How to Tell Your Wife to Shut The F-word up?

kurtramsbottom

อีร่านควรหุบปากก่อนกูตบหน้ามึง should suffice in a pinch. may be a bit heavy handed so might want to use this

หุบปาก literally: shut mouth. pretty much the Thai equiv of "shut up"

Should just stick with that as adding heavier language will probably enrage your partner.

btw หุบปาก is said like this "hoop" (as in hula hoop, but make sure your town is low and cutting off at the end. p sound is unaspirated. and bpaak.. which mouth and has a bp sound at the start. hoop bpaak.

thai language says :

หุบปาก

hoopL bpaakL

http://thai-language.com/id/211037 check the link to hear the proper sounds, tones, pronunciation

• Like 1

อีร่านควรหุบปากก่อนกูตบหน้ามึง should suffice in a pinch. may be a bit heavy handed so might want to use this

Should just stick with that as adding heavier language will probably enrage your partner.

btw หุบปาก is said like this "hoop" (as in hula hoop, but make sure your town is low and cutting off at the end. p sound is unaspirated. and bpaak.. which mouth and has a bp sound at the start. hoop bpaak.

thai language says :

หุบปาก

hoopL bpaakL

http://thai-language.com/id/211037 check the link to hear the proper sounds, tones, pronunciation

I was hoping for an expletive in there but that's good ... I'll print this out & serve it with her breakfast in the morningsmile.png

It helps to start with พูดมาก (put mak / pûut mâak):

you talk to much / you are a chatterbox (you rattle my nerves).

In most cases this should be enough to send the message tongue.png

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 2

hey ปากเสีย is good but is nothing about shutting up, and doesn't have an expletive in, although I do get your point that it implies be quiet or changing tone. หุบปาก i believe is a decent middle ground that is similar to shut and can be used with varying strength according to the speaker. my first example of explicit laden words in conjunction. In reality both farangy84 and khunbbq have good, more passive suggestions that would realistically be far more useful and applicable in solving and diffusing problems rather than prolonging and turning up the heat.

Another one in the same vein as ปากเสีย and พูดมาก could be like.. อย่าพูดมาก .. literally kinda " don't talk much" or could be just อย่าพูด which is simply "don't talk", or you could slap her with a playful อย่ามั่ว which could lighten the mood perhaps.

k just got a good one that has a lot of force while being only a touch profane. you got to try this one although you may need to practice it.

มึงเงียบๆไปเลย

มึง meungM เงียบ ngiiapF เงียบ ngiiapF ไป bpaiM เลย leeuyM

this sentence takes advantage of the exciting (derogatory) 2nd person pronoun มึง .. the thing you need to seal this sentence is the word เงียบ ngiiapF which can be said once or twice for bonus emphasis.. you must master ง consonant sound or NG (as first sound of word) for it to sound great and have the desired effect. I think this is a good middle ground of really getting your point across with out just spewing profane gibberish (like my very first example)

thai language says :

หุบปาก

hoopL bpaakL

How do you translate อีร่าน ? I guess that it is a wounding way of calling a woman, like อ่ดอก.

The RID has ร่าง as another name for a hairy worm of some sort of moth which releases a poison which burns and itches.

To kurtramsbottom,

It’s really easy to say ‘หุบปาก’ (shut up) or ‘พูดมาก น่ารำคาญ’ (you talk too much, it’s just annoying.)

If you prefer expletive words for ‘shut up’, many commends already gave you the information.

But to be honest, telling someone to ‘หุบปาก’ in Thai is considered to be rude.

In my opinion, if you still want to maintain a peaceful relationship with someone, you may consider other nicer ways to say ‘shut up’ in Thai.

For example, you can say:

1. ผมขอร้องให้คุณหยุดพูด (I beg you please just stop talking.)

2. ขอโทษที่ขัดจังหวะ แต่คุณพูดมากเกินไปแล้วนะครับ (I’m sorry to interrupt your speech but you speak too much.)

3. ขอโทษนะครับ แต่ผมเหนื่อยที่จะฟังคุณพูดแล้ว (I’m sorry but I’m too tired to listen to your words.)

4. ช่วยหยุดพูดได้ไหม ผมเจ็บหูครับ (Can you please stop talking? Your words are hurting my ears.)

5. ผมไม่อยากทำร้ายความรู้สึกคุณ แต่ทนฟังคุณพูดมากไม่ไหวแล้ว (I don’t want to hurt your feeling. But I can’t stand it when you speak too much.)

6. ถ้าคุณมีอะไรต้องพูดมากขนาดนั้น เขียนลงกระดาษไหม? (If you have so much things to say, do you want to write it down?)

7. เวลาคุณพูดมากๆ รู้ไหมว่ามันทำร้ายความรู้สึกของผม (When you speak too much, do you know that it hurts my feeling?)

I hope that these examples will be useful for you and other foreigners.

J

• Like 2

Lara, if the OP is asking how to tell his wife to "shut the F up," I don't think he's concerned with politely asking her to stop talking.

I got your point. Anyway, I just put more effort to make sure that other Thai learners have alternative ways for saying 'shut up.' that's it.

:)

• Like 2

Ha, I know :) Actually, it'd be best not to say shut up. The Thai way would be more like saying something like เจ็บคอไหมครับ or เดียวผมจะไปเอาน้ำมาให้นะครับ and when asked what is the deal, the reply along the lines of ก็แคคิดว่าเธอคุยอีกไม่ไว้ถ้าไมีมีอะไรตื่มนะครับ My Thai probably isn't perfect, but I think the message is understandable.

Lara, if the OP is asking how to tell his wife to "shut the F up," I don't think he's concerned with politely asking her to stop talking.

I got your point. Anyway, I just put more effort to make sure that other Thai learners have alternative ways for saying 'shut up.' that's it.
smile.png

To farangdude84,

that's a good one. it's quite funny. lol

and i think instead of saying 'เจ็บคอไหม' which sounds like 'sore throat' , i might say something like '(พูดจน) คอแห้งหรือยังครับ กินน้ำไหม?' As you've been talking too much, are you thirsty? Do you want some water?

ps. 'กินน้ำ' just sounds more natural for spoken Thai in general use.

thai language says :

หุบปาก

hoopL bpaakL

Sorry Baa,this a English speaking website only!

To Nautilus05,

If you mean Sao-wao (เซาเว่า), it is actually an Isaan word which means 'stop talking.'

-sao v. stop

-wao v. talk, speak

My mother tongue is Isaan. Saying sao-wao can either sounds funny or serious depending on your tones and facial expressions.

These are some varieties of sao-wao:

-เซาเว่าแนะ

-เซาเว่าแนะเถาะ

-เซาเว่าจักเถื่อดู้

There's also a word for 'talking a lot' in Isaan that is 'wao-doo' (เว่าดู๋).

-doo (ดู๋) v. often

adj. diligent

thai language says :

หุบปาก

hoopL bpaakL

How do you translate อีร่าน ? I guess that it is a wounding way of calling a woman, like อ่ดอก.

The RID has ร่าง as another name for a hairy worm of some sort of moth which releases a poison which burns and itches.

Tgeezer, ร่าน pretty much is literally "slut" with อีดอก pretty much "whore"

thai language says :

หุบปาก

hoopL bpaakL

Tgeezer, ร่าน pretty much is literally "slut" with อีดอก pretty much "whore"
I think that I will leave it as just another word like อีดอก, there is not much point in matching to an English word like 'slut' especially now when women's libbers do 'slut marches'!

ขอบคุณครับ ผมเคยได้ยินว่า ปิดปาก มันเป็นวิธีการบอกให้เงียบไม่ดีเลย

ก็การใช้คำว่าเหี้ยในประโยคนี้มันไม่แบบไทยใช่ไหมครับ

ขอบคุณครับ ผมเคยได้ยินว่า ปิดปาก มันเป็นวิธีการบอกให้เงียบไม่ดีเลย

ก็การใช้คำว่าเหี้ยในประโยคนี้มันไม่แบบไทยใช่ไหมครับ

actually its prolly pretty Thai. ประทับใจมากมาย yayyyy

thai language says :

หุบปาก

hoopL bpaakL

I was hoping for an expletive in there but that's good ... I'll print this out & serve it with her breakfast in the morningsmile.png

You serve her breakfast in the morning. How nice. May we assume she gives you money every month to take care of her.

Re Thai, may I suggest Sao Wao, followed quickly by Ha Mung. Make sure you have the front door open when you say this, and step briskly out into the street.