Oe6 (outlook Express6) Problems

opalhort

Hi,

I am not able to set OE6 as my default mail client on a XP PC. No problem on an other XP PC.

Within OE6 I can set it to default, click apply and nothing happens.

In IE6 'Internet Options - Programs' only Outlook shows up in the drop-down list for default E-mail programs, though Outlook Express is listed in the Newsgroup drop-down list.

How can I get OE6 into the list of available e-mail clients in the IE6 Programs tab?

opalhort

Hi,

I am not able to set OE6 as my default mail client on a XP PC. No problem on an other XP PC.

Within OE6 I can set it to default, click apply and nothing happens.

In IE6 'Internet Options - Programs' only Outlook shows up in the drop-down list for default E-mail programs, though Outlook Express is listed in the Newsgroup drop-down list.

How can I get OE6 into the list of available e-mail clients in the IE6 Programs tab?

opalhort

I tried to edit my post but it didn't work.

I guess my basic question is: how can I populate the drop-down lists in the IE6 - Internet Options - Programs Tab.

opalhort

Opal,

I'm not sure how to populate the dropdown list, in mine I have hotmail and msn explorer (which I have never used), outllook, and outlook express. I have only used outlook express, but I rememebr one microsoft security update that reset outlook as my default email program and outlook express was gone from the dropdown list. I got it back through outlook express. In outlook express, go to tools>options> general tab and on the bottom click to make this program your default email handler. It worked for me.

Higgy

Opal,

I'm not sure how to populate the dropdown list, in mine I have hotmail and msn explorer (which I have never used), outllook, and outlook express. I have only used outlook express, but I rememebr one microsoft security update that reset outlook as my default email program and outlook express was gone from the dropdown list. I got it back through outlook express. In outlook express, go to tools>options> general tab and on the bottom click to make this program your default email handler. It worked for me.

Higgy

Higgy,

I've done what you've suggested many times but it doesn't work.

I should point out that I have had this problem from day 1 when XP-SP2 (licensed) was installed on a brand new PC in May last year.

any ideas?

thanks

opalhort

Never had the problem but this might help, particularly the part about deregistering and reregistering the program and libraries, also has instructions on reinstalling:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/commun...s/oerepair.mspx

Thanks a lot Silvero :o

your link, paragraph "Reregister Outlook Express" solved my problem.

opalhort

(why couldn't I find this link? must have soemthing to do with age :D )

why not use outlook? i wouldnt go back to outlook express

because I've started out with OE 10 years ago under WIN95 and moved all mail along over the various OS upgrades (WIN98, WIN2K and now WIN-XP), close to 100,000 in and out mails by now.

Outlook is of course better but it has features I just don't need, also it uses a lot more PC resources than OE. OE6 serves me just fine (for now).

opalhort

You do realize that using OE makes you more vulnerable to viruses, worms, and other nasties? I bet you even use the preview pane so that the really clever viruses can execute without you even bothering to open the infected email. :o And you use Internet Explorer, too, I can tell.

People like you, too used to the Microsoft product to switch, are the reason the Internet slows to a crawl when a new email virus or worm is out.

Would you please consider switching to a better browser and email client? Try Firefox as your browser, and Thunderbird as your email client. Get them HERE.

You do realize that using OE makes you more vulnerable to viruses, worms, and other nasties? I bet you even use the preview pane so that the really clever viruses can execute without you even bothering to open the infected email. :o And you use Internet Explorer, too, I can tell.

People like you, too used to the Microsoft product to switch, are the reason the Internet slows to a crawl when a new email virus or worm is out.

Would you please consider switching to a better browser and email client? Try Firefox as your browser, and Thunderbird as your email client. Get them HERE.

Of course you are correct to promote other safer means for mail and web browsing, but please allow me to take exception to your statement "People like you......."!

During the 10 years on the net we have never!!! been infected with a virus/worm. Twice over this period we have had spyware which came in through nasty downloads from the web but was caught within seconds of being installed.

Our 3PC LAN is as protected as can be and the last virus/spyware check is my head.

opalhort