Just got kicked out of thai with valid visa

I have a domestic flight in Thailand in January. From Don Mueng to Surat. I go to classes and am learning but I still don't want to get a complete grilling like I did in Chaeng Wattana last time! Do you think I'll get this treatment for a domestic flight?

You won't have to go through immigration/customs for a domestic flight.

• Replies 950
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a domestic flight in Thailand in January. From Don Mueng to Surat. I go to classes and am learning but I still don't want to get a complete grilling like I did in Chaeng Wattana last time! Do you think I'll get this treatment for a domestic flight?

You will not be interrogated about your visa because you are not leaving or entering Thailand. However if an Immigration Official is present he may check that you have a valid visa in your passport but it's highly unlikely.

You will not be interrogated about your visa because you are not leaving or entering Thailand. However if an Immigration Official is present he may check that you have a valid visa in your passport but it's highly unlikely.

Sounds like he got a cavity search last time. :D

• Like 1

She hated the people that just came at extension time.

Sounds a bit extreme. At my school you don't need to attend a class at extension time, just pick up forms from front reception from one lady at the end of the day. No need for teachers to see non-attenders or be disrupted by them. Would be quite rare for a Thai to feel genuine hatred in that spot.

My ex went to the immigration with the photo of my passport and stuff and they told her that the ED visa are boggus now. She also asked if i could get a visa with my thai son and they said no, only visa for mums now... They told her i could come back only as a tourist.

I must confess that I do not know a great deal about ED Visas. I might be wrong, but it seems to me from following this thread that at some time the OP must have produced a letter to immigration saying he attended classes. This document was false and prepared and produced with intent to deceive immigration that OP coplied with requirements. I sincerely hope the school loses its licence and/or the individual who signed the document is prosecuted.

The schools bear a big part of the responsibilty. If you look at many (not all) adverts the emphasis is getting a visa not learning Thai.

I feel sorry for those who get a visa and genuinely want to learn Thai. I feel sorry for those who do not particularly want to learn Thai, but go to classes to comply with visa requirements. In the end these people will suffer because of people like the OP for whom I have no sympathy.

If after 8 years in Thailand he spoke Thai well enough that hed did not need lessons then he did not need an ED Visa. End of.

I would only add that I, like a number other posters, feel there is more to this story. Was he flagged on the Immigration computer for some reason?

• Like 2

She hated the people that just came at extension time.

Sounds a bit extreme. At my school you don't need to attend a class at extension time, just pick up forms from front reception from one lady at the end of the day. No need for teachers to see non-attenders or be disrupted by them. Would be quite rare for a Thai to feel genuine hatred in that spot.

Maybe many did as you say and never attend class. She never saw them

My friend was Canadian and legally working and paid to actually learn Thai. She already had a visa. The students joked with her about the only student not on a Ed visa.

By the students she saw, less than 35% attended class regularly.

The regular people attended less than 75% of the time.

A school may make a claim of 80% attendance because attendance is never checked.

But comparing number of students enrolled and number of classes offered, it might possibly indicate 30-40 students per scheduled class.

Immigration could easily check if the school facilities(buildings and teachers) could even come close to teaching the number enrolled.

My ex went to the immigration with the photo of my passport and stuff and they told her that the ED visa are boggus now. She also asked if i could get a visa with my thai son and they said no, only visa for mums now... They told her i could come back only as a tourist.

Incorrect. But you must legitimize your child first before you are able to get extensions of stay based upon your Thai child.

A single entry non-O is available on only the birth certificate naming you as the father.

I would assume all schools licensed by MOE would inform students officially attendance is required.

Do schools check attendance or assume all the students are attending regularly and only miss an occasional class?

My school took attendance and had me sign the sheet each time I attended - 4 to 5 years ago. I would think that they MOE would make that abundantly clear on the application form that you have to sign at the beginning (I forget what was on that) -- but even without being explicitly aware of it.... I would think it would be common sense....

• Like 1

Was your son born while you were married and you are listed as the father?

I must confess that I do not know a great deal about ED Visas. I might be wrong, but it seems to me from following this thread that at some time the OP must have produced a letter to immigration saying he attended classes. This document was false and prepared and produced with intent to deceive immigration that OP coplied with requirements. I sincerely hope the school loses its licence and/or the individual who signed the document is prosecuted.

The schools bear a big part of the responsibilty. If you look at many (not all) adverts the emphasis is getting a visa not learning Thai.

I feel sorry for those who get a visa and genuinely want to learn Thai. I feel sorry for those who do not particularly want to learn Thai, but go to classes to comply with visa requirements. In the end these people will suffer because of people like the OP for whom I have no sympathy.

If after 8 years in Thailand he spoke Thai well enough that hed did not need lessons then he did not need an ED Visa. End of.

I would only add that I, like a number other posters, feel there is more to this story. Was he flagged on the Immigration computer for some reason?

My friend watched many students get their extension paperwork. Always the same process.

Front desk asks if you left the country in the last 3 months.

Then the staff marks perfect attendance for the school days you were in the country.

Not sure if all schools do the same but this was her observation of many students.

Maybe this results in a school attendance rate of 80%.

Part of the extension paperwork shown to get an extension is attendance report supplied by the school.

It is common opinion that many people on Ed Visa seldom attend classes.

If students are not attending but still getting extension reports then what does that imply about the submitted attendance report from some schools.

My friend is now taking private lessons and happy.

Incorrect. But you must legitimize your child first before you are able to get extensions of stay based upon your Thai child.

A single entry non-O is available on only the birth certificate naming you as the father.

He's already in every paper of mine i'm legally the father, my ex wife went to the immigration and they told her i couldn't get a visa with my son, that this kind of visa was reserved only for womans. I know that normally i can get the non-o visa with my son, but it appears that it's not possible anymore or my ex got wrong informations at chaeng wattana.

He's already in every paper of mine i'm legally the father, my ex wife went to the immigration and they told her i couldn't get a visa with my son, that this kind of visa was reserved only for womans. I know that normally i can get the non-o visa with my son, but it appears that it's not possible anymore or my ex got wrong informations at chaeng wattana.

Or she doesn't want you back for the long term.

My friend watched many students get their extension paperwork. Always the same process.

Then the staff marks perfect attendance for the school days you were in the country.

Not sure if all schools do the same but this was her observation of many students.

Maybe this results in a school attendance rate of 80%.

Part of the extension paperwork shown to get an extension is attendance report supplied by the school.

If students are not attending but still getting extension reports then what does that imply about the submitted attendance report from some schools.

My friend is now taking private lessons and happy.

Schools like this should lose their license.... since they are doing fraudulent reporting to MOE/Immigration.

• Like 1

How to know what is true?

Certainly Thailand has been making a lot of enemies lately. The OP could be some bored ex visa runner, sitting Phnom Pen, that was chucked out of the country and wants to stir things up.

Then again, immigration can be a bit weird, no doubt about that. And there is a growing anti foreigner attitude here. So who knows?

On the whole as much as I have mostly enjoyed many years here, it would seem to have lost its mojo and is becoming less of a destination and increasingly less of a nice place to be.

i was going to do this ed visa thing awhile back with walen also decided it was easier and just about the same cost to cheaply fly to surrounding areas like vietnam, cambodia part of the year and what have you for the stint there instead of putting such time into learning a language i dont use and is not very valuable in the future. pretty sure i made the right choice but i can appreciate your need to be in thailand for your own personal reasons but after this jazz being held in a room i say if your divorced its high time you explored some other locations you can get laid anywhere around also btw

Just do a search here on the forum, quite a few threads about that Jackie. Or check here yourself, http://www.staralliance.com/en/services/visa-and-health/.

Interesting, I followed up the financial requirements on that link, and found the following, with my italics:

Visitors over 12 years of age are required to hold sufficient funds to cover their stay (at least THB 10,000.- per person or THB 20,000.- per family). Proof of funds includes Letters of Credit, vouchers, MCO's or well-known credit cards, which are honoured in Thailand. Exempt are: holders of a re-entry visa.

Have I misunderstood? Are these just the requirements that the airlines are supposed to enforce?

Just do a search here on the forum, quite a few threads about that Jackie. Or check here yourself, http://www.staralliance.com/en/services/visa-and-health/.

Interesting, I followed up the financial requirements on that link, and found the following, with my italics:

Visitors over 12 years of age are required to hold sufficient funds to cover their stay (at least THB 10,000.- per person or THB 20,000.- per family). Proof of funds includes Letters of Credit, vouchers, MCO's or well-known credit cards, which are honoured in Thailand. Exempt are: holders of a re-entry visa.

Have I misunderstood? Are these just the requirements that the airlines are supposed to enforce?
That is officially required to enter.

You can still get a single o without being the legal father. Then when in Thailand start the process right away. You'll have 3+2 months. Normally it would take 3 months. Then get a year extension.

I myself didn't dare to return on a tourist visa. As you know I have exactly the same stamp in my passport.

Record or not, I would get a new passport, get a single non-o or Thai elite and return with a shitload of cash in your pockets. When I returned I took 100k, just in case.

They told me the same at the Thai Embassy in HK. They just dont do single entry o visa there. But that doesnt mean the single o doesnt exsist. I got mine in Vientiene. Good luck!

Edited by DeeMak9

Schools like this should lose their license.... since they are doing fraudulent reporting to MOE/Immigration.

Based on immigration doing independent testing, I would assume the problem is in many schools and companies in the nation. Unfortunately they are targeting students and scaring possible legitimate students. No consequences for the school.

A very small percentage of illegitimate students are caught by random testing and many people at the school are already proficient after many years in Thailand.

If immigration fined the school of a caught illegitimate student 10 times the student yearly fees, the enforcement would be self funded.

Maybe less than 10% would be caught and the procedure still profitable for the school. Repeatedly catching schools providing false attendance reports to immigration results in closure and a fine equal to double the estimated profit from non attending students.

Fine the business providing inaccurate attendance reports, not the students taking advantage of illegal services.

Similar to going after the big drug dealers instead of individual users.

Due to the original Visa crack down they may be seeing an increase in ED visa's coming through and decided to challenge those carrying them. Totally self destructive as what ever figures TAT publish you would have to be blind not to realise the tourist industry is in melt down

In a melt down is it I guess that is why all of the hotels and guest rooms in my neighborhood are full, do a bit of research before writing nonsense

Airport can get real busy at times and sometimes trade around various hotels and areas can appear brisk. But make no mistake, tourism is in a melt down.

Spend per capita, spend per diem down, duration down and advance bookings in the loo.

Perhaps its time for another crackdown?

• Like 1

Airport can get real busy at times and sometimes trade around various hotels and areas can appear brisk. But make no mistake, tourism is in a melt down.

Spend per capita, spend per diem down, duration down and advance bookings in the loo.

Perhaps its time for another crackdown?

Yes, tourism is taking a big hit:

"In the first nine months of the year, Pattaya has seen only 6 million visitors, down about two million during the same period last year".

http://www.pattayamail.com/business/tourism-down-20-in-2014-high-season-looking-disappointing-pbta-says-42565

Edited by Timwin
  • Like 1

I read some reports that now the ED visa is for only 6 month, mine was older than 6 month. Maybe that's why i got refused.

I don't think it was since this is new and it has not been confirmed that it is a new immigration rule.

It is appears you were selected for additional screening on entry and could not supply financial proof to satisfy their requirements. This apparently included proof of income from outside the country since they also suspected you were working and/or conducting business here to earn income.

• Like 2

the weird part about the whole thing is they are questioning something that has already been given to you basically challenging another officer who issued the visa will this happen with tourist visas also i always figured i was safe as long as i had a valid document but am now secknd guessing that also. went in for a tourist visa extention recently and was asked a couple questions by the officer regarding address seemed to be looking it up online. not sure anymore about just following the regulations, when you have peabrains given flexibility you are going to have problems sooner or later.

the weird part about the whole thing is they are questioning something that has already been given to you basically challenging another officer who issued the visa will this happen with tourist visas also i always figured i was safe as long as i had a valid document but am now secknd guessing that also. went in for a tourist visa extention recently and was asked a couple questions by the officer regarding address seemed to be looking it up online. not sure anymore about just following the regulations, when you have peabrains given flexibility you are going to have problems sooner or later.

It was a bit hard to understand. Are the peabrains immigration or the ED visa holders?

• Like 1

Not sure if I missed it, but how many trips and how long were your trips to Hong Kong?

I would think the time to question if the schools attendance report was accurate or fictions is at extension time unless his passport shows frequent trips while supposedly studying in Thailand.

Are some school's students being target for non attendance?