Vocational education deal signed with Germany

Lite Beer

I was clearly waiting for that kind of comment. Just - as of love for Thailand - wanted to redirect any upcoming Thai bashing in this thread. So get ready folks. Bash the German :-)

When I, a German also, was correcting the writing of an English teacher lately, who offered so called "Cambridge Teaching Courses", I was called a Grammar-Nazi. See, you are not alone.

You guys (the Germans that is) shouldn't worry or get too upset about such things. Terrible as that there war was - the post war generation of Germans built a country, and almost a continent, that is the envy of the World. It's a pity that the rest of World still seems to have a long way to go before they learn the lesson that tanks and bombs are not a requirement of power, conquest, political might and economic security.

Germany has many good points - I have lived and worked there on more than once occasion. But 'the envy of the world" is stretching things. Germany took measures to protect its manufacturing industries more than other Western countries. That included keeping the educational systems to produce competent trained workers with the right skills that were required. Britain allowed its equivalent apprenticeship and technical college system decline, along with its manufacturing industries as a comparison. The works council and local authority involvement in German businesses facilitated this with decisions based on wider stakeholder benefits rather than bottom lines alone.

There are some very good people involved in this project - German and Thai. It's being handled carefully and should help develop the growth of a work pool with skills appropriate to the industries that want to establish manufacturing facilities here, including all supports, such as logistics.

In my experience, the German system is very good at producing workers for the activities associated with production. However, there is a tremendous need for white collar professionals and that area needs addressing too (an area Germany is not so strong in).

An increase in the numbers of skilled workers, with associated increases in earnings, must be good for Thailand.

Edited by Baerboxer
  • Like 2

What like the Thai-Austrian Technical College, which has not had anything much to do

with Austria besides the seed funding and some photo ops

from 30+ years ago?

I'm a quite sick of western governments handing out taxpayer money to greedy developing nation burocrates

all in the name of being "good global citizens", when in reality the host countries just laugh at their stupidity naivety.

Do they actually think throwing money around will get results as apposed to the reality: the corruption of that money?

It never ceases to amaze me, how block-headed so many "educated" westerners can be, re: the reality of the LOS. Thailand does not NEED foreign investment capital, to sustain a stable economy. There are no starving people in LOS. The people of Isaan may be "Baht poor", but they are "Land rich".

Any Thai "Marketing Emissary" promoting, and panhandling (to western investment groups) the plight of Thailand, as being a Third World, developing nation, is nothing more than a constituent member, from a long string of free-loading, incorporated grifters.

I am not Thai bashing! The topic focus is about Thailand (exclusively), and not compared to any other national culture, nor entitycoffee1.gif

What language are they learning, is everyone on the same page here, German certificate world wide , a certificate of what, just because you went to a German school doesn't get you anywhere , it is the degree that only counts.coffee1.gif

BMW hq in Bangkok conducts its business and training in English.

Thailand and Germany have been working together for many years. They have been working closely with King Monkhut Technical University, North Bangkok and there is the Thai-German Institute just north of Chonburi.

You're right.

Only thing is.........at the moment there is no German involvement in TGI anymore apart from possible exchanges of students.

All Germans have left TGI and see...........now there is another money-pit created, waiting to be plundered.

I was clearly waiting for that kind of comment. Just - as of love for Thailand - wanted to redirect any upcoming Thai bashing in this thread. So get ready folks. Bash the German :-)

When I, a German also, was correcting the writing of an English teacher lately, who offered so called "Cambridge Teaching Courses", I was called a Grammar-Nazi. See, you are not alone.

You guys (the Germans that is) shouldn't worry or get too upset about such things. Terrible as that there war was - the post war generation of Germans built a country, and almost a continent, that is the envy of the World. It's a pity that the rest of World still seems to have a long way to go before they learn the lesson that tanks and bombs are not a requirement of power, conquest, political might and economic security.

Germany has many good points - I have lived and worked there on more than once occasion. But 'the envy of the world" is stretching things. Germany took measures to protect its manufacturing industries more than other Western countries. That included keeping the educational systems to produce competent trained workers with the right skills that were required. Britain allowed its equivalent apprenticeship and technical college system decline, along with its manufacturing industries as a comparison. The works council and local authority involvement in German businesses facilitated this with decisions based on wider stakeholder benefits rather than bottom lines alone.

There are some very good people involved in this project - German and Thai. It's being handled carefully and should help develop the growth of a work pool with skills appropriate to the industries that want to establish manufacturing facilities here, including all supports, such as logistics.

In my experience, the German system is very good at producing workers for the activities associated with production. However, there is a tremendous need for white collar professionals and that area needs addressing too (an area Germany is not so strong in).

An increase in the numbers of skilled workers, with associated increases in earnings, must be good for Thailand.

I agree. However, since Thai "protectionist" law stipulates a 51% Thai ownership, of any foreign initiated enterprise, then 51% of the R&D funding, should also come from Thai investment sources, as well.

Wouldn't you agree to that, as being a more-than fair legal stipulation, as well, in view of the facts that:

Documented history speaks volumes, re: foreign investors contributing 100% of the funding capital, while a contingency of LOS "free-loaders" enjoy 51% of the "controlling" interests, and the bottom line profits.

Personally, I'd prefer to err on the side of caution, in alignment with the Japanese point of view wai2.gif

What language are they learning, is everyone on the same page here, German certificate world wide , a certificate of what, just because you went to a German school doesn't get you anywhere , it is the degree that only counts.coffee1.gif

BMW hq in Bangkok conducts its business and training in English.

The degree credential mania, as being the main wedge for getting the job interview, is rapidly beginning to wane. Granted, the degree is definitely a plus, but experience has proven that, of one million degree holders (including MBA levels), only a small percentage (maybe 10%) of those graduates, can actually produce a "tangible" product.

A 3.5-4.0 GPA are just "talking" figures on a transcript, and not a barometer for determining the "personal productivity" achievement levels of individuals. Thus, the waning of the degree holding "honeymoon".

Even the PRC is beginning to get that drift, and the Chinese are usually quite face-savingly rigid, and conservative, when admitting to making errors_in judgement.

The trade school "apprenticeship" days are returning, if SE Asians (Singapore & Vietnam excluded) intend to compete against the Japanese, and the western world, in terms of achieved product & service quality levels.wai2.gif

Edited by NativeSon360

it gets old.

Huh? What is old about possessing an income-producing, mechanical Trade skill? I'd be very interested in reading your very "sensible" answer to that questioncoffee1.gif

I was referring to the never-ending Nazi comparison.