Definition of Big Bike

tmaker

Well, I'm only 23 so most the guys I knew where around that age. Most 300-600 sports bikes. An occasional Rebel or some other classic bike.

Where in the States were you?

I would assume that those who lived in a more temperate area would have a wider range of bikes. Up near the Great Lakes people pretty much go 'big' for their bikes as there is such little time to ride them.

Well, I'm only 23 so most the guys I knew where around that age. Most 300-600 sports bikes. An occasional Rebel or some other classic bike.

Where in the States were you?

I would assume that those who lived in a more temperate area would have a wider range of bikes. Up near the Great Lakes people pretty much go 'big' for their bikes as there is such little time to ride them.

Kentucky. A decent sized city with a large college. So most riders were college kids, I never really noticed many older guys at all now that I think about it. And the riding season is pretty long.

Kentucky. A decent sized city with a large college. So most riders were college kids, I never really noticed many older guys at all now that I think about it. And the riding season is pretty long.

I have an aunt who lives in Lexington. Keep going up I-75 and turn left just inside of Michigan and you'll be at my old stomping grounds.

To be honest, if you didn't mind the bitting wind, you could ride from around April to mid October....or 6 months. However you pretty much needed big brass ones for the first and last months of that time....or good warm gear.

I have an aunt who lives in Lexington. Keep going up I-75 and turn left just inside of Michigan and you'll be at my old stomping grounds.

To be honest, if you didn't mind the bitting wind, you could ride from around April to mid October....or 6 months. However you pretty much needed big brass ones for the first and last months of that time....or good warm gear.

Yeah I'd usually put my bike up sometime in Oct and get it back out around March/April. But daily riding wasn't usually possible past Sept or before end of Apr

A conundrum. The Yamaha Virago 750cc is bored out to 1100 for some markets, (sorry, was bored out). Mine in Bkk, which I had for a dozen years and would dearly love another, was a 750. If I bored it out to 1100, and made not a single other alteration, what is the category, medium or big? (On the litre scale of some posters, that is.)

A conundrum. The Yamaha Virago 750cc is bored out to 1100 for some markets, (sorry, was bored out). Mine in Bkk, which I had for a dozen years and would dearly love another, was a 750. If I bored it out to 1100, and made not a single other alteration, what is the category, medium or big? (On the litre scale of some posters, that is.)

I would say yes.

As an aside, I usually think of cruisers as having higher engine capacities than other bikes to end up in one of the size categories. A couple of reasons. First is their relative ease of control. That in and of itself means little, but usually I think that smaller bikes are easier to control. Secondly is their relative lack of HP and conversely their usual attribute of even tractable torque. This ties into the ease of control also as it's not too intimidating and makes the chicken dance of shifting easier. Finally their weight. Combined with the second point, they aren't exactly the fastest bikes out there and often perform similar to a lower sized category bike. Thus I would probably assume the 883 Harleys are actually middle sized bikes as even my baby 500X out accelerates it and has a higher top end.

Scooters Phantoms Kawasaki boss less than desirable

250 cc Pipsqueak Range

500-750 cc Medium Range

800-900 cc Large medium

1000 - whatever cc (After a Liter) BIG BIKE

You do realize that there are bikes between 901cc-999cc right? Lol I guess they don't have a category, poor me.

250 cc Pipsqueak Range

500-750 cc Medium Range

800-900 cc Large medium

You do realize that there are bikes between 901cc-999cc right? Lol I guess they don't have a category, poor me.

Let me guess...you got one of them there fancy Italeean or Ahustrian (probably powered by a kanh-aaa-roo) bikes? When you get a real Jap or 'Merican or Limey bike come back and talk as only those bikes use properly sized engines.

cheesy.gif

**P.S. Before anybody goes off their rocker, please read my signature. MOKTHX

250 cc Pipsqueak Range

500-750 cc Medium Range

800-900 cc Large medium

Let me guess...you got one of them there fancy Italeean or Ahustrian (probably powered by a kanh-aaa-roo) bikes? When you get a real Jap or 'Merican or Limey bike come back and talk as only those bikes use properly sized engines.

cheesy.gif

Ummmmmm nope. I have a JAPANESE Honda CBR 929cc, you know, the one made before the CBR 954cc.

Don't hide behind your signature as an excuse for your ignorance.

250 cc Pipsqueak Range

500-750 cc Medium Range

800-900 cc Large medium

cheesy.gif

Ummmmmm nope. I have a JAPANESE Honda CBR 929cc, you know, the one made before the CBR 954cc.

Don't hide behind your signature as an excuse for your ignorance.

I am well aware of those bikes as well as the CB1000F (only 999cc) RC51 (also only 999cc), VTR 1000 (only 996cc), etc. And I won't go into the other manufacturers. Throwing a tantrum when there's plenty of evidence my post was made tongue in cheek sure doesn't bode well for your blood pressure. As you're new around here, I won't point out the banality of you attacking a post that was in jest while you totally ignored the fact that the 251-500 segment and 759-799 segments were overlooked as well in the post you were replying to.

I didn't mention the other cc sizes because you don't think they are big bikes. If you want me to list every size bike that falls under 901-999cc, well I apologize as I don't have time. New to a forum does not mean new to life.

If you think me correcting you is throwing a tantrum then there is nothing further to discuss.

Perhaps stop making yourself look silly and go to sleep?

I didn't mention the other cc sizes because you don't think they are big bikes. If you want me to list every size bike that falls under 901-999cc, well I apologize as I don't have time. New to a forum does not mean new to life.

If you think me correcting you is throwing a tantrum then there is nothing further to discuss.

Perhaps stop making yourself look silly and go to sleep?

Let's look at the progression if you can follow things through logically. There was a question posited about what a "Big Bike" is in regards to Thailand. The bikes from the OP would be considered toy bikes in the West...but this is "ThaiVisa", so we'll stick to that. Early on I posited a general rule of thumb that fell in line with what other posters thought and ended up getting 5 likes. Now, popularity isn't the best indicator of the actual facts, but when there is a confluence of opinions on an arbritary definition, it's a safe bet that it is in fact the correct line of thinking.

Nobody said that "new to a forum means new to life"...but there are subtleties to the interactions that go on that are best observed before making assumptions. And a large amount of assumptions you made. You apparently decided to misinterpret a fun harmless post and go on a personal attack by calling my ignorant. You continued this vector by attempting to conflate my response with being silly. If you are in Thailand and have the same attitude, I wonder how well you function with the locals. Of course that is an assumption on my part; either you are perfectly nice in person (and thus adopt the persona of a yelping dog keyboard warrior) or perhaps you aren't in Thailand.

And you have a pleasant evening as well.

• Like 2

My bike is 998 ccm, but it has original 189,5 horse powers. It`s less than one litre, but its a fast <deleted>...cker. R1. Is it a middel large motorbike ? The size is almost like CBR 150 ?

Same-same as a CBR 150 if you're trying to find parking spaces. If it's too fast of a <deleted>...cker, you can put a top box and pillion boxes on it to slow it down. That would send Highwyrider over the edge.

It's totally relative, like dick size. In the US, a Big Bike is over 1,000 cc. In the States, my Er6n would be considered a woman's bike or a starter bike. Any dick over 7" is a Big Dick.

But over here, in the land of scooters and scooter gangs (sounds a little oxymoronic), my ERn6 is definitely a Big Bike and my 6" dick is a Big Dick.

• Like 1

250 cc Pipsqueak Range

500-750 cc Medium Range

800-900 cc Large medium

In the States A big Bike has always been a liter up , at least that is the way I always have heard my riding companions consider it.

Hardly anyone rides less than a liter bike in the U.S. unless it is a dirtbike....then you don't want a huge bike to rip it up with.

Only in Thailand have I ever heard a 400 or a 650 considered a big bike. Sport bike ya but a Big Bike only in your dreams.

What in the hell are you talking about? Out of the ~60 or so people I know back home (USA) who ride, only about ~6 have a liter or up (and those are all old dudes on big cruisers). The other ~55 are all on 250-600 range, with 300-500 probably being the most common.

Where the hell have you been. There is a huge sport liter bike crowd. You seem to over look the entire population of BMW K bike owners, so say nothing of all the big rice grinders like the Hayabusa, etc.

250 cc Pipsqueak Range

500-750 cc Medium Range

800-900 cc Large medium

In the States A big Bike has always been a liter up , at least that is the way I always have heard my riding companions consider it.

Hardly anyone rides less than a liter bike in the U.S. unless it is a dirtbike....then you don't want a huge bike to rip it up with.

Only in Thailand have I ever heard a 400 or a 650 considered a big bike. Sport bike ya but a Big Bike only in your dreams.

What in the hell are you talking about? Out of the ~60 or so people I know back home (USA) who ride, only about ~6 have a liter or up (and those are all old dudes on big cruisers). The other ~55 are all on 250-600 range, with 300-500 probably being the most common.

Where the hell have you been. There is a huge sport liter bike crowd. You seem to over look the entire population of BMW K bike owners, so say nothing of all the big rice grinders like the Hayabusa, etc.

That has nothing to do with anything...

You said "hardly anyone rides less than a liter in the US" as that is just not true.

250 cc Pipsqueak Range

500-750 cc Medium Range

800-900 cc Large medium

I ride with 2 groups either once or twice a year zero 600's in the group Stinson beach runs have been always 1000 cc & up. 600-650 considered a beginners bike for serious riders every major us mag states the same. Sorry difference of opinion.300-500 range for city runs only . You will get shreaded with such a small ride on a beach run.We obviously ride in different groups. I personally have not had a 500 cc bike since 1974. But I make sure I can always afford a decent road bike for the freeways.Tennessee does not have the cash that California has Rev that is why you see more mid to small cc bikes Nor do they have the freeway systems where big bikes rule . Been thru Tenn 3 times Had a 48 Harley sporty that I learned on.

Edited by Beardog

250 cc Pipsqueak Range

500-750 cc Medium Range

800-900 cc Large medium

My bad should be 801-999 cc almost a liter bike. But your Japanese Honda sounds like a nice ride. I think the Japanese versions still have an edge on the U.S. built bikes in the similar categories.

Edited by Beardog

My CRF250 was ordered out of the 'big bike' area at Central Festering in Chiang Mai - the sign did actually say 'Over 500cc'.

I noticed the sign at Central Airport says 'Over 200cc'.

If it says over 500cc then yes you were wrong. Must hurt for loads of the 500cc guys. I would say anything over 250 is big though 250 is a nice bike for sure.

My CRF250 was ordered out of the 'big bike' area at Central Festering in Chiang Mai - the sign did actually say 'Over 500cc'.

If it says over 500cc then yes you were wrong. Must hurt for loads of the 500cc guys. I would say anything over 250 is big though 250 is a nice bike for sure.

The thing is even a 250cc costs 2-3 times (or way more depending on the bike) as much as most the scooters you see. Plus the scooters tend to jam in making it difficult to get a bigger bike out of the parking spot. I wouldn't want my bike crammed in or bumped into. At least surrounded by other 'big bikes' that isn't a worry.

The thing is even a 250cc costs 2-3 times (or way more depending on the bike) as much as most the scooters you see. Plus the scooters tend to jam in making it difficult to get a bigger bike out of the parking spot. I wouldn't want my bike crammed in or bumped into. At least surrounded by other 'big bikes' that isn't a worry.
I know owned a 250 before. But rules are rules else the big bike section gets too crowded and the bigger bikes have no room they are even more expensive and heavier in weight.

I know owned a 250 before. But rules are rules else the big bike section gets too crowded and the bigger bikes have no room they are even more expensive and heavier in weight.

I'd be okay if it wasn't for the cramming in. People on scooters don't realize that a bigger bike needs a lot more room to maneuver in and out of parking. They just see it leaned over and park as close as possible without realizing that once it stands back up it needs a lot more room.

• Like 2

I'd be okay if it wasn't for the cramming in. People on scooters don't realize that a bigger bike needs a lot more room to maneuver in and out of parking. They just see it leaned over and park as close as possible without realizing that once it stands back up it needs a lot more room.

maybe they just dont care. I know it can be hard to get your bike parked properly. Thais dont care too much about others if there is no confrontation.
  • Like 1

Yeah...the wedging the bikes in is what disgruntles me the most. I've taken to parking in at extreme angles instead of the straight in that is the most polite. That way I have plenty of room to manoeuvre.

The worst experience I had was at IT Mall Lak Si. Some ratty old Wave parked directly behind me...when there was room to park beside me! The dumbass then locked his steering. Seriously, the bike was worth 10K...if that. So I spent the next 10 minutes moving his bike around mine, to the front of the rows (yes, the bikes were two deep) and over about 5 meters. I also ensured that I tipped the bike over on its side stand so that I could place his front tyre up under the guard rail and to the right of the vertical post. With his rear tyre between the front wheels of two other bikes I hope he didn't have enough strength to reverse what I did and had to wait for the other owners to come.

Yes, I can be a miserable bastard when the situation calls for it.

• Like 1