Just got kicked out of thai with valid visa

• Replies 950
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well as many have stated....we only have Johnny's side of story.

I believe we have much more than that if you go through and look at the posts.

I have read every post.....can't find one from the senior IO.

I repeat....no one knows io reasons. Myself included. I'm suggesting it MAY not have been insufficient funds or reading test

The denial stamp written by the IO into his passport says insufficient funds and suspicion of being employed here. Nothing about Ed visas being a joke or lesson attendance compulsory.

The immigration office must have felt something was wrong, possibly from a combination of items. He marked the most verifiable reason for refusal. That fact can't be disputed. Non attending classes is difficult to prove since his school was marking the OP as attending(but not true).

I have heard of people being terminated for using copy machines for personal use or taking taking school supplies for personal use but basically the school didn't like him. Charges of theft are easier to prove than we think you are rude.

I understand the OP thinking he didn't need to attend classes and would still get his extensions. He was correct.

I laugh when people suggest that a visa to study in Thailand doesn't directly imply the need to go to school. Why would someone need a visa for Thailand if they were going to go to school in Thailand.

The person or company falsifying the attendance report should be penalized.

The OP stated he attended Wallen. Mr Wallen made reference to students are required to attend class. Mentioned some students miss a class here and there. Has not commented on what if any attendance records are submitted by schools. But again it isn't about attendance. Even if falsely supplied. Johnny had been married for I think 8 years and then on ed visa. Goes to HK for business regularly and often. He never really clarified how many entries he has had over many years. To same city. Red flag.

You sure about that stevie

Of course I'm, sure, I would not have posted otherwise.

Correct about no 6 months requirement for Thailand but the sentiment of The Spade's post is valid for all the other SEA countries people visa runners might travel to, and most of the world, so bit of a nitpick there.

Edited by jspill

I like confidence. Your saying that you do not require a passport with minimum 6 month validity. Meaning remaining life span of passport. Could you provide a link.

I'm always happy to learn and stand corrected.

I like confidence. Your saying that you do not require a passport with minimum 6 month validity. Meaning remaining life span of passport. Could you provide a link.

I'm always happy to learn and stand corrected.

Yeah, I'd love to see the source for that claim.

I got a replacement passport last DEC when realized only had 6 months left and by time went to hcmc I would have less than 6 months. Was advised get a new passport.

Stevie??

Edited by jacksam

I laugh when people suggest that a visa to study in Thailand doesn't directly imply the need to go to school. Why would someone need a visa for Thailand if they were going to go to school in Thailand.

Bit off topic and you may laugh at this too but personally I think anyone who can demonstrate they took the time to learn Thai, e.g. by passing the P6 exam, should be given a long stay visa in Thailand. Even if they did it in the USA without attending a school.

Not that I'm trying to tell Thailand what to do (my opinion is worthless) or think I deserve special treatment, I'm speaking from the perspective of if I were running a country. It would seem a logical way to attract quality expats who were interested in the culture. Especially a developing country where everyone is a net positive contribution to the economy. I'd stipulate that they show proof of X amount of funds sourced from offshore each month to show they weren't working here in a manual job capacity taking jobs from the locals in said country.

Edited by jspill

I got a replacement passport last DEC when realized only had 6 months left and by time went to hcmc I would have less than 6 months. Was advised get a new passport.

Stevie??

Just do a search here on the forum, quite a few threads about that Jackie. Or check here yourself, http://www.staralliance.com/en/services/visa-and-health/.

Final edit: if you look at the mfa website, see here, http://www.mfa.go.th...ce-of-Visa.html, you will see for tourist visa 6 months passport validity required, no such requirement for visa exempt entries.

Edited by stevenl

Bit off topic and you may laugh at this too but personally I think anyone who can demonstrate they took the time to learn Thai, e.g. by passing an exam, should be given a long stay visa in Thailand. Even if they did it in the USA without attending a school.

Not that I'm trying to tell Thailand what to do (my opinion is worthless) or think I deserve special treatment, I'm speaking from the perspective of if I were running a country. It would seem a logical way to attract quality expats who were interested in the culture. Especially a developing country where everyone is a net positive contribution to the economy. I'd stipulate that they show proof of X amount of funds sourced from offshore each month to show they weren't working here in a manual job capacity taking jobs from the locals in said country.

You would have difficulty running a bath, let alone a country. Think about how that would potentially work.

Most widely spoken language?

You would have difficulty running a bath, let alone a country. Think about how that would potentially work.

Enlighten me as to the issues with it? I'm not suggesting it for English speaking countries.

Enlighten me as to the issues with it? I'm not suggesting it for English speaking countries.

Just so it would suit your needs?

So, if you were going to stay long term what would your income tax contribution be like?

Bit off topic and you may laugh at this too but personally I think anyone who can demonstrate they took the time to learn Thai, e.g. by passing an exam, should be given a long stay visa in Thailand. Even if they did it in the USA without attending a school.

So according to your thesis any foreigner who has passed an English exam should have the right of abode in an English speaking country?

As regards the Digital Pikey stance on manual labor there are many highly skilled falungs working "on the tools" in Thailand welding, diving offshore and supervising and teaching Thais in factories, construction and O&G on the job.

Why don't you ask Walen for a job so you can teach Digital Pikery to the Thais?

• Like 2

So, if you were going to stay long term what would your income tax contribution be like?

No, I said if I were running a country. The applicants could apply and learn in their home country then take the exam here on arrival perhaps. Just like UK immigrants take an exam on the history and culture of the UK, to be approved for longer stay. An exam in English. So award expats long stay visas of X amount of time if they can pass an exam in Thai / Thai history. Make them pay for the exam, nice little money earner. Thai P6 exam is 2k Baht, there's your exam paper already.

I'm sure something could be set up re: taxes or just raise the cost of the tuition to whatever price point makes it worthwhile for the country to let all the people in. Anyway there's no benefits to claim, no incentive to disappear into the system (no gainful employment, no automatic green card).

I agree with you.

People that show respect for the country and culture and learn the language and can show financial resources to support himself I would considered a quality tourist.

But there is no specific visa for this category tourist.

I also agree your opinion/my opinion is worthless.

I believe we are their guests are only welcome here when we follow the rules of our host.

No matter how valuable I feel my contributions, it is up to my host if I am welcome.

• Like 1

So according to your thesis any foreigner who has passed an English exam should have the right of abode in an English speaking country?

<snip>

Nope, can you read? Rest of your post isn't worth replying too, you've posted extreme racist comments in other threads about muslims taking over the UK and the British Ambassador to Thailand being Indian, so no point engaging with you. But simply require X amount / month in offshore income on a bank statement and why would those who fit the bill bother to work here as a dive instructor.

Edited by jspill

Stevie??

Just do a search here on the forum, quite a few threads about that Jackie. Or check here yourself, http://www.staralliance.com/en/services/visa-and-health/.

Final edit: if you look at the mfa website, see here, http://www.mfa.go.th...ce-of-Visa.html, you will see for tourist visa 6 months passport validity required, no such requirement for visa exempt entries.

This link states clearly that six months remaining passport validity is a requirement: http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/123/15380-Questions-&-Answers-on-Thai-Visa.html

No, I said if I were running a country. The applicants could apply and learn in their home country then take the exam here on arrival perhaps. Just like UK immigrants take an exam on the history and culture of the UK, to be approved for longer stay. An exam in English. So award expats long stay visas of X amount of time if they can pass an exam in Thai / Thai history. Make them pay for the exam, nice little money earner. Thai P6 exam is 2k Baht, there's your exam paper already.

I'm sure something could be set up re: taxes or just raise the cost of the tuition to whatever price point makes it worthwhile for the country to let all the people in. Anyway there's no benefits to claim, no incentive to disappear into the system (no gainful employment, no automatic green card).

Well Jspill you have the option to apply for PR. Do you meet the criteria?

Stevie??

This link states clearly that six months remaining passport validity is a requirement: http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/123/15380-Questions-&-Answers-on-Thai-Visa.html

That info is not completely correct for most people that get visa exempt entries all that is needed is passport validity equal for the length of stay allowed. See: http://www.staralliance.com/en/services/visa-and-health/

But if making a trip to a ASEAN country you will need 6 months passport validity to enter.

Well Jspill you have the option to apply for PR. Do you meet the criteria?

The students needn't be given PR. I'm aware PR requires tax records.

As should any long term visa or anything that shows a clear kink to Thailand. Just soeaking the language means squat

<snip>

Nope, can you read? Rest of your post isn't worth replying too, you've posted extreme racist comments in other threads about muslims taking over the UK and the British Ambassador to Thailand being Indian, so no point engaging with you. But simply require X amount / month in offshore income on a bank statement and why would those who fit the bill bother to work here as a dive instructor.

How can I be racist? I love Thais!

An O&G Diver's starting monthly salary is $30k USD a month and some will earn nearly double that plus they get paid on their time off. I'm not talking about some Scratcher in Phuket teaching tourists without a work permit.

Bit off topic and you may laugh at this too but personally I think anyone who can demonstrate they took the time to learn Thai, e.g. by passing the P6 exam, should be given a long stay visa in Thailand. Even if they did it in the USA without attending a school.

Surely this post was in jest ... blink.png

Visas are for what you will do ...

Be a Tourist.

Visit Family.

Study a Subject.

Not what you have done before.

"May laugh?" ... definitely ... cheesy.gif

The OP stated he attended Wallen. Mr Wallen made reference to students are required to attend class. Mentioned some students miss a class here and there. Has not commented on what if any attendance records are submitted by schools. .

I would assume all schools licensed by MOE would inform students officially attendance is required.

Do schools check attendance or assume all the students are attending regularly and only miss an occasional class?

The OP stated he attended Wallen. Mr Wallen made reference to students are required to attend class. Mentioned some students miss a class here and there. Has not commented on what if any attendance records are submitted by schools. .

I would assume all schools licensed by MOE would inform students officially attendance is required.

Do schools check attendance or assume all the students are attending regularly and only miss an occasional class?

Walen has already stated that an 80% attendance record should be achieved by students. If someone has been on an ED Visa for a year or more and can't read some Thai and speak a reasonable amount I doubt the school will back a student that hasn't attended. Unless the student is mentally retarded of course.

I have a domestic flight in Thailand in January. From Don Mueng to Surat. I go to classes and am learning but I still don't want to get a complete grilling like I did in Chaeng Wattana last time! Do you think I'll get this treatment for a domestic flight?

I have two friends that wanted to learn Thai and attended a school on Asoke.

They tell me attendance of the regular students was 60-70%.

Frequently new students would appear for a couple lessons and the teacher would say - good to see you again. The students that came less than once a month disrupted her class.

She told me there was a core group of 5 students but in 6 months time about 10 other people came to an occasional class and were recognized by the teacher.

She hated the people that just came at extension time.