David Cameron urges EU support for migration plans

Lite Beer

As for Tep.... If I say it is 'fact' it is because I know it to be 'fact'.... rich coming from someone who copy and pastes contrived reports and tries to present them as 'facts'.... You clearly have no idea how politics work.

I have challenged you three times to disprove the findings of the UCL study that between 2001 - 2011 European immigrants contributed 64% more in taxes than they received in benefits. This is just one finding of the study. The study is based on analysis of data. I do not need to represent it as anything. The findings are clear to everyone. I ask you to disprove it. I ask you for one piece of data, one piece of evidence. Why don't you answer this? Why can't you answer this? You can throw all the insults you like. They are as anaemic as your child-like political views. It is time to put up or shut up.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's ask what I consider to be an elephant in the room question, which is:

"Is £6.50 ph a realistic living wage in the UK at this time?"

The Living Wage Foundation calculated that it is not, and has it at £7.85 ph outside of London. In London, £9.15

More than a few companies have no quarms about paying minimum wage when they could do much better, because they have calculated that the void will be filled by workers claiming for various benefits simultaneously so that people can live in the Britain of today on £6.50 ph when prices are what they are. I know this to be true from the mouths of managers who know exactly what they are doing. It is rather like the situation in the U.S where pitifull wages are payed to many service staff in the knowledge that customers are expected to repair the damage employers knowingly create, with customer tips.

Small struggling businesses, well that is one thing when they may find it impossible to pay more than £6.50 ph to be able to offer jobs, but for large luxury goods companies who openly and proudly post the profits that they have been raking in each year since 2008 and are still awarding high bonuses to 'upper' staff while everyone elses wage has been either frozen for years or reduced, or paying rock bottom minimum wage either to directly hired staff or via hiring people through middle men agencies that pay minimum wage back to their staff from the far higher fees they collect from such companies for the ease of renting disposable bodies, that is something to be addressed perhaps.

Economic Migrants may not be filling all the places available for Brits who are allegedly unable to find work because of E.U migrants, but E.U migrants are part of a vast pool of workers that companies can pluck from Europe wide if locals object to having the relative crumbs of minimum wage sprinkled back to them from companies who could do much much better. I think it boils down to local workers having no power anymore to get a better deal for themselves anymore, with that situation of free movement and work freedom over a vast expanse of Europe. By pointing that out, I'm not nescessarily suggesting anything, I'm just pointing out what it leads to. It is an employer's dream and an employees nightmare.

All this is just one of the ingredients in a very complex subject about migration that is so often reduced into simple terms either for or against. What I do know is that more than a few of the EU migrants who came here and then decided to settle, they end up seeing the exploitation going on eventually and find just how hard it is to get by in this country on £6.50 zero hour contracts. Working here seasonally and sending the cash back to a country where it goes a lot further, that is one thing. Living here is something else, and I personally know quite a lot of EU workers here for whom the gloss has worn off too.

Edit : Adding some line breaks biggrin.png

Edited by Lissos

So you moved to Thailand in order to pay less tax; i.e. improve your net income.

EU migrants move to the UK to work as they can earn more here than in their home country or they cannot find work in their home country; i.e. improve their net income.

No difference in intent that I can see.

Those who do come to the UK to claim benefits and live off the state will be sorely disappointed; they can't. To claim any non contribution based benefit in the UK an EU national must first pass the habitual residence test.

Of course, an EU national who has been working in the UK, paying tax and NICs who then becomes unemployed may claim any and all benefits to which their NICs may entitle them.

But even if an EU job seeker or an EU worker who loses their job does claim benefit, they must not become an unreasonable burden upon the state. This basically means that if they have not found work within three months then they must leave unless they can prove they have a real chance of starting work within the very near future.

The benefit reforms Cameron is putting forward are to in work benefits. That means one has to be working to claim them!

He, one assumes, sees no need to change the rules governing what unemployed EU migrants can and can't claim.

Q&A: What benefits can EU migrants get?

Of Course.

No immigrants from the EU or outside the EU claim benefits in the UK.

You really live in a dream world.

Go to your local jobcentre and see how many cannot even speak English.

If you want to quote HRT's at me. Try looking up how many centres have been busted for faking the results of the tests, Specifically the English Language test.

• Like 1

As for Tep.... If I say it is 'fact' it is because I know it to be 'fact'.... rich coming from someone who copy and pastes contrived reports and tries to present them as 'facts'.... You clearly have no idea how politics work.

I have challenged you three times to disprove the findings of the UCL study that between 2001 - 2011 European immigrants contributed 64% more in taxes than they received in benefits. This is just one finding of the study. The study is based on analysis of data. I do not need to represent it as anything. The findings are clear to everyone. I ask you to disprove it. I ask you for one piece of data, one piece of evidence. Why don't you answer this? Why can't you answer this? You can throw all the insults you like. They are as anaemic as your child-like political views. It is time to put up or shut up.

Making demands.

Pot and kettle mean anything to you.

Put up or shut up cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Your hilarious.

Just for you 7 x 7

His proposed changes include:

:: Blocking EU migrants from claiming in-work benefits or getting social housing until they have been in the country for four years

:: Ending the practice of child benefit being paid to parents whose children live abroad

Stopping all benefits for unemployed migrants, and threatening to remove individuals if they are still out of work after six months

:: Tougher and longer re-entry bans for rough sleepers, beggars and fraudsters

That is for EU migrants.

http://news.sky.com/story/1382012/cameron-sets-out-eu-migrant-crackdown-plans

The ONS data shows 583,000 people immigrated to the UK in the year ending June, up from the 502,000 in the previous 12 months.

In fairyland, no doubt ALL these people coming into the UK in the past year ALL had jobs

http://news.sky.com/story/1381360/net-migration-to-uk-soars-by-more-than-40-percent

And as all these things are interlinked

Assistant Chief Constable Paul Netherton, from Devon and Cornwall Police, said she was detained on Thursday night and sectioned on Friday lunchtime.

She should have been taken to hospital, but police were told there were no places for her anywhere in the UK.

What a damning indictement. Kept in a Police cell because no beds available in the UK anywhere. Why, because the NHS is at bursting point.

http://news.sky.com/story/1382785/girl-in-police-custody-as-no-nhs-beds-available

Might be some of the reasons that the Great has been dropped and its now just Britain.

So you moved to Thailand in order to pay less tax; i.e. improve your net income.

EU migrants move to the UK to work as they can earn more here than in their home country or they cannot find work in their home country; i.e. improve their net income.

Those who do come to the UK to claim benefits and live off the state will be sorely disappointed; they can't. To claim any non contribution based benefit in the UK an EU national must first pass the habitual residence test.

Of course, an EU national who has been working in the UK, paying tax and NICs who then becomes unemployed may claim any and all benefits to which their NICs may entitle them.

But even if an EU job seeker or an EU worker who loses their job does claim benefit, they must not become an unreasonable burden upon the state. This basically means that if they have not found work within three months then they must leave unless they can prove they have a real chance of starting work within the very near future.

The benefit reforms Cameron is putting forward are to in work benefits. That means one has to be working to claim them!

He, one assumes, sees no need to change the rules governing what unemployed EU migrants can and can't claim.

Of Course.

If you want to quote HRT's at me. Try looking up how many centres have been busted for faking the results of the tests, Specifically the English Language test.

4 years ago I was in and out the Job Centre all the time for 5 months trying to find a job, nether meet one person who could not speak English...

Edited by Basil B

Apart from stopping the EU people claiming benefits, what about stopping the ex pats who have not got 35 year or more more NI contributions for returning for NHS treatment, etc.

U-kippers must be in favour of that as well... well except for a few ex-patriot deckchair supportes I suppose. cheesy.gif

Edited by Basil B

4 years ago I was in and out the Job Centre all the time for 5 months trying to find a job, nether meet one person who could not speak English.

Lucky you.

what about stopping the ex pats who have not got 35 year or more more NI contributions for returning for NHS treatment, etc.

Do you know any expats who fly back to the UK for NHS treatment etc ? I certainly dont. Most, if not all the expats I know have their own Medical Insurance.

Don't try and confuse them with facts. It won't work...

British citizens who have been residing abroad are also subject to the habitual residence test upon their return. They have no more right to welfare in this regard than other EU nationals. I speak from experience.

Making demands.

Your hilarious.

My stalker is back. Just can't help himself. A bully spoiling for a fight. A creep. An ill mannered creep.

This post does exactly what for the discussion of the topic? I posted legitimate academic research containing specific data that has been challenged. Challenged multiple times with no foundation, no evidence, no data.

What next? start the defamation game on me like you play with other posters? Or do your crazy analysis of my posts and their timing and report some stupid conspiracy theory to the moderators like you did before. Creepy.

You are free to post whatever you like. I will continue to post my opinions. However, this is not a conversation. You are not a person suitable for serious conversation. Refrain from addressing anything to me. You are in violation of Rule 7. I will not tell you again.

Perhaps next time you are banned, it will be for a substantial period.

David Cameron has had 5 years together with Home Secretary Teresa May to come up with their claim that they will reduce Migration into "10s of Thousands" instead of which they have a massive failure of 250,000 extra to cope with,now they are desperately trying to convince the British Public that their Migration Policy has been a success, you have to admire their blatant lies,and Bravado. Let's fast forward to the next election,which can't be any worse than this mob of lying thieves.

UK migration: What's really happening?

The prime minister's speech on immigration is being billed as a plan that will change the face of the nation - but the official figures published yesterday show how it has already been transformed - and will continue to change in an era of mass movement of people.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-30243472

But anyone who knows something of the freedom of movement regulations can tell you that much of what Cameron has said is hot air designed to appeal to the right wing of his party and possible UKIP defectors; many of the 'changes' he proposes are not changes at all; they are already in the regulations.

Take one aspect; the 'find work in 6 months or leave." The regulations actually say job seekers are only supposed to stay for three months; Cameron wants to allow them double the amount of time in the regulations!

They are changes in the implementation of the EU laws. However, it is in the Tories' interest to present them as challenges to the EU laws.
  • Like 1

Cameroon just posturing. Mandarins in Europe will not let him change anything.

Needs to change the systems, way to generous and easy to fiddle. Child benefit, housing benefits. Attracts both home grown and foreign scoungers

Would like to stay in EEC but it is such a corrupt poorly run organisation, The only way is OUT.

Making demands.

Your hilarious.

My stalker is back. Just can't help himself. A bully spoiling for a fight. A creep. An ill mannered creep.

This post does exactly what for the discussion of the topic? I posted legitimate academic research containing specific data that has been challenged. Challenged multiple times with no foundation, no evidence, no data.

What next? start the defamation game on me like you play with other posters? Or do your crazy analysis of my posts and their timing and report some stupid conspiracy theory to the moderators like you did before. Creepy.

You are free to post whatever you like. I will continue to post my opinions. However, this is not a conversation. You are not a person suitable for serious conversation. Refrain from addressing anything to me. You are in violation of Rule 7. I will not tell you again.

Perhaps next time you are banned, it will be for a substantial period.

Banned ? Yet again you make assumptions.

Some people go through life making assumptions. They never, ever get very good at it.

You are correct though. I am free to post whatever I like. YOU will not tell me otherwise, and you are incapable of holding a conversation.

If you want to throw insults. go right ahead. It only shows the level of your intelligence. Although that was never in doubt.

Its strange that when someone mentions curbing Immigration they are immediately branded racist and Anti Immigrant. But when Cameron announces plans for the same thing. The silence is deafening.

http://news.sky.com/story/1382012/cameron-sets-out-eu-migrant-crackdown-plans

Edited by JockPieandBeans

Of Course.

1) I did not say that no immigrants from the EU or outside the EU claim benefits in the UK!

What I said, and is true, is that they are not automatically entitled to the full range of benefits immediately they arrive.

2) I deliver internal mail to Job Centres every day in my job. The staff there speak English to the public, all the signs and notices are in English only.

When was the last time you visited a Job Centre from your perch 6000 miles away?

3) The habitual residence test EU nationals have to pass in order to be eligible for non contribution based benefits is not an exam they have to sit! Read the link.

You are confusing this test with the English language test for non EU nationals; which is an exam they have to sit and pass.

Passing this allows them to enter or remain in the UK, but does not allow them to claim state benefits. Their ability to do so depends upon the type of leave to remain they have, how long they have been in the UK etc.

Some centres offering this English test have been guilty of fraud, resulting in TOEIC being removed from the UKVI list of approved test providers.

But that scandal has nothing to do with the subject of this topic; which is EU migration.

Just for you 7 x 7

His proposed changes include:

:: Blocking EU migrants from claiming in-work benefits or getting social housing until they have been in the country for four years

:: Ending the practice of child benefit being paid to parents whose children live abroad

Stopping all benefits for unemployed migrants, and threatening to remove individuals if they are still out of work after six months

:: Tougher and longer re-entry bans for rough sleepers, beggars and fraudsters

That is for EU migrants.

I know, you are merely repeating what I have already posted and commented on!

You really should actually read what people have posted before attempting to prove them wrong; you'll look far less foolish that way.

1) I did not say that no immigrants from the EU or outside the EU claim benefits in the UK!

What I said, and is true, is that they are not automatically entitled to the full range of benefits immediately they arrive.

Whether they are entitled to the full range of Benefits, whether they are from inside or outside the EU is immaterial.

The fact of the matter is, they receive benefits having paid nothing into the system. While there are UK Citizens that have paid into the system and are refused benefits, the system is seriously flawed. While 1 penny is handed over to anyone that has not paid in, and others who have paid in are refused, that system is wrong.

2) I deliver internal mail to Job Centres every day in my job. The staff there speak English to the public, all the signs and notices are in English only.

I never mentioned staff. But as you are in job centres everyday, you can tell us all, how many languages the claim forms are now produced in.

Again you make incorrect assumptions. Who said I was on a perch 6000 miles away ?

Some centres offering this English test have been guilty of fraud, resulting in TOEIC being removed from the UKVI list of approved test providers.

Try a bit of research, this is just the tip of the iceberg.

But that scandal has nothing to do with the subject of this topic; which is EU migration.

All these scandals are interlinked. You just haven't identified the dots yet.

7by7 said: I did not say that no immigrants from the EU or outside the EU claim benefits in the UK!

Whether they are entitled to the full range of Benefits, whether they are from inside or outside the EU is immaterial.

The fact of the matter is, they receive benefits having paid nothing into the system. While there are UK Citizens that have paid into the system and are refused benefits, the system is seriously flawed. While 1 penny is handed over to anyone that has not paid in, and others who have paid in are refused, that system is wrong.

Do you include British people in you last bit?

As said, EU migrants do not automatically receive benefits; even if they have paid tax and NICs. Non EU migrants have even less ability to claim benefits; even if they have paid tax and NICs

7by7 said; I deliver internal mail to Job Centres every day in my job. The staff there speak English to the public, all the signs and notices are in English only.

I never mentioned staff. But as you are in job centres everyday, you can tell us all, how many languages the claim forms are now produced in.

What is it about "all the signs and notices are in English only" that you don't understand? Although I don't visit ones in Wales, where I understand they are in Welsh as well.

JSA is claimed online; it's in English only; although I understand there is a Welsh language helpline.

Again you make incorrect assumptions. Who said I was on a perch 6000 miles away ?

Did you not say earlier that you live in Thailand? Are you now saying that you do not?

7by7 said: Some centres offering this English test have been guilty of fraud, resulting in TOEIC being removed from the UKVI list of approved test providers.

All these scandals are interlinked. You just haven't identified the dots yet.

What scandal about the habitual residence test?

What are you talking about?

If there is a scandal to do with the habitual residence test, please share it.

Even if one exists; nothing to do with language schools fiddling the results of their candidates.

Edited by 7by7

Do you include British people in you last bit?

As said, EU migrants do not automatically receive benefits; even if they have paid tax and NICs. Non EU migrants have even less ability to claim benefits; even if they have paid tax and NICs

Yes I do actually. The only exceptions to that would be to widows who's husbands had contributed to the system.

What is it about "all the signs and notices are in English only" that you don't understand? Although I don't visit ones in Wales, where I understand they are in Welsh as well.

I never mentioned signs or the internet, I referred specifically to the leaflets and documentation available in jobcentres that are published in various languages. Or are you trying to tell me that would be a figment of my imagination ?

Did you not say earlier that you live in Thailand? Are you now saying that you do not?

Yes, I did say that I live in Thailand. I currently live there on an extension by reason of retirement. That does not stop me working elsewhere.

What scandal about the habitual residence test?

What are you talking about?

If there is a scandal to do with the habitual residence test, please share it.

Even if one exists; nothing to do with language schools fiddling the results of their candidates.

The whole system is riddled with abuse and scams. I appreciate that you wont be able to work that out. Its difficult to see faults when you believe that you live in wonderland.

Take off the rose tinted specs and try to be a realist, not an idealist.

But in many cases, British people take on the job for a few months to prevent this and then leave.

This is certainly the case with the company I work for. Most Brits don't stay very long; Poles and other EU nationals do.

I wouldn't expect you to name the company, but can I ask what field of work are you working in?

Also, are these employees hired directly on a good wage and not through middle men agencies?

We are a courier company with contracts to deliver internal mail and stationary to, among other clients, the DWP.

We work a split shift, covering two rounds; one early morning and the other late afternoon, evening. Sometimes we have to do a third round in the evening to cover people who are on holiday, off sick or left and yet to be replaced.

Each route is supposed to take 4 hours. Some days, most of us can get round in less than that; but, as our routes are around S.W. London, the southern section of the M25 and the M4 corridor, traffic conditions can often mean it takes longer.

We also have to load our deliveries and unload and sort our collections ourselves, this is supposed to be done within the 4 hours allowed for the route; but is often not feasible.

We are employed directly by the company on PAYE contracts and are paid 4 hours per route, regardless of how long it actually takes to load, do the route, unload and sort the collections.

The pay is about average for the industry; more than I'd get working in a supermarket, but less than I'd get as a HGV driver for the same company.

It's certainly more than I'd get on the dole.

As I said, Poles and other East Europeans tend to stay longer than Brits; some of whom, like me, are there until we can find something better; but most of whom, unlike me, are only there long enough to keep the Job Centre off their backs.

JPB, your last post contains nothing new, just repetitive waffle; other than your desire to not allow state benefits to, among others, people whose disability means they are unable to work and always have been!

Next time you are in the UK, whenever that is, pop into a Job Centre and check on what languages the leaflets are printed in.

I'll give you a clue; there aren't any leaflets! People making enquiries are given the web address of the appropriate part of YouGov, and those government pages are in English.

As are all the online claim forms.

A bit of advice for you: before attempting to pass comment on factual matters; acquaint yourself with the actual facts. You'll be less likely to make a fool of yourself that way.

BTW, everyone in the UK pays some tax; ever heard of VAT and excise duty?

The only way to never pay any tax at all is to only ever buy those few items which are zero rated; most, not all, food and children's clothes.

P.S. As you are so adamant that the habitual residence test for EU migrants is riddled with abuse and scams , perhaps you will be able to produce some form of evidence, maybe a few examples?

Or is it that, yet again, you have no idea what you're talking about?

I await your evidence with interest and see no point in responding to yet more of your repetitive rubbish until you produce said evidence.

Edited by 7by7

I await your evidence with interest and see no point in responding to yet more of your repetitive rubbish until you produce said evidence.

Are you a complete idiot ?

Latest estimates suggest that £140m a year is spent on translation by the UK public sector as a whole.

140 Million a year !!!

Conservative deputy leader of the county council Patricia Bradwell says the authority has done all it can to reduce the cost of translation, but it has a legal duty to ensure that some documents are accessible in different languages.

That is documentation across all Government Services.

Think this comment nails it.

This is just the tip of the iceberg, if you take account of Police NHS immigration services and the cost to education the bill must be much higher. It may be our legal duty to provide documentation but translation to all languages! no other EU country goes this far.

A multi cultural society maybe? But, multi lingual at what expense.

Perhaps this is an area where GOV cuts are needed.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-25933699

You really need to take those rose tinted specs off.

Latest estimates suggest that £140m a year is spent on translation by the UK public sector as a whole.

140 million represent 0.05% of last year's welfare budget...

Edited by sustento

140 million represent 0.05% of last year's welfare budget...

What does 0.05% matter ?

It should be 0.00%.

JPB, you talk about translating leaflets in Job Centres and then produce a link about translations by local authorities and the courts!

Not the same, is it.

Plus, the vast majority of that cost goes into translating documents into non EU languages, and this is a topic about the EU.

The amount of money spent on translations is one of the reasons why I am very much in favour of the language requirements for non EU immigrants introduced by the last labour government and made stricter and harder by this current one.

The part of my post which you actually quoted, namely "I await your evidence with interest and see no point in responding to yet more of your repetitive rubbish until you produce said evidence." does not refer to the cost of translations; but to your claim that the habitual residence test for EU migrants is riddled with abuse and scams.

Where is your evidence to back that up?

You really do seem to have problems with English; maybe it's you who needs a translator!

Freedom of info request from the DWP.

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/122405/response/302485/attach/html/3/2783%20reply%20090812.pdf.html

The DWP provides a range of Language Translation services for customers across Great Britain
(as Northern Ireland is excluded). These services are available to be accessed by the
Departments 100,000 staff across approximately 900 office locations namely:

1. Face to Face.
2. Telephone.
3. Translating of foreign language documents into English which are sent by customers to DWP.
4. Translation of letters and other documents from English to customers in a range of Ethnic
languages, Audio and Braille, as well as all publications for Welsh speaking customers living in
Wales.

Of course, in the wonderland that you think you live in. There are no scams. Try educating yourself.

That is not a scam, it is a service provided by the DWP when requested.

Neither is it the wholesale printing of leaflets in foreign languages which you claimed.

It also covers services for British people; e.g. Braille, audio services and Welsh.

Still awaiting evidence from you of your claimed scams and fiddles of the habitual residence test for EU migrants.