10 Russians, 2 Thai’s injured in Jomtien Road Crash

webfact

I see idiots every day on the roads.

Always wondered why the police don't exploit this as a money maker?

Could make a 'legitimate' fortune handing out tickets to these morons.

Back in the 1980's I was in the Florida Army National Guard, and quite a few guys were in Law Enforcement the other 28 days of the month.

One guy was an Orange County Florida (Orlando =SUPER Tourist area - Mickey Mouse lives there) Deputy Sheriff & he said they had 500 deputies.

Let's say Pattaya is as big as Orlando was 30 years ago = 500 Pattaya cops.

They each currently get, what? 10,000 a month? Let's say 20,000, as I have no facts, just a guess.

500 cops write 10,000 baht worth of tickets every day in legitimate tickets for legitimate public safety violations...500 X 10,000 = 5 million baht per day going to the Police Department coffers = 150 million gross per month.

HMMMM......Nah, just let them set up a check point here & there & randomly enforce the law & let them pocket 800 baht a day illegally, WITH A BADGE & WHO CARE ABOUT LAWS OR SAFETY?

• Like 1

500 baht fine slap on wrist a two hours making merit for trying to play Russian Rollett Hope the Russians were only shaken and not stirred. We must not stop Quality tourist from enjoying being ripped off by Thailands finest scammers must we?

Thats why I never hang out on the back of the baht bus. You have no chance if a car hits you from behind. I live close by and I take the white baht buses every week, always make sure to find a seat or wait for the next one.

Having failed to attract the Tour de France to Thailand, I hope TAT are more successful in bringing the Olympics here. If they do, maybe they would introduce a sure gold medal sport for the home team, namely 'Hit & Run'.

On a more serious note, I hope the alleged drunk driver is prosecuted soon and the unlucky victims of his stupidity make a speedy and full recovery.

Doesn't look like the Chevvy took off. From the reports it would appear that he was a drunk driver so they should throw the book at him, lock him up and throw the keys away! They were supposed to be making this stretch of Jomtien Beach Road a one way system. What happened?

I think a little reading and comprehension practice is needed here.

From my reading of the OP the accident happened on Sukumvit with both vehicles nominally travelling in the same direction. If you actually ventured to the area you would be aware that the white baht buses as described and pictured in the OP travel up and down Sukumvit whereas Beach Rd in Jomtien is the domain of the dark blue baht buses of the Pattaya baht bus co-operative. Another hint as to the location is the mention of the Ambassador Hotel as the point of origin for the Russians, it is not in the Pattaya entertainment zone.

Please read more than the headline before engaging rant mode.

They do :- No Licence, No Helmet, No Insurance, Speeding, Dangerous Driving, etc etc

Fine Pattaya, Bangkok 400 baht Villages and Provincial cities 200 baht.

Doesn't look like the Chevvy took off. From the reports it would appear that he was a drunk driver so they should throw the book at him, lock him up and throw the keys away! They were supposed to be making this stretch of Jomtien Beach Road a one way system. What happened?

'Ran away' - not 'drove away'

Legitimate question here: Why does it seem like every time there is an accident in Thailand, the driver of the vehicle at fault runs away. I'd like to know.

Because the driver could end up being beaten to death , if Thais are involved they like to take action on their own instead of waiting for the police. We have examples in Thailand of drivers being lynched after an accident like this,

So the normal thing here is that the driver flee the scene to avoid the crowd and then meet the police a few hours later.

Edited by balo

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Handing out tickets is not the same as collecting money. They have to collect the money on the spot or impound the vehicle.

Geez, do I have to tell them?w00t.gif