have you got everything ready?

pigeonjake

for christmas that is ,

and how will you be spending yours in thailand,

things different over here, i miss the snow, i also miss the cold,

but we still have a small tree and a few lights nothing overboard,

i wont be there this year im on christmass and new year rotation in angola,

else we would be having the normal christmas dinner, only thing is we dont have turkey, its corn fed chicken or duck, i could go for goose but oven not big enough,

so how you going to spend yours??

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My best memories were going to grand folks house, seeing all the old cousins, aunts, uncles from last year and the new ones less than a year old. Food was the main attraction, presents consisted of one for the grand parents, normally clothing. we kids got oranges, brazil/pecan nuts, apples left from fall and home made candy. peanut brittle, bon bons (coconut balls covered in choclate) , fudge, etc. The men folk went hunting early xmas morning while the women finished meal prepration, pheasent, quail, duck, turkey, were prime targets. Large family was the norm so there would 55 to 60 headcount with grandparents, their children and grandchildren.

• Like 2

My best memories were going to grand folks house, seeing all the old cousins, aunts, uncles from last year and the new ones less than a year old. Food was the main attraction, presents consisted of one for the grand parents, normally clothing. we kids got oranges, brazil/pecan nuts, apples left from fall and home made candy. peanut brittle, bon bons (coconut balls covered in choclate) , fudge, etc. The men folk went hunting early xmas morning while the women finished meal prepration, pheasent, quail, duck, turkey, were prime targets. Large family was the norm so there would 55 to 60 headcount with grandparents, their children and grandchildren.

yep i have to agree,

christmas is for family,

so i guess the people who say they arnt botherd will be mainly people who are on there own,

ill be on a lay barge with a load of phils welders,

so our christmas will be in feb,

i for one wish all a very merry christmas and a happy new year,,wai2.gif

I got the origins of Xmas sorted out.

The following is a true story, i didn't make it up.

Originally, Christmas is the celebration of the birth of a rebel(JC) who passed away a long time ago. When he was alive he was misunderstood. As he challenged the status quo, they wanted to kill him. They crucified him but certain powerful people who supported him removed him from the cross after the public crucifixion was over and everybody went home. They saved his life(it was possible as a person who is crucified doesn't die right away. He is in agony for long hours then dies because of extreme blood loss).

That's why the story goes, his body disappeared from the grave because he resurrected. He didn't. He was just taken away and was saved from ignorant people who wanted him dead simply because he was ahead of his time.

When he recovered, he of course had to leave the country. He couldn't stay there, as they would have found him and finish what they started. He then moved to a place, we call India today, lived and died there at an old age.

Entire religions were created based on his teachings, his life and his death, making it all look like he was the son of god(which is a human creature) telling people to believe in him, worship him and by giving people something to believe in, the creators of this tale gained great control over the rest of the people.

This was thousands of years ago and to this day, people still believe it.

Happy Christmas

P. S. All this is well documented so don't start arguing. That would unnecessarily ruin your Christmas.

• Like 2

Originally, Christmas is the celebration of the birth of a rebel(JC) who passed away a long time ago. When he was alive he was misunderstood. As he challenged the status quo, they wanted to kill him. They crucified him but certain powerful people who supported him removed him from the cross after the public crucifixion was over and everybody went home. They saved his life(it was possible as a person who is crucified doesn't die right away. He is in agony for long hours then dies because of extreme blood loss).

That's why the story goes, his body disappeared from the grave because he resurrected. He didn't. He was just taken away and was saved from ignorant people who wanted him dead simply because he was ahead of his time.

When he recovered, he of course had to leave the country. He couldn't stay there, as they would have found him and finish what they started. He then moved to a place, we call India today, lived and died there at an old age.

Entire religions were created based on his teachings, his life and his death, making it all look like he was the son of god(which is a human creature) telling people to believe in him, worship him and by giving people something to believe in, the creators of this tale gained great control over the rest of the people.

Happy Christmas

P. S. All this is well documented so don't start arguing. That would unnecessarily ruin your Christmas.

Died in Kashmere...but India is good enough description.thumbsup.gif

We will be heading back to the states to see my mother,brother and sister and their families. They all live in Wisconsin. Last I checked it was below zero with snow. It will be great to spend a week there but even better knowing that we will be back here, in the warm weather, for New Year.

I'm not slighting the folks who get all worked up about Christmas.....if it makes you happy that's fine, enjoy yourselves to the fullest. However, I worked in retail in the States for a number of years and, quite frankly, I got to a point where I dreaded the Christmas holidays. I appreciate the true spirit of the holiday with religious observances, family gatherings, and all the trimmings, but it seems that has become secondary to the commercial aspect the world over, and in Thailand, that's the ONLY aspect. I was briefly in the States this year until Nov. 2, and some businesses were already starting to set up Christmas decorations! I couldn't wait to get out of there!. As far as my family here in Thailand is concerned, none of them have ever celebrated Christmas and that's fine with me. Usually on the week before Christmas I set up a little (9") artificial tree with lights and maybe a few twinklies. On Christmas day I usually gift my wife with some little treats she likes. That's enough for me.

• Like 1

Another contender for the most ridiculous post of the year. Now this one really has a good chance of winning.

Whenever I read negative crap like this ... I always look at the authors content.

Has the member been a wordsmith, a Shakesphere amonst our ranks and thus allowed to look humbly down upon we mere plebs.

Cough ... thejcb ... one OP ... here it is ... February this Year.

I am arriving on March 1st, to stay 1 month (so must offer monthly rates), so looking for NICE, comfortable place to stay inside the square. Guesthouse or Hotel with parking and wifi.

<snip>

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/706038-accommodation-needed-inside-chiang-mai-square/

Crawl back under your log.

Come back out when you have something constructive to say.

Edited by David48
  • Like 1

I am not of fan of Christmas, my back to back is and had family do I decided to work both. I will be in a Muslim country so hopefully I well not get to inundated with phony sentiments. But for those that enjoy Merry Christmas.

Caught sight of a HUGE Butterball Turkey today in Makro, now its mine !!!

Yeah, that's where the American Thanksgiving holiday does well, we get the drop on the Christmas Turkey shoppers--the wife fixed two butterball turkeys and two honey-baked Virginia hams, six different casseroles, ten cakes and pies and all the fixings for T-day--had more than 30 people over, had about a cup of sweet potato casserole, a half a piece of apple cheesecake, a slice of ham, and two turkey wings left-over; not even any giblet dressing left. You'd think some people never had a good T-day dinner before.

I'll read Farang police reports, the chapters about murder underneath the Christmas trees back "home"

And then huddle around with my gf at home, the only lady that want me alive rather than dead. Hopefully she comes back home for Xmas.

Happy Christmas

Nice interpretation...but not quite the whole story.

It was a pagan holiday, adopted by the church, as the birth of Jesus, hundreds of years later. The date itself is not accurate, as the calendar is 3 years off. There is no historical record of 25 december being the birthdate.

Celebrate it any day you like. I do respect the faith, but it has long turned into a marketing scam.

Many Eastern influences....which, by the way, would make sense. Christ was quite the rebel. Not your perfect Jewish man. A good Rabbi none the less. Probably fed up with the Roman occupation and money laundering scams which involved high, office holding, religious leaders of Israel. Goes to show you..the power of one.

our Mass of Christ (Christmas)...is anything but the truth. We put trees up, cook poultry, wrap up expensive (store bought) gifts, put candy in stockings...and dream of old, fat men climbing down the chimney with a big sack of toys. It is so much a part of our soul, almost hereditary.

I kind of like it. Soon will be looking for a tree, of some sorts, and some stocking stuffers.

For you history buffs.....Dionysus Exiguus, a sixth century monk, who was the first to date all of history from December 25th, the year of our Lord 1.

Edited by slipperylobster