Just got kicked out of thai with valid visa

the weird part about the whole thing is they are questioning something that has already been given to you basically challenging another officer who issued the visa will this happen with tourist visas also i always figured i was safe as long as i had a valid document but am now secknd guessing that also. went in for a tourist visa extention recently and was asked a couple questions by the officer regarding address seemed to be looking it up online. not sure anymore about just following the regulations, when you have peabrains given flexibility you are going to have problems sooner or later.

It is not specific to Thailand, Customers and Immigration are not there as a rubber stamp and are there to do a job. That is to determine if those that are allowed to enter can enter, and those that have been issued visas are living up to their responsibilities and not abusing the privilege. The staff at the embassy (usually locals) embassy do not have access to the blacklist database, so someone blacklisted can get a visa but on arrival in Thailand get refused entry because they are blacklisted. Now if you go around with the mindset that they are peabrains for doing their job, this will eventually slip out in your attitude when dealing with them... so if they don't take a liking to you... it might be because of your attitude showing though.

• Like 1

• Replies 950
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a US citizen. 66 years old.

I just went out and back in on my first extension of my stay on an ED visa.

I was not asked anything about anything.

Just the usual minute or so for them to check their database and I was in and out.

So, IF there is a "crackdown" I gratefully did not experience such.

I am a US citizen. 66 years old.

I just went out and back in on my first extension of my stay on an ED visa.

I was not asked anything about anything.

Just the usual minute or so for them to check their database and I was in and out.

So, IF there is a "crackdown" I gratefully did not experience such.

It was only your first extension, and my guess your passport does not have an extensive history of other visas? (short-term student so far)

They are not likely going to test everyone under the current "crackdown", only those that they likely have cause to suspect may be abusing the visa. i.e. long stay - along with poor language skills relative to that stay (in total, not just ED).

After 6 months or 9 months they might expect you to have learned a very basic amount of Thai.

Why did you choose an Ed visa instead of retirement visa?

Does you school keep track of attendance?

Do you think your school accurately marked your attendance report used for your extension?

@JohnnyBkk

I think the best thing to do is fly back to France and throw your Passport in the trash.

Report it lost and get a new one. Apply for a Tourist Visa or better NON-IMMI-B Visa.

Sell out all your staff and return back to France. Or look for a Job and get a proper work permit.

Good Luck :)

@JohnnyBkk

I think the best thing to do is fly back to France and throw your Passport in the trash.

Report it lost and get a new one. Apply for a Tourist Visa or better NON-IMMI-B Visa.

Sell out all your staff and return back to France. Or look for a Job and get a proper work permit.

Good Luck smile.png

Very bad advice. Countries take lost / stolen passports very seriously.... the black market for "stolen" passports is quite lucrative and the government may be suspicious about the potential that you sold it.... it can cause problems if you lose or have another one stolen and then your passport privileges get curtailed.

Applying for a new visa in France might be easier, but he could get into trouble on entry once they pull up his prior passport based on name and date of birth and if the dates indicate that he is playing games - he might end up in even worse problems.

If you rely on the stupidity of others... you will eventually put yourself in a corner that you cannot get out of.

Edited by bkkcanuck8

If you want a new passport without losing your old, make two trips..... The first is to Israel and then a second to another country that will not allow you to enter if you have an Israeli stamp in your passport.... it gives you a reason to request a second passport :P (I am assuming that France has similar regulations in regards to issues like this).

I had a helpful girlfriend decided to do my laundry once. Unfortunately she didn't know my passport was in my pants pocket. About 3 years before expired.

Amazing most the stamps were still readable but I sent my old passport and paid for a new passport.

Nothing to hide but difficult for machines to scan it.

I don't believe Thailand well be fooled by changing passports.

I assumed linked together and everything is in the computer.

But I don't think you are blacklisted.

You have a Thai child. But if under 50 you probably need to show minimum income to live in Thailand. Not sure if you are using foreign income to support your child is sufficient.

You just apply for a new passport. No need to loose it or anything else. Most countries will be more than happy to issue a new one if you are willing to pay the fee for it.

At 250 euros for a 64 pages, my embassy was more than happy to issue me a new one ; even if the previous one was only half full.

Opposite, they perfectly understood that was better for me not travel anymore with a deny stamp in my book.

They said i will be refused in other countries because of my thailand refusal stamp. They dont want to let me fly anywhere else than france.

This is wrong.

No one will refuse you.

I have been in the same situation in Japan

They wanted to send me back to France.

I flew back to Taiwan where I had a valid working visa.

I got a replacement passport last DEC when realized only had 6 months left and by time went to hcmc I would have less than 6 months. Was advised get a new passport.

Stevie??

Just do a search here on the forum, quite a few threads about that Jackie. Or check here yourself, http://www.staralliance.com/en/services/visa-and-health/.

Final edit: if you look at the mfa website, see here, http://www.mfa.go.th...ce-of-Visa.html, you will see for tourist visa 6 months passport validity required, no such requirement for visa exempt entries.

This link states clearly that six months remaining passport validity is a requirement: http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/123/15380-Questions-&-Answers-on-Thai-Visa.html

That info is not completely correct for most people that get visa exempt entries all that is needed is passport validity equal for the length of stay allowed. See: http://www.staralliance.com/en/services/visa-and-health/

But if making a trip to a ASEAN country you will need 6 months passport validity to enter.

So, when it comes to visa requirements (i.e. six month validity of a passport), who is most likely to have the correct information? Star Alliance or the Ministry of Foreign Affairs? My bet is on the one that makes the rules.

David

The days of entering Thailand on a suspect Ed Visa are finished.

Those entering Thailand for an extended period are required under Thai immigration law to have the correct and appropriate visa to which there intended purpose of stay may be.

All countries require this.

This is bollony

No Thai student can write and read English after 6 months

• Like 1

That info is not completely correct for most people that get visa exempt entries all that is needed is passport validity equal for the length of stay allowed. See: http://www.staralliance.com/en/services/visa-and-health/

But if making a trip to a ASEAN country you will need 6 months passport validity to enter.

So, when it comes to visa requirements (i.e. six month validity of a passport), who is most likely to have the correct information? Star Alliance or the Ministry of Foreign Affairs? My bet is on the one that makes the rules.

David

If you look at the info by going to the website you will notice it is from a IATA database. The IATA gets their info from the Thai government. They don't make up the rules.

Many people have reported that they entered the country with less than 6 months passport validity.

You just apply for a new passport. No need to loose it or anything else. Most countries will be more than happy to issue a new one if you are willing to pay the fee for it.

That's an interesting thought. I understand that your 3rd US passport replacement is only good for one year because they think you are selling your passport. Or is this not true if you give the USA your old passport?

That's an interesting thought. I understand that your 3rd US passport replacement is only good for one year because they think you are selling your passport. Or is this not true if you give the USA your old passport?

That rule is only for reporting lost or stolen passports.

How would your sell your old passport after getting a new one. It is stamped cancelled and there are holes punched in the front cover.

Those entering Thailand for an extended period are required under Thai immigration law to have the correct and appropriate visa to which there intended purpose of stay may be.

This is bollony

Do you believe that a Thai adult married to a British women and living in Britain 8 years and then attends an English language school for 8 months, and the school's method is only use Thai language script for reading would not know basic reading after 8 months?

He said he could already speak Thai. Only needed to learn the letters and vowels.

An adult after learning the letters for a few months should be able to pronounce many words. If you already have a good Thai vocabulary then reading isn't difficult.

David

If you look at the info by going to the website you will notice it is from a IATA database. The IATA gets their info from the Thai government. They don't make up the rules.

Many people have reported that they entered the country with less than 6 months passport validity.

As an old retired lawyer, I always favor primary sources over secondary sources. When the primary source (MFA) is different from the secondary source (Star Alliance/IATA), even if it is supposed to have been received from the primary source, always trust the primary source.

As for people entering the country with less than 6 months validity on their passports, people also arrive here with less than the required amount of funds to enter and are allowed in. That does not change the requirement, it only reflects on the enforcement in those particular cases.

David

This is bollony

Do you believe that a Thai adult married to a British women and living in Britain 8 years and then attends an English language school for 8 months, and the school's method is only use Thai language script for reading would not know basic reading after 8 months?

He said he could already speak Thai. Only needed to learn the letters and vowels.

An adult after learning the letters for a few months should be able to pronounce many words. If you already have a good Thai vocabulary then reading isn't difficult.

I am in my 4th month

And NO after 6 months you cannot read and write Thai.

0-3 leaning alphabet and syllabs

3-6months You are learning separate words

Edited by Kitsune

I wonder just how many of these education visas are real; I suspect not that many. I know of several "seniors" with such visas who are only required to attend one, half hour lesson per week and have never been tested for knowledge of the Thai language or whatever. If such people have to resort to education visas because they do not have the funds available to obtain a retirement visa, then Thailand is quite right in not wanting them here.

You should be ashamed to speak like this

The OP is a FATHER of a Thai child,

He's on a legit Thai learning school sponsored and recommended here to learn Thai

He can speak Thai.

When is this stupid witch's hunt will end?

What happened to decency?

Thai immigration has managed to turn Farangs against each others and this reeks really bad.

It's only a "legitimate visa" if you're using it for it's intended purposes. The OP wasn't attending classes, so it's irrelevant as to whether he could speak Thai or not.

• Like 1

I am in my 4th month

And NO after 6 months you cannot read and write Thai.

0-3 leaning alphabet and syllabs

3-6months You are learning separate words

Maybe the OP couldn't read or write any of the alphabet. I don't think anyone has suggested that he should be able to read and write fluently after 6 months.

I wonder just how many of these education visas are real; I suspect not that many. I know of several "seniors" with such visas who are only required to attend one, half hour lesson per week and have never been tested for knowledge of the Thai language or whatever. If such people have to resort to education visas because they do not have the funds available to obtain a retirement visa, then Thailand is quite right in not wanting them here.

He's on a legit Thai learning school sponsored and recommended here to learn Thai

He can speak Thai.

Thai immigration has managed to turn Farangs against each others and this reeks really bad.

Being a father is irrelevant to the Ed visa. But it might give him other options. Is he taking care of his kid after the divorce? Don't know. I hope Yes.

Did you miss that he said he didn't attend classes? He felt paying the school was enough.

The government give him a visa to attend classes to learn Thai. He did not attend classes. The popularity of his school is not relevant.

By your logic someone on a tourist visa or retirement visa should not be prevented from working. They have a valid visa.

Someone said over 95% of the students in the school were on Ed visa and the school would go out of business if Ed visa was no longer the cheapest and easiest long term visa.

It would be interesting if a school could have maximum 50% of students on Ed Visa. The other 50 % came for the quality of learning the language. The school needs to offer a quality service other than Ed visa.

There are many Thai language schools that survive without offering visas . The quality and cost is comparable but they don't have enough capital to get MOE approval.

He can speak Thai.

Being a father is irrelevant to the Ed visa. But it might give him other options. Is he taking care of his kid after the divorce? Don't know. I hope Yes.

Did you miss that he said he didn't attend classes? He felt paying the school was enough.

The government give him a visa to attend classes to learn Thai. He did not attend classes. The popularity of his school is not relevant.

By your logic someone on a tourist visa or retirement visa should not be prevented from working. They have a valid visa.

No Thai student is expected to speak English after 6 months

Let alone read and write.

He can speak Thai.

It's only a "legitimate visa" if you're using it for it's intended purposes. The OP wasn't attending classes, so it's irrelevant as to whether he could speak Thai or not.

This is ridiculous

Being able to speak Thai after 6 months is way higher than what is expected of a Thai learning English.

This is ridiculous

Being able to speak Thai after 6 months is way higher than what is expected of a Thai learning English.

It doesn't matter if he was fluent in Thai or couldn't speak a word of it.

He WAS NOT attending classes. Therefore his ED visa was invalid.

Edited by whybother
  • Like 1

He can speak Thai.

This is ridiculous

But to a Thai learning English is difficult BUT learning Thai must be easy, because they speak, read and write it!

Understand :-D

I would think a person that was a tourist many times and got an Ed visa would not be questioned much.

Students immersed in the language should learn quicker. Learning is not limited to the classroom.

A person in Thailand many years in various visas would fall into suspicion.

People here many years on non working visas might be suspicious about how they support themselves without working.

Retired people and married people are required to show proof of finances.

People on long term non working visas should have proof of finances for the length of their visa.