Does One Lose A Nonb Leaving Thailand?

help, anyone! am very much a newbie in as far as this visa/work permit is concerned... though i've been teaching in bangkok for a year now but, on a tourist visa. got away with it obviously but now i'm definitely going to do things the right way. the papers i need for a nonB are ready and i'll be off to khotabaru a week from now. i'm confident that all of my docs are in order, there should be no problem about the visa. next would be work permit/teachers license and here is the problem. apparently, i need to have certification (tefl or celta) and i don't. what i do have is a BA and some post grad units (not related to teaching). i do not want to "buy" a certificate. i intend to earn one. and when i do, only then could i apply for a work permit, right? can i leave the country (at least for a few days) without applying for my work permit yet (as i believe i'll be in the process of doing my tefl course that time) and come back to thailand without losing my nonB status?

thanks for any ideas/suggestions on this matter. peace!

help, anyone! am very much a newbie in as far as this visa/work permit is concerned... though i've been teaching in bangkok for a year now but, on a tourist visa. got away with it obviously but now i'm definitely going to do things the right way. the papers i need for a nonB are ready and i'll be off to khotabaru a week from now. i'm confident that all of my docs are in order, there should be no problem about the visa. next would be work permit/teachers license and here is the problem. apparently, i need to have certification (tefl or celta) and i don't. what i do have is a BA and some post grad units (not related to teaching). i do not want to "buy" a certificate. i intend to earn one. and when i do, only then could i apply for a work permit, right? can i leave the country (at least for a few days) without applying for my work permit yet (as i believe i'll be in the process of doing my tefl course that time) and come back to thailand without losing my nonB status?

thanks for any ideas/suggestions on this matter. peace!

Get a multiple entry Non-Immigrant B visa. Once you get a work permit you can apply for a one year extension.

...but then Doc, that all sounds easier said than done. it's going to be my very first ever nonB and from what i hear, they always give you just 90days, single entry. i guess, a re-entry permit's my safest bet for now. thanks tho'... truly appreciate the advice. peace!

doctor means, get your non immigrant B visa, come back to thailand, get your work permit. then go to thai immigration and get a one year extension. after that if you want to leave thailand for any reason during the extension, you get a re entry permit in thailand before you leave to keep your extension valid.