Can i report a cheating taxi driver for overcharging me?

ultimate weapon

OPs mistake was to agree with the fare. Even though it is illegal for the taxi to even propose this, you lose your right to complain if you go with it.

However I strongly disagree that drivers doing this kind of thing are somehow OK because it's just 40 or 50 bahts overcharge. This kind of thinking is just enabling scam practices.

The Department of Land and Transportation is doing nothing about this kind of thing: have you ever tried reporting to the number provided? You always end up on an answering machine asking you to leave a message. Nothing ever goes out of it. I suspect only 1 person is in charge of this, just to make sure the voicemails are emptied from time to time.

And then the same department goes after services like Uber because they 'are not safe' and they 'overcharge'? What a joke.

Don't accept taxi scammy practices. It might be loose change for you but for many thais its a whole meal. If every farang starts accepting overcharge, that will become standard practice and locals will have to pay up too if they don't want to try 10 times before a taxi accepts to take them.

have you ever tried reporting to the number provided? You always end up on an answering machine asking you to leave a message. Nothing ever goes out of it.

I've used it 3 or 4 times, spoke to a human, and in all cases, I received confirmation weeks or months later that the complaint had been dealt with and the offender fined 500b.

I do not think putting the meter on stops scams much, the reason I say this I once got a taxi in Bkk to the airport, I remember looking at the meter and it was going up at an abnormal rate, I think he had some kind of setting on the meter to bump it up, anyway a trip from don muang to swampy cost me 520Bhat!

I did not complain as I could not be bothered with the hassle, but it shows you can still get scammed even with the meter running!

For 100 baht..you got to be kidding...bah.gif ..cheesy.gif

Sure, I wouldn't do it myself, but surely you can understand the idea that it's not the amount, it's the principle.

How much are you willing to let people rip you off before you do something..? Obviously not 100 baht. But 500 baht..? 1000 baht..? 10000 baht..?

Sure, I wouldn't do it myself, but surely you can understand the idea that it's not the amount, it's the principle.

How much are you willing to let people rip you off before you do something..? Obviously not 100 baht. But 500 baht..? 1000 baht..? 10000 baht..?

Given that the topic is about taxis, and not being ripped off in general, if you don't check the price or insist the meter will be turned on BEFORE getting in, you have no case to protest if you do get overcharged.

Just learn the lesson and don't do it again

Given that the topic is about taxis, and not being ripped off in general, if you don't check the price or insist the meter will be turned on BEFORE getting in, you have no case to protest if you do get overcharged.

Just learn the lesson and don't do it again

Yeah, you're probably right there, not agreeing a price or the meter being switched on is almost an agreement to leave the price up to the driver. I'd say though it's obviously a deliberate tactic of the driver, picking on someone who is clearly a tourist and doesn't quite understand how the country works, which is why I think reporting him isn't necessarily a bad idea - it's unlikely to change how the driver acts, but you never know. Maybe better than doing nothing.

Maybe.

Thanks guys. I'll try to explain the situation to the guy in english or broken thai. The reason why i accepted it was because i was already in the cab with all of my stuff. Could he have stopped the cab and demanded that i get out and thrown out my stuff? In short i was forced to accept paying him. I didn't have a freaking choice.

Ok it's done. I called 1584. Everything was in thai. I dialled 1. I told the person i couldn't speak thai and could spoke only in english. I read all the information from the picture i took the driver's name and last name and that number listed on his tag. 1070**. Told the person the amount and everything and all the time she said ka ka ka.

I called her using my thai cell phone number so my number is probably logged in. Told her my name and she said thank you and hung up.

Well i did it. Don't know what's going to happen next. I don't think they actually understand english so i didn't actually make any enquiries.

• Like 1

I do not think putting the meter on stops scams much, the reason I say this I once got a taxi in Bkk to the airport, I remember looking at the meter and it was going up at an abnormal rate, I think he had some kind of setting on the meter to bump it up, anyway a trip from don muang to swampy cost me 520Bhat!

I did not complain as I could not be bothered with the hassle, but it shows you can still get scammed even with the meter running!

With the 50 baht airport charge and tolls, 520 baht is about right. I wouldn't expect any change from 520 baht, seriously, and I've done that run dozens of times.

Thanks guys. I'll try to explain the situation to the guy in english or broken thai. The reason why i accepted it was because i was already in the cab with all of my stuff. Could he have stopped the cab and demanded that i get out and thrown out my stuff? In short i was forced to accept paying him. I didn't have a freaking choice.

You did have a choice but you were too lazy to get out.

• Like 1

You did have a choice but you were too lazy to get out.

Or he couldn't figure out how to open the door

With the 50 baht airport charge and tolls, 520 baht is about right. I wouldn't expect any change from 520 baht, seriously, and I've done that run dozens of times.

He was going TO the airport and the METER read 520. That is too much. The meter should be around 300 and no need to use the toll road. I did it a month ago for that price from near Asoke.

That's right. Once you got in the cab without checking first, you lost any advantage you have if asking before getting in. Just accept the lesson and learn from it.

As an aside, I met some English friends in Bkk and explained the whole taxi situation. The guy ignored me and ended up paying a thousand baht for a trip to the Grand Palace, so you didn't end up too badly off anyway.

I hate BKK Taxi's. Last year In Jan when there was lots of trouble around with election tried to get a Taxi to Victory Monument for the Mini Bus to Hua Hin. Taxi man says no go there big trouble I take you for 2,500 baht. Thought about it and decided to go. Half way there he pulled in for fuel he said you pay now I need money for fuel I said ok 2,500 he said no it's 3,500 I said no 2,500 he got quite aggressive and demanded 3,500. Half way to HH and stuck in the middle of nowhere decided to pay. Bit further on we were moved off the highway for a nice detour through the countryside as the main road closed so I got a bit of my money's worth. Got to HH and got my case he said what no tip, I said bugger off mate you've already had it.

Taxi driver refused me the meter when going back to the airport. Told me 400 bht i managed to bargain it down to 350 bht.

You cannot blame the passenger. At the airport they cannot do that anymore. They have to go into a queue. All their details will be printed and given to the customer when he queues up. That's why all customers are given a piece of paper when it's their turn at the front so that they can complain if the driver tries something funny.

They can do this when you're leaving for the airport. Hotel calls for the taxi. Taxi comes to pick you up. Now if you're leaving for the airport you have all your luggage with you. Luggage all loaded up. They start to drive. Once they reach hotel exit they quote you a price while the taxi is moving and won't turn on the meter. What do you do? Refuse and remove all your luggage while the taxi has probably left the hotel? Sometimes the passenger is trapped like this.

Same thing happened to me. Wanted a taxi from Suk hotel to airport. Outside there was a couple of guys hailing taxis. Got one and said 400 baht, I said ok. The taxi driver gave the man that hailed some money. We set off taxi driver said 500 baht Ok and set off. I said no 400 go back please. He said I've already given the other guy money, I said go back so he reversed back. Next taxi came said 400 baht, I said ok. Off we went for 400 baht. Got to airport and I gave him the other 100 in a tip. It's not the money it's just the way they keep trying to cheat you.

I hate 'em. Even with the ticket from the airport many still say meter no work but they know you're tired out and just want to get to your hotel so not going to create a fuss.

YES, YES you can and should report him. I am not a lawyer,but have read a few pages of a United States Supreme Court decision and might be able to give you advice. I charge 14k an hour.

Have you slept outside your embassy yet?

YES you should report.

Do not listen to any of these people giving you a hard time about the price. 100 baht is a lot of money in Bangkok for a trip down the street, that is about twice what the price should be. People who allow these scumbags to charge foreigners double the price and laugh about it because it is not a lot of money in their home country just make things worse for all of us.

Furthermore, with all your luggage in the car, there was an implicit threat that he could drive off with your luggage if you got out and disagreed about no meter. He used intimidation to threaten a customer in to compliance. Not using a meter is against the law, it should not be tolerated. Report this scumbag.

• Like 1

Same thing happened to me. Wanted a taxi from Suk hotel to airport. Outside there was a couple of guys hailing taxis. Got one and said 400 baht, I said ok. The taxi driver gave the man that hailed some money. We set off taxi driver said 500 baht Ok and set off. I said no 400 go back please. He said I've already given the other guy money, I said go back so he reversed back. Next taxi came said 400 baht, I said ok. Off we went for 400 baht. Got to airport and I gave him the other 100 in a tip. It's not the money it's just the way they keep trying to cheat you.

I hate 'em. Even with the ticket from the airport many still say meter no work but they know you're tired out and just want to get to your hotel so not going to create a fuss.

Why dont you just stop a taxi yourself and ask them to turn on the meter? I would never enter a taxi if they do not agree on the meter. If the hotel you stayed at do not understand that , find another hotel next time.

It should be no more than 250 baht with the meter, and why did you tip another 100 ? Tipping is uncommon in Thailand.

I agree with other posters, 100 baht?? My god man.... You are in the wrong country if you deem 100 baht as a hefty fare.

because of people like you, this cheating and rip-off does actually exist and they get away with it.

It actually does not matter if it is just 5 Baht or 100.000 - they expect us foreigners to stick to the rules, otherwise we will be kicked out faster than you can say "Sawatdee Krub".

so they should stick to their own rules and law too, right ?

Why dont you just stop a taxi yourself and ask them to turn on the meter? I would never enter a taxi if they do not agree on the meter. If the hotel you stayed at do not understand that , find another hotel next time.

It should be no more than 250 baht with the meter, and why did you tip another 100 ? Tipping is uncommon in Thailand.

Because I was outside the hotel going home with cases etc. and just wanted a taxi but that blatant in the face robbery I took exception to. I'm on holiday and I tip everyone restaurant and bar staff, hotel chambermaids even reasonably honest taxi drivers. The reason I gave him the 100 was because I just thought at least he didn't try what the other guy did so he can benefit. I'm spending my last bit of Thai baht, don't need it at home.

there is an airport link now to bkk and you can take bts and catch the ai bus to dmk. its all very easy.

if you must use a taxi its always a short trip to the nearest bts/mrt. you should not be taking airport trips with these scumbags at all.

why ruin your day or start your trip with an argument when you dont have to?

what i like doing is waving my hand and having them stop and watching the monkey twisting his head around as i keep walking.

Edited by fey

I use public transport when in BKK but it's hard going with a case using the BTS. All those stairs and I tried walking down Suk Soi 11 with a case

most of the time you have to go on the road and when you get to BTS station 60 stairs to climb and I think there's even more at Victory Monument BTS. Taxi to Victory monument or airport is so much easier even though you have the hassle with the drivers.

He asked you for 100 baht and you paid him, he robbed you for sure but you paid him. You had the option of getting out of the taxi, you stayed in and he robbed you, probably charged you over twice the fare for a few streets away. I would not bother reporting him for 100 baht,just learn a lesson.