Easy-peasy, long-term and 'safe' investment fund

At least you'll avoid the pensionable age hike, which will kick in in the 2030s. I won't.

It starts in 2020 - I don't get my state pension until I'm 66 then goes to 67 in 2026/28 finally 68 in the 2030s but I expect it to go up to 70 before then.

15 years? Follow Neil Woodford ( CF Woodford Equity Income Fund).

Purchase the accumulation fund as the income is re-invested. Past performance is no guarantee but this guy is highly thought of in the investment community. A steady pair of hands.

In this kind of situation I reckon a fellow's first investment should be made through Amazon.

The following is a bit depressing, and hardly rocket science. But it is a reasonable overview of the retail investors options and the standard approach recommended by academia:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Investors-Manifesto-Prosperity-Armageddon/dp/1118073762

You indicate that you intend to invest up to $500,000 over the next decade and a half. And that putting food on the table in your golden years may well depend on not ****ing it up. So you're going to spend at least a week holed up in the mancave reading a few investment and a few financial history books, right? Right?!? Although, maybe a week is a little too little...

I don't mean to have a go at you, and I know the comments above presume a lot. I'm really speaking generally of course, not about you personally. It strikes me as tragic how self-defeatingly lazy folks sometimes are when it comes to this sort of matter.

Good luck!

Seeing as the OP lives and works in Thailand, start here.

http://www.aberdeen-asset.co.uk/aam.nsf/Thailand/Home

Do your own homework, there are certain ones I wouldnt touch.

Are LTFs still available?

Forget RTFs.

You could also consider UOB (formerly ING).

Yes I'd agree that's a good place to start if looking to add equity/share based investments. Given OP's profile equity mutual funds are something to consider, as they would help diversify him away from the single asset class most of his money is in. Disciplined buying a few thousand baht each month for long term makes sense.

Just suggestions:

1) Definitely look into LTFs - Thai equity funds with tax benefit relief, Always nice to get tax relief, so if looking at LTFs take a look at:

Aberdeen LTF, UOB Thai Good Governance LTF - if don't particularly want dividends

Krungsri Dividend LTF, UOB Big Cap Dividend LIF - if he wants dividends regularly. There's a slight tax disadvantage on taking dividends but it's nice and hassle free

2) Given OP's profile he may want to consider Retirement Mutual Funds (RMF). For young expats I'd say they are inflexible as you need to wait until 55 to access the funds. For an older expat they may be more suitable. OP is obviously committed to Thailand given the assets already bought, and for someone say 40+ who can wait 15 years there's an interesting range. I hold some RMFS: Thai equities, international equities, bonds and gold so a nice little diversification. The key reason is I get tax relief. So an investment in gold could cost as low as 65 baht on every 100 depending on OPS tax rate. Even if only 10% relief its worth it

3) and as above Aberdeen have a good range of other equity funds to diversify - just avoid their American one.

All the 3 above could be bought from a bank. 1) and 2) have the advantage you get tax relief in return for tying money away longer term

4) Perhaps have a look at Singapore REITs, as post #439 here. Would need to be bought thru a broker. So not necessarily easy-peasy. For OP might be a decent entry into a slightly different field, given he understands hospitality for example, but not necessarily shares, it wouldn't be a complete jump in a totally different direction. Much more preferable to buying another physical property in Thailand which may be illiquid given he already has a lot of that

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/640408-set-index-and-thai-mutual-funds/page-18#entry8751397

Cheers

Fletch :)