Jomtien Beach - The sweet smell of garbage

WillLangdon

The dozens of overflowing, rank, garbage bins piling up along Jomtien don't smell sweet but the contract to the collectors sure does.

Must be nice to have that contract with the city to collect garbage.(and not pick it up)

Why bother paying staff to pick it up when you can drop off more and more filthy bins when they overflow?

Who cares if the entire length of Jomtien Beach Road resembles a stinky landfill.

Not the City.

post-227057-0-83352000-1417044285_thumb.

post-227057-0-38426800-1417044303_thumb.

post-227057-0-21982400-1417044322_thumb.

Edited by WillLangdon
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

saw this overflowing garbage situation in Jomtien today.

I sat down to eat at one of the beachside restaurants and had to leave because there were so many flies swarming.

could barely stand the stench!

I should've known there was a problem when I walked to the place and the owner was by himself swatting away flies. :(

Edited by OnMyWay2

It is amazing Thailand for sure. Especially nice on beach road when water truck comes by for a hose down... ah the soup! One advantage of smoking is less sensitive ability to smell. And Thailand now wants to attract more Japanese tourists, but don't consider cleaning up a tad.

I have nice view of second road and empty area near one of new constructions. Public dumping ground. I feel like getting a slingshot a popping off some rocks at those turds.

As a 'tourist' who came to Jomtein after looking at many websites and travel items, my initial reaction to the complete and utter shambles that is beach road was one of total dismay. The stench from the bins, the pollution in the sea, the pavements that are a disgrace to any self respecting 'navvy', the danger crossing beech road from pig ignorant motorists, the lack of beach to enjoy, due to the shanty towns of umbrella's, the hawkers constantly harassing me to buy crap and the surly service from the 'service staff' in the shops/restaurants are all, in my opinion, reasons to stay away from this area.

The farcical way that 2nd road has now taken the southbound traffic from the north end along with the life threatening roadworks at the end of soi 5 are a disgrace to any highway maintence department in the world.

Before any of the 'welcome to Thailand', 'go home if you do not like it', 'Thainess' or ' Thai bashing' comments start, I have to confess to being quite smitten with the place.

My observation being, that in order to be in 'local' government to assist in changing ones community area for the better one surely has to be university educated and therefor aware of best practice.

Yes, I am aware that corruption may happen but for how many more generations can the lack of care for tomorrow be allowed to be destroyed for the 'minority' greed today people?

• Like 1

I have been there for 6 years and its changed quite dramaticly. Jomtien 2nd road is a speed way for buses and i think they need speed humps at soi 7. Id say there has been about 15 deaths on that road since it has been built. Russians are now a big part although this year the numbers have dropped. When all those new apartments are filled i think it will start to be more like pattaya 2nd road. The brach seems to have stayed the same which had always been crappy and dirty. Jomtuen used to be a haven for gays but i dont care about that. Things will get worse there not better.

• Like 1