Would the wireless android cards/boxes for a tv, do this?

zeekgarcia

I am trying to find out if the wireless android cards/boxes that people use to stream things from their computer to their tv would all me to use a windows vista, 7 or 8 computer and also be able to use an android tablet to wirelessly connect to a non hdmi projector or tv that has a vga input?

I have saw some cables that one end is vga and the other end is hdmi so I am wondering if one of the wireless hdmi cards would let me wirelessly show mostly powerpoint and pdfs on my computer or android tablet on the non-hdmi tv or projector.

Thanks

Possibly you could find an Android app capable of doing that but it seems unnecessarily complicated to me.

If your objective is to make a wireless display output from a PC to a projector with only a VGA input, something like this would be the easiest.

http://www.amazon.com/Optoma-BI-EXTBG03-Wireless-VGA-Dongle/dp/B009PIRXEY

I'm sure if you search on ebay or aliexpress you will find something cheaper.

VGA is an analogue signal, HDMI is a digital signal. There has to be a converter to convert between the two. Usually the VGA to HDMI cables on the market, the VGA is the input and the HDMI is the output. Not the other way around. It's usually used for a laptop that doesn't have a HDMI output. However if the HDMI is the input and the VGA is the output, it could be used. But I doubt you'll find just a conversion cable. Usually a digital to analogue converter requires an external power source.

There are several protocols used to 'Mirror' a display on a HDTV; Miracast, EZCast, ChromeCast, Airplay, DLNA, WiDi, Push2TV, or Microsoft's WDA. You must use a HDTV dongle and a device that supports one or more of these protocols for the display of the device to be displayed on an HDTV or projector. I pointed out in your earlier post, links to devices that are compatible for converting your old projector to convert a HDMI dongle to the projector using RCA inputs to the projector.

Intel's WiDi require Intel's latest generation of CPU/GPU, (i3, i5, i7) on Windows 7 and later.

Microsoft added support for Miracast in Windows 8.1

I believe Microsoft's WDA uses the Miracast protocol although I'm not 100% sure.

Netgear's Push2TV uses the Widi protocol.

The Airplay protocol is used by Apple.

Miracast support is built into Android 4.2 or later.

ChromeCast doesn't support Miracast. It is used by Google and only 'mirrors' content from the web from a Chrome browser.

EZcast supports multiple protocols (Miracast, Chromecast, Airplay, DLNA, and Widi)

Edited by BB1950

ChromeCast doesn't support Miracast. It is used by Google and only 'mirrors' content from the web from a Chrome browser.

Not in the latest beta - it can mirror whatever is on the screen, with audio.

It's called "Cast Entire Screen (experimental)" and it works OK.

Here's a good video on how to connect a Chromecast dongle to an older TV. Instead of the TV you would use your old style projector. You can use any other kind of HDMI dongle that supports remote mirroring as mentioned above. Notice the use of a multiple USB port power adapter to supply power to both the HDMI2AV converter and Chromecast dongle. The multiple port power adapters are readily available in Thailand.

Edited by BB1950

Since Chicog mentioned Chromecast now supports desktop mirroring called "Cast Entire Screen", here's couple videos demonstrating it. The first video is using it on a Windows PC and the second video is using it on an Android device.

Edited by BB1950