Concerns arise over hiring private English teachers who may be on the run in Thailand

webfact

Concerns arise over hiring private English teachers who may be on the run

Andew-Erikson.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Concerns are being aired about hiring private English teachers and how the decision to send your children to private language schools can put them in dangers since the arrest of Thomas Andrew Ericson, a US rape suspect who fled to Thailand where he worked as an English language instructor.

The man was arrested last Wednesday night at the Moo Ban Klang Muang in Samut Prakan’s Muang district. The Crime Suppression Division wanted parents and school administrators to take this as a warning. According to reports he man from the USA was using a fake UK passport to apply for teaching jobs in the area, all the time he was on the run from rape charges in his home country.

The CSD were contacted by the US embassy on the 15th of September when they were asked to search for a dangerous person wanted by the authority in Denton Country and Harris County Texas. The 47 year old is considered dangerous due to the nature of his crimes, and due to mental illness. It is thought the man is suffering from bipolar disorder. The illness could be responsible for his ability to pass off as a reliable English teacher on the one hand and a sexual predator on the other.

It has been reported that the man has also committed crimes in the nation’s capital Bangkok. He has been accused of raping and injuring a Thai woman in a jewellery shop in Bangkok in 2011 and is wanted by the Hua Mak police who were granted a warrant for his arrest by the Criminal Court.

The search for the man’s whereabouts progressed slowly to start off with, as the man had covered up his identity, but two months into the investigation a woman suspected of being his friend was located and accounts from the woman shed light on the man’s activities in Thailand. Allegedly the suspected used his teaching skills as a front to lure many Thai women, including university lecturers and private company staff.

Mr. Erickson worked in Nakhon Si Thammarat before moving to another school in Rangsit in Pathum Thani province near northern Bangkok, later he was admitted at a teacher in a private school in the Prawet area of Bangkok. The police said that he frequently changed jobs, he was also found to be working for an online media agency.

It has been alleged that over the last few years he used forged passports to work as a language teacher in Nakhon Si Thammarat. The police have said that if he is found guilty of sex crimes in Thailand he will serve time here but may later be extradited to face charges in the US.

samuitimes-logo.jpg
-- Samui Times 2014-12-01

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The cause of the problem is incomplete and incompetent background checks and in this case it sounds like the police did a very poor and slow job to investigate crimes committed by this gentleman in this country.

The concern should not be over the hiring of teachers but their evaluation process and hiring practices performed by respective Human Resource Departments....

Accountability rests with employees who should know how to do their job properly and thoroughly and this issue becomes minimized. Criminals and sexual predators lurk everywhere in society - that's not going to change....

Security measures and preventive mechanisms is where the focus needs to be...

CB

• Like 1

Everyone, not just expat English teachers, who have contact with children (Up 2- 16yrs) , should be police cleared either from their state or country of origin and issue with a working with Children Cert from the relevant Thai authority , renewed each year , Thai's are not immune to fiddling with children either, so, Thailand come up to international standards , everyone on the same page Please.coffee1.gif ..

Nice attempt to divert the OP from the fact that this is an American paedophile with offences in the US and Thailand. This is not about alleged Thai offenders.

Everyone, not just expat English teachers, who have contact with children (Up 2- 16yrs) , should be police cleared either from their state or country of origin and issue with a working with Children Cert from the relevant Thai authority , renewed each year , Thai's are not immune to fiddling with children either, so, Thailand come up to international standards , everyone on the same page Please.coffee1.gif ..

I couldn't agree more. I won't go in to farang bash mode, especially as I am one. Good riddance to the trash that was arrested, if of course he is found guilty, as he still as suspect, so the report says. One less vile individual off the streets. However, I would like to know, especially, as we are supposedly in the digital world, how this man got through immigration. I would have assumed that his passport was flagged when entering the country, unless it was an alias.

Causing panic amongst Private language schools wouldn't be the best solution but owners (who are mostly Thai's) should ensure that a proper criminal background check is done on all teachers and staff. The cost is probably the problem, as with most things there is one. Either way it is and should be the schools responsibility to check it's staff as after all they are employing them, with visas and work permits.

What difference does ist make where he came from? A pedophile rapist in the run from britian, uk, usa, or here is bad enough.

It seems pretty obvious the school failed to check this mans history and background education. Quite possibly didn't even look at his passport once.

Some posters are correct here in thai standards but more than likely this was foriegn owned as most ptivate learning centers are. Either way his education was not checked to match his name on passport. Surely no reference checks. He walked in and thet hired him.

• Like 1

Nice attempt to divert the OP from the fact that this is an American paedophile with offences in the US and Thailand. This is not about alleged Thai offenders.

Is he wanted on paedophile charges?

Not that it makes any difference, he's a rapist scum bag, but didn't realise he was wanted for child abuse as well.

{This is not me having a pop, but a genuine question].

I don't see any diversion. Chainarong makes a valid point that adds to the sentiment in the OP which as it happens is not actually focussing solely on the American chap. Read the heading <deleted>.

Nice attempt to be argumentative for the sake of being so.

• Like 2

Yes. American Paedophile, and not English! This is where the Thais do not know whether to use the word 'farang' or 'caucasian', American or British, or French or German, ad infinitum!

He was an American teacher, not an English teacher.

It's about time Thailand stopped using the word 'farang', and started to recognise individual Western countries people are actually from!

I am not 'farang' (pertaining to French). I am British, and always will be. Pisses me off all this misidentification, and we're all grouped into one.

I'm gonna start using the word 'Asian' instead of Thai, and see how they ruddy like it... you all look the same to me, I could say! angry.png.pagespeed.ce.Cla6z9sEn6.png

The aricle I read doesn't say he is a paedophile... where did you guys read this or are you just jumping on a bandwagon..? Says he is an alleged rapist.... and American. whistling.gif

Another whining POM who can not get his facts right. Of course Thai educators are squeaky clean or are the bad ones really Burmese. Unfortunately these cretins will is to be found everywhere as even black Africans are called farangs or has my Thai wife got it wrong? Goose.

Interesting, no mention of the Brit who was arrested last week,15 arrest warrants issued in the UK. The press also failed to spot that he [the Brit] was working at the exact same school as another western teacher who was arrested earlier in the year for murdering his Pattaya girlfriend and wrapping her in bin bags.

• Like 1

Interesting, no mention of the Brit who was arrested last week,15 arrest warrants issued in the UK. The press also failed to spot that he [the Brit] was working at the exact same school as another western teacher who was arrested earlier in the year for murdering his Pattaya girlfriend and wrapping her in bin bags.

Is your point that there are plenty of wanted Brits as well Americans, Aussies and many other nationalities that are arrested here. whistling.gif

Edited by Ulysses G.

Nice attempt to divert the OP from the fact that this happens because there is no effective law enforcement or punishment to fit the crime in Thailand.

Yes. American Paedophile, and not English! This is where the Thais do not know whether to use the word 'farang' or 'caucasian', American or British, or French or German, ad infinitum!

It's about time Thailand stopped using the word 'farang', and started to recognise individual Western countries people are actually from!

I am not 'farang' (pertaining to French). I am British, and always will be. Pisses me off all this misidentification, and we're all grouped into one.

I'm gonna start using the word 'Asian' instead of Thai, and see how they ruddy like it... you all look the same to me, I could say! angry.png.pagespeed.ce.Cla6z9sEn6.png

You could if you wanted to. Not that Thais would care - they have no solidarity with other Asians anyway. They don't like their neighbours from other Asian countries.

Yes thank god stereotyping of foreigners has been wiped out in the west

Is your point that there are plenty of wanted Brits as well Americans, Aussies and many other nationalities that are arrested here. whistling.gif

No.

A new definition of a English...a child fondler... Well would a child return every day to be touched up by the teacher. Now I teach in a private school,which has to receive tuition fees these students are not compelled to come to this school. So one touch up any they are gone. Not all ferangs are rapists , what about the locals?

• Like 1

Private language schools have always enjoyed immunity from legal action ($$) with a few exceptions of not fulfilling a contract under Thai labor law.. They are always looking for the people willing to accept the lowest pay. (No need to say more on the quality of teacher that will work for $10 per hour) They promise work permits and don't come through meaning they can easily get another cheap teacher (sucker). I have one personal account when a teacher at a private school told me the owner threatened him with "the hit man" if he were taken to court for not paying the guy's salary.

Some schools, to be sure, are good, but there are many, many unscrupulous business owners.It is the school's responsibility to vet teachers and it is the schools who should be held legally accountable by the Thai government.

Before you send your child to a private language school, investigate the school. Not the glitzy web site. Investigate teacher forums and complaint forums. Ask the school what they pay teachers or go to a teaching website and see what their going rate is and how often they are advertising for teachers.