In Thailand, does Money make you Happy?

David48

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many of us remember that they were happier in their relationships when they were students, backpackers, had little money etc. Then we got it all but lost something at the same time. Endless longing creates suffering. I understand most of the good reasons for leading the simple life. I will continue the studies and, hopefully, find a solution. Until then:

It's better to be healthy and rich, then sick and poor!

Many things in Thailand are revolving around money, so it's good to have a lot of it.

Having said that, Thailand was reasonable cheap 10 years ago and is becoming rapidly expensive.

Depending on circumstances Europe can already be cheaper to live.

Some examples:

The houses are not so cheap anymore, but the interest on a mortgage is 3 times as high as in Europe and so is the interest on car loans etc. And hardly an tax deduction.

Normal priced cars are consuming like crazy, economic cars are much more expensive the in Europe.

Kids in international or bi-lingual schools, with term fees increasing 5 to 10% per year cost a fortune and there is no child support from the government.

Food in the market or supermarket is now approaching European levels.

And if I look at my lunch in a simple restaurant, fried rice with a fried egg that went from 40 to 50 Baht in this year, so did my bottle of Beer Chang and my cold coffee on the way to work. All daily things that went up with 25% in 1 year make me not so certain if we can afford to live here for many more years.

My brother in Europe spends much less on a family of the same size and even older kids.

Average home, 2000 sq foot Europe minus average home 2000 sq foot Thailand and divide the balance by 20 years and tell me how much you save per year?

If I count in 2 to 2.5 times the house price in Europe, the tax deduction and the lower interest it's about the same cost here.

Hard to say if money WILL make you happy, but you can sure as hell bet that not having any WILL make you miserable, just as it will anywhere else, but most can and will find a way to blame it all on Thailand.

• Like 1

Money in Thailand like everywhere is very necessary. Also I have so many children now. All living in issan. Call me poppa rather than Jack....think this is a safety measure implemented my meher to avoid confusion in their young heads.

Edited by jacksam

I think if your happy, having money is a cracker. It is a true blast. I think if your depressed, having no money is depressing. So i guess in saying that, the opposite applies. Some people with no money, but are happy with theyre lot, well they,ll be happy. Then there are those with heaps of money, no so happy with their lot that will be sad. See, told you, it would all be so easy to work out. Fact is, you are either happy, or you are sad, and that can change week by week. Some of the wealthiest happiest people on the earth have committed suicide in a moment of weakness, and if they had of left it till the morning, they would have probably slept it off, and woken up happy and wealthy. I hope that shit made it clear as mud. For the record, Im broke, but happy today, but ask me in the morning, I may give you a different answer.

Hard to say if money WILL make you happy, but you can sure as hell bet that not having any WILL make you miserable, just as it will anywhere else, but most can and will find a way to blame it all on Thailand.

David needs some money. He needs to use it to pay for his fees for his MAN UP course.

After he mans up, he will be happy.

• Like 1

A simple life is fine, but you still need money. It'd be nice to have enough money so you don't have to work, and don't have to worry about visa problems if you don't work. If you're young visas are a huge problem even if you have enough money to live on without working.

What is wrong with us Foreigners? This is Thailand and if you get flexible then this is the best place to be. I treat everyone I meet with Respect without licking Arshes on any level. I look at everyone I meet on the same level being calm and relaxed even if the inside wants to detonate, and use that frustration to make it more easy for you the next time things happen.

We cannot change the country by ranting and shouting, we bring change when we are calm and relaxed and share things with the Thai people. All over the Country there are changes on going and we who are living here are part of the changes for the better or the worst is up to us.

Isan is not only the UDD - Isan is changes and development, Isan provides the educated and not so educated work force for the capital and surrounding Industrial Areas. The development in Thailand within the next 10 - 20 Years the development will stay mostly in the Isan region, bordering Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia it is just a simple fact and the development is on going there with speed.

You don;t like it here? Go home but there you like it neither. Your attitude is the problem, we create what we think! it is as seasy as that.

The more you got ,the more you spend,that's life.

For me and my GF if I can pay the bills and live a happy life That's it,,,, Why do you need more>>>>><<<<< To show of and to make you feel imported<<<<>>>>>That's not happiness that's bullshit.

Yep, no money no honey.

You got it, but I'm not referring to sex. Life without money is less sweet. Sure, you can be happy with a companion and family without much money, but it's pretty hard to be happy with no money. However, when you can go where you want, do what you want, and not go on a permanent diet of rice and nam pla to make it up; are your lives not better? Being the hedonist I am, better makes me happy.

Do you think that if you have heaps of money ... which you will spend ... it's only human nature ...

they make it very difficult to spend money in thailand what with not being able to buy land/house, neigh impossible to get a drivers license so car is very difficult too.

some of the most beautiful girls were around when youth was much more on side than money but that could also be a changing of the seasons.

Getting a driving license is very easy, what has been your problem in achieving this ?

Do you think that if you have heaps of money ... which you will spend ... it's only human nature ...

they make it very difficult to spend money in thailand what with not being able to buy land/house, neigh impossible to get a drivers license so car is very difficult too.

some of the most beautiful girls were around when youth was much more on side than money but that could also be a changing of the seasons.

Getting a driving license is very easy, what has been your problem in achieving this ?

I must admit, I was a little confused with that one.

• Like 1

Money is a tool; like a screwdriver, a motorbike, a pair of sunglasses.

Happiness is a motivation; an idea for action. I see many Thai's with an incredible capacity for forcing happiness despite hard work daily, and little money.

But whether money, like anything, can make you happy, that is up to the miserable person alone. Does sleeping with your screwdriver really make you happy?

Many things in Thailand are revolving around money, so it's good to have a lot of it.

Having said that, Thailand was reasonable cheap 10 years ago and is becoming rapidly expensive.

Depending on circumstances Europe can already be cheaper to live.

Some examples:

The houses are not so cheap anymore, but the interest on a mortgage is 3 times as high as in Europe and so is the interest on car loans etc. And hardly an tax deduction.

Normal priced cars are consuming like crazy, economic cars are much more expensive the in Europe.

Kids in international or bi-lingual schools, with term fees increasing 5 to 10% per year cost a fortune and there is no child support from the government.

Food in the market or supermarket is now approaching European levels.

And if I look at my lunch in a simple restaurant, fried rice with a fried egg that went from 40 to 50 Baht in this year, so did my bottle of Beer Chang and my cold coffee on the way to work. All daily things that went up with 25% in 1 year make me not so certain if we can afford to live here for many more years.

My brother in Europe spends much less on a family of the same size and even older kids.

Average home, 2000 sq foot Europe minus average home 2000 sq foot Thailand and divide the balance by 20 years and tell me how much you save per year?

If I count in 2 to 2.5 times the house price in Europe, the tax deduction and the lower interest it's about the same cost here.

Average home price in Belgium (my experience) minus average home price in Thailand is 20 million baht or 1 million baht a year for 20 years.

Money is a key indicator (along with job, education, skin colour, etc.) to determine your social status and position in the pecking order if you are locked into the Thai social structure. This would include virtually all Thais and virtually no Westerners. I guess it would not be much fun to be bottom of the heap.

Money is a key indicator (along with job, education, skin colour, etc.) to determine your social status and position in the pecking order if you are locked into the Thai social structure. This would include virtually all Thais and virtually no Westerners. I guess it would not be much fun to be bottom of the heap.

I think many people in many countries would agree that the situation is the same in their country. Japan, Korea, Germany, Sweden, Norway, France, Finland, Iceland change Westerner to another nationality.

Tell me is it easier for you to get a long term visa to Thailand or a Thai person to get a visa to your country?

My Thai Wife and her friends define "Wealthy In Thailand" as 10 Million BAHT.

I define "Rich" as being able to do and buy what I want.

I don't want a lot of things, and I don't need a lot of things. But I have and can get what I want.

To me ..... that makes me a Rich Man.

• Like 1