Australia Plus will no longer be available from Intelsat 19

joncl

From ABC international for the free users of Australia Plus ,

Following our previous communication with you, we would like to remind you that from November 30, Australia Plus will no longer be available from Intelsat 19.

As you may be aware, the ABC was forced to terminate Australia Network following the Australian Government’s withdrawal of its funding. The ABC has developed a new service, Australia Plus, to fulfil its obligations to broadcast internationally however, at this point in time, this does not include a widely available television channel.

Once again, we thank you for your support of Australia Network and the ABC over the years and we hope that one day in the future we may be able to partner with you again.

Yours Sincerely,

Head Business Development

ABC International

• Like 1

Seems the Good Folk at "We TV" in Chiang Mai either never got the message or if they did, they failed to take any notice of it.

Just after Midnight Sunday Night, Australia Plus, formerly Australia Network on Channel 35, We TV Cable Service (I cringe when using the term "service" in connection with We TV) went BLANK. a little later, they started to transmit some "God Bothering" show from a Religious Group, then that went off and they put up their "Transmission Break" card on the screen.

My wife phoned We TV mid afternoon on MONDAY and was simply informed that "we are fixing the problem." When she inquired if they were aware that the programmes from Australia now come from a DIFFERENT Satellite, the response again was simply, "we are fixing the problem."

In short, We TV was living up to the company's usual High Performance Standard !

Seems the Good Folk at "We TV" in Chiang Mai either never got the message or if they did, they failed to take any notice of it.

Just after Midnight Sunday Night, Australia Plus, formerly Australia Network on Channel 35, We TV Cable Service (I cringe when using the term "service" in connection with We TV) went BLANK. a little later, they started to transmit some "God Bothering" show from a Religious Group, then that went off and they put up their "Transmission Break" card on the screen.

My wife phoned We TV mid afternoon on MONDAY and was simply informed that "we are fixing the problem." When she inquired if they were aware that the programmes from Australia now come from a DIFFERENT Satellite, the response again was simply, "we are fixing the problem."

In short, We TV was living up to the company's usual High Performance Standard !

We have suffered the same fate here in Cha Am

At least I'm not alone when I think the cable service in this country is CRAP

Same for me here in Bangkok,no longer any access to Australia Plus, I am still waiting for some answers from Truevisions otherwise I may have to try out IPTV & the XBMC M8 unit of which includes 5 different aussie channels and can be hooked up to your TV and connected via wifi to your internet.

Same for me here in Bangkok,no longer any access to Australia Plus, I am still waiting for some answers from Truevisions otherwise I may have to try out IPTV & the XBMC M8 unit of which includes 5 different aussie channels and can be hooked up to your TV and connected via wifi to your internet.

So no Australia Plus on True Visions in Bangkok eh?,,,,,,, not even on cable ?

I'm on TrueVisions cable in Bangkok...just checked at 10:00pm 2 Dec 14/a few minutes ago/before making this post and Australia Plus is still on....channel 170.

Edit: just went to the TrueVision website and Australia Plus in the channel lineup is asterisk coded saying on TrueVisions "cable" only, which I guess means it's not on TrueVisions satellite.

Edited by Pib

Sent an email enquiry to Truevisions yesterday and their reply is below:

> We regret to inform you that "Australia Plus" is not available on DSTV

> System at the moment.

> We, TrueVisions, provide the TV service based on two systems, satellite

> system (DSTV) and cable system (CATV). And we regret to inform you the

> inaccessibility of some channels is due to the limitation on satellite

> system.

> We do have plan to add equal number of channels on satellite system as it is

> on cable system. However, we have to be honest to you that it is yet unknown

> when we will be able to accomplish this process. We will make an official

> announcement when channels available on cable system can also be accessible

> on satellite system. We are also trying to expand the cable network to be

> available in many areas throughout the country in the future.

>

> We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Sorry folks.......Disregard my previous post.

I don't know what footprint map I saw last week but I just checked it again to be sure........Now I see that this latest footprint map shows thailand in the picture. .....at least 90% of the country. Unfortunately for me the Chiang Mai region looks like it's right on the border of the signal. I'm going to look into it but am suddenly a bit hopeful that I might be able to get it again on my 7 foot dish.

That sounds interesting.

At present I subscribe to ThaiexpatTV, which gives members about 12 UK channels. I get this via my wi-fi. Sadly Al Jazheera went off months ago, and now no Aussie TV.

I don't go anywhere near Murdoch's TV. (or papers)

I feel sorry for Australians, but it was useless for anyone else. I looked at it numerous times per day while looking for a news channel and never saw anything worth watching, for non-Australians, for many years.

There are some good domestic programs which I enjoyed, Landline being one of them, if you're interested in farming. Bondi Vet was also interesting, but nothing newsworthy.

The Aussie news was mostly parochial, no more so than those broadcasting 'World News', but at least it kept us in touch with home.

I have a strong feeling the country has put too much faith in the mining business, and let all the other industries trickle overseas. Now ore prices are dropping, and the country is feeling the pinch.

• Like 1

I feel sorry for Australians, but it was useless for anyone else. I looked at it numerous times per day while looking for a news channel and never saw anything worth watching, for non-Australians, for many years.

There are some good domestic programs which I enjoyed, Landline being one of them, if you're interested in farming. Bondi Vet was also interesting, but nothing newsworthy.

The Aussie news was mostly parochial, no more so than those broadcasting 'World News', but at least it kept us in touch with home.

I have a strong feeling the country has put too much faith in the mining business, and let all the other industries trickle overseas. Now ore prices are dropping, and the country is feeling the pinch.

My Fellow Frustrated Former Viewers of Aust/Network/ Aust Plus Television,

I had an email on Friday 05 December for one, "Amy" at Australia Plus. At least she had the courtesy to reply to one of my emails about the situation. She reiterated the reasons for the changes, also "hinted" that the email address I had used, doesn't get looked at very much and suggested further communication should be via the "Contact Us Form" at: http://www.australiaplus.com/international/about-us

The other point she made was, "At this stage we only have one rebroadcast partner in Thailand, Truevisions (cable.)"

I notice that here in Chiang Mai, those highly intelligent folk at WeTV have now managed to get MTV (Music TV) up and running on Channel 35 of their Cable "service" where Australia Plus used to be. We'll try contacting Truevisions Cable on Monday to see what, if anything they can offer. If you hear of ANY Developments, PLEASE let me know.

Edited by Torrens54

My Fellow Frustrated Former Viewers of Aust/Network/ Aust Plus Television,

I had an email on Friday 05 December for one, "Amy" at Australia Plus. At least she had the courtesy to reply to one of my emails about the situation. She reiterated the reasons for the changes, also "hinted" that the email address I had used, doesn't get looked at very much and suggested further communication should be via the "Contact Us Form" at: http://www.australiaplus.com/international/about-us

The other point she made was, "At this stage we only have one rebroadcast partner in Thailand, Truevisions (cable.)"

I notice that here in Chiang Mai, those highly intelligent folk at WeTV have now managed to get MTV (Music TV) up and running on Channel 35 of their Cable "service" where Australia Plus used to be. We'll try contacting Truevisions Cable on Monday to see what, if anything they can offer. If you hear of ANY Developments, PLEASE let me know.

I also just received an email from Amy at Australia+

I've been getting this channel on ThaiExpatTV via wi-fi for almost 2 years, and do not want/cannot afford cable TV suppliers.

What's there not to like about Bananas in Pajamas and The Wiggles. I thought they were universal.

The demise of Australia Network was a get even by PM Abbott of the behalf of his good mate Rupert Murdoch, Murdoch had wanted to take over Australia Network but was knocked back just when he thought it was in his grasp. You can bet your bottom dollar had he won the contract Abbott would not have ripped the funding from him.

• Like 1

The demise of Australia Network was a get even by PM Abbott of the behalf of his good mate Rupert Murdoch, Murdoch had wanted to take over Australia Network but was knocked back just when he thought it was in his grasp. You can bet your bottom dollar had he won the contract Abbott would not have ripped the funding from him.

Strange how the name of Murdoch keeps popping up. Thank heavens for the ABC, the BBC.

I was wondering why the screen was just black. Too bad, I enjoyed watching it. As a Canadian, I've never visited Australia but the channel made me want to visit, so it was tourism advertisement as well.

Why are you in ignorance, blaming the Thai Satellite anf Cable TV providers? Have a whinge to the Australian Government who cut funding to the ABC and see if you get a high performance response!

I have been watching WETV with 100% happiness for the last 5 years.....

• Like 1

A bit late into this debate.

It did go off on my BTV Cable service, but is now back on - same channel as it used to be, so presumably the cable providers in Pattaya have re-tuned to the new satellite.

I have to say that from the little bit that I've seen of Australia Plus, it is not as good as Aus network used to be. But having said that, Australian network was getting quite bad with their schedules getting clogged up with cooking, property and other reality shows....

Whatever happened to Jim Middleton???? He was my favourite news /documentary presenter.