Walking from Maya to Arcade

JulieM

I need to purchase in advance some bus tickets from a trip I am taking in mid-December. I like a good walk, but I am wondering what is the shortest way to walk to Arcade from Maya?

It seems to me that the easiest is to go down Huay Gaew, along the northern edge of the moat, straight along to the river and keep going up the road past McCormick Hospital. That should take about two hours, I think.

I am wondering if walking along the superhighway would be shorter, or maybe just a total disaster since there are likely not a lot of sidewalks.

I can get a red bus taxi for around 60 baht, but again, I like a good walk once in a while.

• Like 1

kaptainrob, I did buy online once at the green line website and paid at 7/11, but the last time I checked that was not an option. I've never heard of 12go but I will check that out and come back to you if I have any questions.

As for the other responders, thanks as well.

Your first route sounds like a good one as more enjoyable, interesting, with places to stop off --- and no doubt a lot safer. The superhighway is not designed for pedestrians. Footpaths are probably lacking almost the whole way. Footpaths, of course, are a general problem in Chiang Mai, but the superhighway is really designed for high-speed traffic. That path might even be shorter, when you get down to it. Great weather for a walk.

Edited by Mapguy

Cross the superhighway to the Grand View Hotel, meander the back streets of Santitham to the Chang Puek Bus station, past the city stadium and follow Rattanakosin across the river. Keep going and turn right at the crematorium, then you're almost there.

Much more interesting than same old same around the moat. Through Santitham most direct route is Santisuk, Morakot and Chang Puek soi 4, but there are plenty of easy walking options in parallel streets and sois.

• Like 1

Taking the Super Highway (Highway 11) around is not only dangerous, but much farther as well.

Drawing a straight line on a map from Maya to the Arcade Bus Terminal will provide you with the shortest, as-the-crow-flies route. As suggested by Paagai and others, walking through town, beginning on the soi adjacent to the Grandview Hotel will give you a more interesting route. Safer too, most likely. But, as everywhere in Chiang Mai, clear and smooth sidewalks are hard to come by.

Take a look at this map or any others that are easily found. http://goo.gl/maps/b4b5k

"I need to purchase in advance some bus tickets from a trip I am taking in mid-December. I like a good walk, but I am wondering what is the shortest way to walk to Arcade from Maya?

It seems to me that the easiest is to go down Huay Gaew, along the northern edge of the moat, straight along to the river and keep going up the road past McCormick Hospital. That should take about two hours, I think.

I am wondering if walking along the superhighway would be shorter, or maybe just a total disaster since there are likely not a lot of sidewalks.

I can get a red bus taxi for around 60 baht, but again, I like a good walk once in a while."

How on earth did you get here ???

Is your real name Samantha ???

kaptainrob, I did buy online once at the green line website and paid at 7/11, but the last time I checked that was not an option. I've never heard of 12go but I will check that out and come back to you if I have any questions.

As for the other responders, thanks as well.

So much for the like a good walk.

I like your original route as it saves time by not having to double back to the road the Arcade is on. I do believe the Superhighway would be a little longer. Not sure on that but as you say not entirely always the safest road to walk on in some places.

I believe their is a cheap songthaew at the Chang Puak bus station. It is in the North Gate area that is a direct route. Not sure if that is still an option. You could take it going and coming back and still get a nice walk in.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

You will be choked by pollution doing such a walk. I love walking but wouldn't dream of walking from Maya to the Arcade. Air quality in CM is awful....

You are new to Chiang Mai I take it. Wait until March and you will really learn what smog is.

That is a serious walk. No way would I attempt it between noon and 4 pm, if at all. Just get a tuk tuk for 100 and you will be there in 10 minutes.

The heat for sure would get him in those hours.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

You will be choked by pollution doing such a walk. I love walking but wouldn't dream of walking from Maya to the Arcade. Air quality in CM is awful....

You are new to Chiang Mai I take it. Wait until March and you will really learn what smog is.

That is a serious walk. No way would I attempt it between noon and 4 pm, if at all. Just get a tuk tuk for 100 and you will be there in 10 minutes.

The heat for sure would get him in those hours.

I routinely walk from Nimman up to Wat Palad, leaving Nimman around noon. Wat Palad is a bit less than halfway up the mountain to Wat Doi Suthep. Heat has never bothered me. Cold...now that bothers me.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I decided to take a red taxi there (60 baht from outside Maya) and walk back. Let me tell you, there is no way this walk can be done in 1 hr. 13 minutes.

I took a very indirect route home and stopped a few times, and I don't recall how long it took. I can walk from Nimmen to the Dukes Riverside location in 1 hour 10 minutes, but not all the way to Arcade.

Edited by JulieM

There is an official GreenBus Ticket Office on Suthep Rd., Soi 4, about 100 meters from the main Rd.. From Maya, if you cut across campus and came out anywhere on Suthep, you would be less than a 10 minute walk. 20 thb per ticket fee. Goint to arcade, I would take a red for 20 thb to Chiang Moi, and walk from there. The regular bridge is fine for pedestrians....mostly OK sidewalks around Mccormick......it's crazy around there when school gets out, but some good places to eat and few busy streets to cross.

attachicon.gifCapture 2.png

Or, the Paagai route:

smile.png

beware if you take the 1 hr 13 minute one as you would has to go past the international terrorist organizations chiang mai chapter. not a nice place and subject to harassment and intimidation just by going by.

? The US Consulate you mean?

I walked by there just fine. They just don't like you taking pictures around there.

Or, the Paagai route:

smile.png

beware if you take the 1 hr 13 minute one as you would has to go past the international terrorist organizations chiang mai chapter. not a nice place and subject to harassment and intimidation just by going by.

? The US Consulate you mean?

I walked by there just fine. They just don't like you taking pictures around there.

I was trying to decipher his cryptic post and came to the conclusion that the "terrorist organizations" he was referring to could only be the US Consulate or the Devi Mandir...depending on his political orientation.

• Like 1