's, a third party's or any combination of these. Whoever is contributing to the finances should provide evidence of their ability to do so,6 months bank statements are best, and if a third party say why they are doing so.

Do not be tempted to pad the applicant's bank account prior to applying with a lump sum. Not only is it unnecessary, it can also arouse the ECO's suspicions as they will want to know where this money suddenly came from and why.

If staying in a private household the person offering accommodation should write an invitation letter briefly describing the property to show that at least one room is available for the exclusive use of the applicant; although sharing with their sponsor or a friend or relative of the same sex is fine. It will help if the person offering the accommodation supplies proof of ownership or a letter from their landlord granting permission for the visitor to stay; whichever is applicable.

Although aimed more at settlement applications than visit ones, the requirements regarding adequacy of accommodation and avoidance of overcrowding in Maintenance and accommodation (MAA) apply to both types of application.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

From UK visit visa basics:

Finance can come from the applicant's resources, the sponsor's, a third party's or any combination of these. Whoever is contributing to the finances should provide evidence of their ability to do so,6 months bank statements are best, and if a third party say why they are doing so.

Do not be tempted to pad the applicant's bank account prior to applying with a lump sum. Not only is it unnecessary, it can also arouse the ECO's suspicions as they will want to know where this money suddenly came from and why.

If staying in a private household the person offering accommodation should write an invitation letter briefly describing the property to show that at least one room is available for the exclusive use of the applicant; although sharing with their sponsor or a friend or relative of the same sex is fine. It will help if the person offering the accommodation supplies proof of ownership or a letter from their landlord granting permission for the visitor to stay; whichever is applicable.

Although aimed more at settlement applications than visit ones, the requirements regarding adequacy of accommodation and avoidance of overcrowding in Maintenance and accommodation (MAA) apply to both types of application.

Thanks I read this pinned thread above. Its very handy and cleared up the finances aspect of the funds. If in what I am reading above is that it shouldn't matter about who has what money wise?

Can the accommodation be offered by someone who does have the room?

Yes is the short answer.

But, as you already stated, jambco, keep it simple.

Thanks again. so yes is the short answer but its best to have both things offered by 1 sponsor. Gotcha thumbsup.gif

What is the wait time for the process? On the gov website it says no longer than 30 days. Is this fair? Also does the third party sponsor have to fill in any official documents or is it all letters and statements etc. or do they need an application form?

Sorry for my lack of knowledge. I seem to have read a lot of information on the subject but it's as clear as mud to me.

I appreciate all the help.

biggrin.pngthumbsup.gif biggrin.png thumbsup.gif

Edit - Just a thought. What about parents funds and uncles house (uncle being mothers brother)? Simple enough?

Cheers again

Edited by jambco984

If a person is providing financial support they will need to supply evidence of their ability to do so, bank statements, pay slips and the like, ECO's won't just take their word.

It's also worth including a note from them as to why they are providing financial support.

Regarding accommodation, the person providing the accommodation will need to satisfy the ECO that suitable accommodation is available to the applicant.

• Like 1

So on the housing act section it states,

A house is considered to be overcrowded if 2 persons aged 10 years or more of opposite sexes, who are not living together as husband and wife, must sleep in the same room. The Act also details the maximum number of people allowed for a given number of rooms or a given room floor area.

Account is taken only of rooms with a floor area larger than 50 square feet and rooms of a type used either as a living room or bedroom.

Rooms such as kitchens or bathrooms are excluded.

Under the Housing Act, the number of people sleeping in accommodation must not exceed the following:

Number of rooms Maximum number of people allowed

1 2

2 3

So does that mean I can use this thinking?

1 room (bedroom) used by my folks. 1 room (living room) used by my wife and I?

Maximum number of people being 3 - Do we count as 1?

Again is this too complicated? Will they see it that way or should I move on to another option?

Thanks

EDIT - From the Housing Act website.

Responsibility of occupier
327 Penalty for occupier causing or permitting overcrowding.

(1)The occupier of a dwelling who causes or permits it to be overcrowded commits a summary offence, subject to subsection (2).

(2)The occupier is not guilty of an offence—

(a)if the overcrowding is within the exceptions specified in section 328 (Children) or 329 (children attaining age of 10 or visiting relatives),

329 Exception; visiting member of family.

Where the persons sleeping in an overcrowded dwelling include a member of the occupier’s family who does not live there but is sleeping there temporarily, the occupier is not guilty of an offence under section 327 (occupier causing or permitting overcrowding) unless the circumstances are such that he would be so guilty if that member of his family were not sleeping there.329 Exception; visiting member of family.

Where the persons sleeping in an overcrowded dwelling include a member of the occupier’s family who does not live there but is sleeping there temporarily, the occupier is not guilty of an offence under section 327 (occupier causing or permitting overcrowding) unless the circumstances are such that he would be so guilty if that member of his family were not sleeping there.

Defo been over done now biggrin.png

Edited by jambco984

If a person is providing financial support they will need to supply evidence of their ability to do so, bank statements, pay slips and the like, ECO's won't just take their word.

It's also worth including a note from them as to why they are providing financial support.

Regarding accommodation, the person providing the accommodation will need to satisfy the ECO that suitable accommodation is available to the applicant.

Thanks. I get what you're saying, maybe what I wrote wasn't very clear. The person who is providing support has to show bank statements and pay slips yes, but do they need to fill out an application form of sorts?

I don't think I am putting the right things in to these posts anymore tonight, its been a long day and maybe I should look at it again tomorrow.

Head is conked out - Thank you.

wacko.png.pagespeed.ce.jGW10VtQsI.pngthumbsup.gif.pagespeed.ce.dtxKiAJ9C7.gifxbiggrin.png.pagespeed.ic.XhpYJIv77v.png

No, only supporting letters and appropriate evidence required. Though, your wife's application will be detailed with the necessary contacts as a cross reference.

Sleep on it and consider all aspects logically - like you are the ECO considering your wife's / girlfriend's application - and you won't go far wrong. Don't rush.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

No, they don't need to fill out any application forms.

The applicant needs to ensure that the financial support evidence is clear and that the ECO be satisfied that it's genuine and sufficient for the applicants needs.

Thanks for that. Much appreciated.

No, only supporting letters and appropriate evidence required. Though, your wife's application will be detailed with the necessary contacts as a cross reference.

Sleep on it and consider all aspects logically - like you are the ECO considering your wife's / girlfriend's application - and you won't go far wrong. Don't rush.

Thanks also. Yeah no rushing is going to happen. After sleeping on it and having a good think and clearing my head I've decided to go alone first and then bring my wife a couple of months down the line when I have settled into my job and earning the required 18,600 GBP to get her a more permanent visa.

Thank you for your help. If I do change my mind again I will refer to this information. As always priceless stuff from thaivisa and the awesome and knowledgeable members. OK enough trumpet blowing biggrin.pngthumbsup.gifbiggrin.pngthumbsup.gif

• Like 1