Sinsod or Dowry.. why the big deal ?

fish fingers

Check out the meaning of dowry on Wikipedia. It is a payment given by the bride's family to the groom for the use of the married couple. Bride price, on the other hand, is a a payment by the groom to the bride's family for the privilege of marrying her. Wikipedia has an interesting discussion of the influence of the type of the society on the use of one or the other. I suspect that an attempt is being made by using the term "dowry" to obfuscate the fact that is really a bride price. As many posters have pointed out, you can simply refuse to pay the bride price. Conversely, in regions where the paying of a dowry is the custom, the wife's parents can offer a small or no dowry. They they then might not be able to marry off their daughter to the sort of man that they would prefer.

It's just a scam perpetuated on the unwary. Been married twice here, never been asked to pay money.

Does your wife sending money to her parents? If so, that is another form of sin sort you pay.
Is that because you have a farang husband funding your kids and family?.

If not why assume others are?.

Hello, did you read what I said? I assumed nothing. Are you married to a hiso girl/man or something? She/he does not need to send money home? How lucky.

Lets not kidding ourself, most Thai women who are married to the western man or have a western boyfriend normal send money to their parents. If they have kids, they should support the kids. Some parents don't ask for sin sort but ask for support later on, so that is another form of sin sort.

I don't have kid so no funding for that. Supporting my family? Hardly. But, I used to hate it when I had to tell him I am sending money to my parents. Thank god, I am no longer in that relationship and no longer feeling that way. I work and pay my own bills so if I want to give my parents my money, I can.

Edited by Somsrisonphimai
  • Like 2

F the sin sot , it's out of date old fashion a waste of my hard earned money, which I could be using for the future . Why Thais think that money grows on trees in western country's is beyond me...
It is not out of date. It may be strange for you, but you can't expect that Thais adapt to your style. Who are you?

Fatfather[/

F the sin sot , it's out of date old fashion a waste of my hard earned money, which I could be using for the future . Why Thais think that money grows on trees in western country's is beyond me...
It is not out of date. It may be strange for you, but you can't expect that Thais adapt to your style. Who are you?

Fatfather

Im a guy who is set to be Married spending a lot of time with her and her family , they respect my beliefs as well and know that I will look after them and her , I've helped pay medical bills a few times for her mum and done a lot for the young nephews even thou I'm not married to her yet , I've proved my worth to that family and I don't need to do that .

And why can't you expect them to adapt, what about my family's beliefs back home , is that not important or is it all one sided , my choice and my mrs choice , up to you what you do or believe

Because you are not at home

Fatfather

It's just a scam perpetuated on the unwary. Been married twice here, never been asked to pay money.

Does your wife sending money to her parents? If so, that is another form of sin sort you pay.

If my wife sends money to her family, it comes from the money she earns, not me. Why would I pay her family?

1. It is a Thais culture. (Normal for Thais)

2. It will show your stable life.(your back ground)

3. It can be guarantee for your future wife's family.(make sure you can look after their daughter)

4. It shows how much value of your future wife.(her basic life and job)

5. For the face if your future wife's family rich. (social life)

:-)

Time will show the stable life, money shows nothing, hey I robbed a bank I got money, their daughter should look after herself and learn to be independent instead of relying on a man.

Face...............laughable!

3. It can be guarantee for your future wife's family.(make sure you can look after their daughter)

its also english culture for the father of the bride to pay for the weding,

but i suppose we are in thailand, we should go with there culture, is that what you are saying,,?

there was no way on this earth was i going to buy a wife,

my wife agreed with me,,

i said to her, darling its my job to take care of you and i will to the best of my ability,, and i have done for the last 8 years,

we have a great life together, a daughter, nice house, not flash just what we need,

we are happy and my wifes perents are happy that she is happy,

Which is all WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYY more important than anything else........

Nobody thought money grows on the tree. How can thai guys get married then?

Most of my Thai friends married Thai guys got minimum 1million baht sin-sod excluded gold and etc.

I dont understand why some farang agaisnt to pay SinSod if they want to marry thai woman and this is a thai culture.

;-)

you must have been so disappointed.

If my wife sends money to her family, it comes from the money she earns, not me. Why would I pay her family?

So her money is her money and your money is her money? Good for her. You guys don't combine money? Do you pay the bills, rent, insurances, utilities, household expenses, vacations, entertainment, etc?

In my opinion, the money she earned is the money for your family (you and her). The money that can be used in your family. If she sends money to her parents, it is your money also.

Almost all Thai man cannot get away with shacked up with the girl without paying something to the girl's parents. Please go ask your Thai wife/girlfriend if you were to be a Thai man, would her parents allow her to playhouse with you and not pay anything.

Just because you are a western man, does not mean you don't have to follow the norm. As I said, some parents don't ask for sin sort up front because they know that their daughter will send them money or help them later on when they need help.

Do these "so called" parents ever think to "save" money through their lives? or is their savings bank their kids? hmmmmmmmmmm nice thought

So her money is her money and your money is her money? Good for her. You guys don't combine money? Do you pay the bills, rent, insurances, utilities, household expenses, vacations, entertainment, etc?

In my opinion, the money she earned is the money for your family (you and her). The money that can be used in your family. If she sends money to her parents, it is your money also.

Almost all Thai man cannot get away with shacked up with the girl without paying something to the girl's parents. Please go ask your Thai wife/girlfriend if you were to be a Thai man, would her parents allow her to playhouse with you and not pay anything.

Just because you are a western man, does not mean you don't have to follow the norm. As I said, some parents don't ask for sin sort up front because they know that their daughter will send them money or help them later on when they need help.

Do these "so called" parents ever think to "save" money through their lives? or is their savings bank their kids? hmmmmmmmmmm nice thought

Not everyone is so lucky and able as you. How can parents who have 10 rais of farm land with 5 kids save money for retirement, really how? They don't have the government to take care of them like some people in the western countries so they rely on their kids.

• Like 2

Not everyone is so lucky and able as you. How can parents who have 10 rais of farm land with 5 kids save money for retirement, really how? They don't have the government to take care of them like some people in the western countries so they rely on their kids.

500bht/month pension from the government + 10 rai of land is enough for most villagers.

Probably more than a UK pensioner has.

My answer is... If i were cheating on my husband I will pay husband double of SinSod for divorce because the guy who can made me cheat on my husband will have to be 10times better than him.

PS. I will go with my new husband and give him cash infront of everyone. And say"Tip 4millions baht for you"

Thank you very much. You have proven once again why I would never marry a woman of any nationality.

Is this why you have the word "cheater" in your username?

What it takes to get a woman away from her husband is simply to have a lot more money. Nice.

Who dont want money? My answer is maybe animal.

"Cheater" on my username? You will never knew what this mean because of your usernane...Nerver sure

• Like 1

Time will show the stable life, money shows nothing, hey I robbed a bank I got money, their daughter should look after herself and learn to be independent instead of relying on a man.

Face...............laughable!

Bank robbery? You watched too much cartoon? This is real life.

Nobody thought money grows on the tree. How can thai guys get married then?

Most of my Thai friends married Thai guys got minimum 1million baht sin-sod excluded gold and etc.

I dont understand why some farang agaisnt to pay SinSod if they want to marry thai woman and this is a thai culture.

;-)

you must have been so disappointed.

No I never dissapointed but just feel sorry for the Thais girl who meet some guys like you.

I am lucky the guy I have met super smart and super cool.

• Like 2

Otocheater, I assume you are Thai?

My first Thai wife received a sinsot of about 2 million baht. She then cheated on me with a Thai man and I divorced her.

In your view, should she repay the sinsot to me? And if not, why not?

Just for the record, I was a good husband and never cheated on her.

Yes I am Thai,

You can sue her under Thai law for cheating. Its a morality law. And you also can sue the guy who bang your wife too.

The money you will get from them the court will see from your back ground, based on your life and the face on social life. If you are HiSo you can sue them more than you gave to your wife.

" The money you will get from them " ....... cheesy.gif dream on ....

• Like 1

Otocheater, I assume you are Thai?

My first Thai wife received a sinsot of about 2 million baht. She then cheated on me with a Thai man and I divorced her.

In your view, should she repay the sinsot to me? And if not, why not?

Just for the record, I was a good husband and never cheated on her.

Yes I am Thai,

You can sue her under Thai law for cheating. Its a morality law. And you also can sue the guy who bang your wife too.

The money you will get from them the court will see from your back ground, based on your life and the face on social life. If you are HiSo you can sue them more than you gave to your wife.

" The money you will get from them " ....... cheesy.gif dream on ....

So did you tried? Did you hire lawyer or just Ma-No?

• Like 1

Because they're your in-laws and you love them?

its also english culture for the father of the bride to pay for the weding,

but i suppose we are in thailand, we should go with there culture, is that what you are saying,,?

there was no way on this earth was i going to buy a wife,

my wife agreed with me,,

i said to her, darling its my job to take care of you and i will to the best of my ability,, and i have done for the last 8 years,

we have a great life together, a daughter, nice house, not flash just what we need,

we are happy and my wifes perents are happy that she is happy,

Hahaha...3words [ya-ma-no]

If you feel entitled to laugh at foreign cultures, as you do here, can you have any argument with people who don't respect the sinsot aspect of Thai culture?

For every foreigner that marries a Thai, there's a Thai marrying a foreigner. If the foreigner should respect Thai culture, the Thai should respect the foreign culture, from whichever country it originates. Therefore a compromise might be necessary.

Can't speak from experience on the paying of sinsot since my wife had been widowed, with 2 small sons, 20 years before we married and was therefore not interested in it.

I paid sin sod and its bullshit but im over it. Money back from the envelopes was mostly given to the people that helped cook the food. I have photos of when the sin sod was taken out and u see all the women especially the older ones standing on there tippy toes and using there fingers to count the notes. Its only those turds that the family are trying to impress. The bitches that talk to much.

Beads and baubles.

Nothing more than a dog and pony show to impress uneducated upcountry hillbillies, the only thing many understand is yellow pieces of paper and yellow bits of metal.

Edited by rgs2001uk

Who dont want money? My answer is maybe animal.

I appreciate your previous reply to my question about repaying sinsot. In my case, there was little point to pursue the money through the Courts because I would (maybe) win an unenforceable judgement. You cannot get blood something out of a stone...

But now to your comment "Who don't want money? My answer is maybe animal", which I cannot ignore.

Does a monk want money?

Will money make you happy?

Those who claim that everyone wants money are typically the people who have never been rich.

IMHO, the desire for money is often motivated by selfish greed and the desire to impress (big face syndrome).

Is this what they call "Thainess"?

very simple answer:

Monks in thailand need money. Everyone in Thailand known.

Money not just made me happy but can make the people who I wanna help happy too.

Rich people even need more and more money. But they just pretend they had enaugh.

About Thais people we had different class cant compare, not all good,not all bad.

Next questions?