Thai tourism ministry unveils plan for sustainable tourism growth

webfact

Someone should tell this minister that Thailand is not cheap. An average return flight is about 800 euros for a start. If you want good clean food you have to pay the price. The shopping malls are more expensive than in Europe. Decent hotel prices are about the same as everywhere else. But, and it's a big but, the pavements are in ruins, the gutters and drains are filthy, there is no decent, safe reliable public transport ( especially on Phuket ) the beaches are rat infested and I could go on and on. Where most people living here have got used to these conditions over the years, for tourists it's all bad news !

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course Thailand can't be really cheap if you stick to shopping malls where Farahng companies sell Farang stuff to Farangs on vacation. Same same for Farang restaurants.

But Thai food is much cheaper, and I really prefer Thai food to the kind of antibiotics leftover they sell at McDonald's.

If you think the beaches are filthy, then please look who litters. You use the infrastructure of Thailand without any thoughts about what you leave over in their environment. In Farang countries you pay taxes for this.

Public transportation could be better, if course. But please compare it to the public transport you're offered in Farang countries, say in LA.

Compare airline ticket prices to carriers from Farang countries, and compare services.

Compare criminality, the way they treat the old and disabled.

You will rarely find a country so safe, friendly and clean as Thailand.

So a country with a population of 65 million expects over a 3rd increase in terms of numbers over a year?

That basically implies that one in three people you see will be a foreigner. I doubt very much 25 million people holiday in Thailand every year. These figures just don't make sense when you see the hoteliers bleating about the lack of numbers in the main tourist hotspots.

25 million tourists in Thailand a year does not mean evey third person you will see is a foreigner. Most will only be here for two weeks or even less. Using two weeks effectively reducing the number in Thailand to one million. On average 1 in 65 people you meet are likely to by foreign. Except that most tourists are clustered in a few areas of a few places.

Hence I am now off to walk Beach Road and expect 20-30% of the persons I meet to be Chinese tourists.

Of course Thailand can't be really cheap if you stick to shopping malls where Farahng companies sell Farang stuff to Farangs on vacation. Same same for Farang restaurants.

But Thai food is much cheaper, and I really prefer Thai food to the kind of antibiotics leftover they sell at McDonald's.

If you think the beaches are filthy, then please look who litters. You use the infrastructure of Thailand without any thoughts about what you leave over in their environment. In Farang countries you pay taxes for this.

Public transportation could be better, if course. But please compare it to the public transport you're offered in Farang countries, say in LA.

Compare airline ticket prices to carriers from Farang countries, and compare services.

Compare criminality, the way they treat the old and disabled.

You will rarely find a country so safe, friendly and clean as Thailand.

Who do you think does the littering? Do you think that it is Russian, Chinese, Americans, Europeans that fly into Thailand with their suitcases packed with builders/ demolition waste not to mention putresible waste? Jomtien is a disgrace as are the outskirts of Pattaya. Waste is dumped everywhere it is possible to dump it.

Yes I do think that Pattaya Beach is filthy. Go there at low tide and see the beautiful sight of bottles and plastic bags. Any other tourist resort in an urban environment like Pattaya the beach is cleaned at every low tide(I mean every low tide).

You talk about tax payers. Whilst you are cleaning up the environment you could stop people burning plastic and other waste outside my hotel.

As for the stupid futile whistle blowing that goes on. No where else in the world do they use whistles like the Thais so much and to so little effect. The other major irritation in my life is the lack of pavements almost everywhere in central Pattaya and elsewhere.

All tourists who come here pay tax to the Thai government. Some of that should be being used to clean the beaches and empty the rubbish bins as necessary. If the bins overflow with rubbish then empty them more often and provide more of them.

I have spent a lot of time in India and yes Thailand is cleaner than India. If that is your standard then I wish you the best of luck in attracting wealthy discerning Tourists. Actually the busy beaches in Goa were cleaned on a far more regular basis than in Pattaya.

• Like 2

TAT trotting out the same old crap they do every year, their figures are all pipe dreams and they are not competent enough to get any of their ideas into action, and for their information Thailand is NOT a cheap destination any more, as for refuse/litter, i do a fair amount of fishing but do not leave litter for others to clean up but most Thais DO, ok, rant over but i am sure you get my drift coffee1.gif

• Like 1

The entire industry from top to bottom is in the wrong hands. Jobs from Hotel Managers up to the TAT and Tourism Ministry are given to family members and those of hi-so status through a patronage system, instead to qualified staff.

With a few exceptions the service quality is of low standard caused by the low education provided and the unwillingness of staff to learn. (You pay peanuts- you’ll get monkeys)

The typical mind set- tourist numbers are decreasing so we better lure the super rich, and to avoid losses we stick to the stupid idea: those who still come have to pay for the no-shows- brings their desperation and incompetence to the surface.

Greed, scams, unsafe transportation on the roads and rails, double pricing, visa issues, increasing crime rates are problems that cannot be solved by meetings, unnecessary and stupid surveys and unsubstantial propaganda. The practice not to point at and tackle the problems in fear someone may lose face makes it all worse.

To make it short: they are killing the goose that used to lay golden eggs.

All of the above together with when first disembarking your flight to be greeted by some surly little b4st4rd angrily ordering you to GET IN LINE for a VOA counter when you'd already pointed out you already have a visa as happened to me just yesterday. Piece of sh1t.

They could really do with working on tourists' first interaction with certain of the delightful citizens of this country that are the miserable unsmiling a*sholes who make up Immigration bah.gif

I'd say the Marshall law doesn't have a great deal to do with it. I believe in some respects they have been victims of their own success and greed.

I'd disagree with the first part of your comment. The issue with Martial law being in place is not being able to get travel insurance which will surely impact tourist numbers - especially when one considers the recent (and long term) crimes against people and property

How many more times? Travel insurance is not invalid as a result of martial law.

Really? And for the last time, travel insurance can be invalid due to martial law. After 2 minutes of looking I found these which totally contradict your ridiculous statement. so for the last time, look at this and to make it easy for you, page 5, point 13 © ("c) war, invasion or warlike operations (whether war be declared or not), hostile acts of sovereign or government entities, civil war, rebellion, revolution, insurrection, civil commotion assuming the proportions of or amounting to an uprising, military or usurped power or martial law or confiscation by order of any government or public authority; http://www.outbackerinsurance.com/content/policywording-outbacker-natcat.pdf

Or here? http://www.stickboybangkok.com/news/valid-medical-travel-insurance-thailand/ or http://www.globalsurance.com/choose-your-plan/travel-more-info/

I could go on but you can do your own research - in fact you should do research before making statements that make you look dim-witted

I would say that the term dim-witted would more likely be applied to someone who quotes from an insurance policy that covers only natural catastrophes, that is not a travel insurance policy, which is what we are talking about here, and who reads parts of the policy in isolation, missing the part where it states that the the exclusion would apply only as a direct or indirect result of such actions. If you are sick, involved in a car accident, lose your baggage or get mugged coverage will apply as normal.

As for Stickboy, have you read his policy wording? No, nor have I. I will agree that there may be some rare policies where coverage may be entirely excluded, though I have yet to come across one.

As you may realise, I have done my research and as someone with extensive knowledge of insurance policy wordings I stick by my comment until someone can show me a wording that specifically excludes all claims made whilst a country is under martial law.

On the bright side, prices in Pattaya will fall as town would be a ghost town, among many other similar towns.

All in all, a great plan with great future outlook

Prices in the nightlife areas have just had their annual high season rises.......

I will visit town tonight for the firework festival, and I am certainly not expecting a ghost town, more likely traffic jams as I try to drive in.

And people jams as I attempt to move around on foot.

The place would be busier if they made some effort to tidy it up, it is a scruffy dump. Looks okay under the cover of darkness.

Well if you coming for fireworks festival for 1 day a year, that should be enough to sustain the city for the rest 364 days

They only have it for 2 days a year so I think 50% attendance in a 5 star hotel may help!

And yes it was pretty busy and a good night.

Other than that ...err I live here and visit town often!

Edited by jacko45k

The entire industry from top to bottom is in the wrong hands. Jobs from Hotel Managers up to the TAT and Tourism Ministry are given to family members and those of hi-so status through a patronage system, instead to qualified staff.

With a few exceptions the service quality is of low standard caused by the low education provided and the unwillingness of staff to learn. (You pay peanuts- you’ll get monkeys)

The typical mind set- tourist numbers are decreasing so we better lure the super rich, and to avoid losses we stick to the stupid idea: those who still come have to pay for the no-shows- brings their desperation and incompetence to the surface.

Greed, scams, unsafe transportation on the roads and rails, double pricing, visa issues, increasing crime rates are problems that cannot be solved by meetings, unnecessary and stupid surveys and unsubstantial propaganda. The practice not to point at and tackle the problems in fear someone may lose face makes it all worse.

All of the above together with when first disembarking your flight to be greeted by some surly little b4st4rd angrily ordering you to GET IN LINE for a VOA counter when you'd already pointed out you already have a visa as happened to me just yesterday. Piece of sh1t.

They could really do with working on tourists' first interaction with certain of the delightful citizens of this country that are the miserable unsmiling a*sholes who make up Immigration bah.gif

I'm going to agree with you on this one. On my last trip back, I can't even find a word to describe the faces of the immigration officials at BKK. If I was a tourist I would have looked for the next outbound flight. Incidentally I have talked to a number of people in the last month who have said the same, and added that embassies and consulates (Thai) seem much more "unfriendly" also.

I'm going to agree with you on this one. On my last trip back, I can't even find a word to describe the faces of the immigration officials at BKK. If I was a tourist I would have looked for the next outbound flight. Incidentally I have talked to a number of people in the last month who have said the same, and added that embassies and consulates (Thai) seem much more "unfriendly" also.

Try Myanmar! On a recent trip I met the most friendly, smiling, chatting, assisting immigration officers in the entire region. It's possible- obviously not in the so called Land of Smiles. Well, the TAT is right at least one time: It starts with the people- but they forgot to tell this the people at the entrance.

Sad to see Thailand so far down the holiday destination list many of the apprentices in my UK company used to love coming to Thailand for a three week party but it all started to get to expensive flights hotels for them to go to the holiday hot spots in Thailand and when one of the apprentices got fleeced it reverberated through them all so now I think only one comes back regularly about once every two years and the others go clubbing to Spain or Greece for a few weeks at the time cheaper flights safer resorts and only downside drinks in Spanish clubs about 10 euro a pop

There was an interesting letter to the editor in a major English language newspaper from Bangkok on 29 Nov which highlights some of the problems that need to be addressed by the Tourism and Sports Ministry. Two European tourists were hassled by the BIB on two separate occasions- one of which included an on-the-spot urine test for drugs- while they were in Bangkok. According to the letter, when asked why they were being stopped the cops were unresponsive and refused to provide identification.

These two people will spread word of mouth to others that Thailand is certainly not the "Land of Smiles" and that there are other places where tourists are treated more fairly and welcomed in a much more pleasant way. These tourists (according to the letter) were first time visitors to Thailand and now leave here with a very negative attitude about the country. Perhaps there is more to the story than is stated in the letter but it would certainly appear that the BIB do not seem to be reading from the same page as the Tourism and Sports Ministry regarding how to welcome visitors to the Kingdom.

They will probably use social media as well as word of mouth to tell friends to avoid Thailand. That kind of advertising will prove to be very difficult to overcome and people will chose to spend their money in other vacation destinations rather than here. Perhaps a required training course should be aimed at the BIB regarding how to treat tourists given that over 12% of the GDP of the Kingdom comes from tourists they are hassling.

"Perceptions that Thailand is a cheap destination needs to change"

A plan of great genius there from the Ministry of Tourism that the can convince more people to come if they think it is more expensive here....

But that 'I hate Thailand' video made Thailand seem so appealing to the floppy haired, back packery student types. What's with all the mixed messages? blink.png

Of course the smart thing to do would be to cater to BOTH markets, budget and luxury, and I guess something in between.

Because the likes of Jungle Jim doesn't like the grungy look or backpacker despite it not even being his country!!

Thailand needs tourists doesn't matter about their social status it's all about what revenue they spend at the end of the day.

People like Jim forget that they're pretty much nobody's in Thailand but think they're somebody!!

Just about anybody in LOS who isn't Thai is looked down upon, all you have to do is just stop the cash flow to see what they think of non Thai's.

One of the things about this long ongoing "quality tourists" desire that I've thought particularly foolish is that the well-heeled tourists are likely to stay, eat, and shop at venues that have international ownership, and a big chunk of the money leaves the country. This is even true for those places with wealthy Thai ownership. On the other hand, backpackers and those a step or two up from them (ie., virtually everyone) tend to stay and eat in smaller, locally owned places where the money gets pumped right back into the local economy. The multiplier from that tourist money is almost certain to be far higher than from "quality" tourists, even though the cash per tourist is less.

Not to mention that there are plenty of undesirables - crooks, pedophiles, etc. - among the well-heeled.

• Like 1