Mother of all jams

backstairs

I do the Cherng Talay to Surin road each day. On the way to Surin I bet with myself as to how far the traffic stretches from the bottle neck created by the street market near the big mosque. Well yesterday i gave up the bet and turned off the main road. Grid lock. Came round the back by the beach and up and over past the ex Chedi.

Terrible road all the way. But I was pleased that my quick thinking had got me out of an awful jam.

Not so. As I came down to the beach junction there was the jam again. Wow. So long. All the way from Cherng Talay police station and past Surin beach and heading up the hill towards Kamala . Does any one know what caused this mother of all jams? Wonder how many missed flights.

I do the Cherng Talay to Surin road each day. On the way to Surin I bet with myself as to how far the traffic stretches from the bottle neck created by the street market near the big mosque. Well yesterday i gave up the bet and turned off the main road. Grid lock. Came round the back by the beach and up and over past the ex Chedi.

Terrible road all the way. But I was pleased that my quick thinking had got me out of an awful jam.

Not so. As I came down to the beach junction there was the jam again. Wow. So long. All the way from Cherng Talay police station and past Surin beach and heading up the hill towards Kamala . Does any one know what caused this mother of all jams? Wonder how many missed flights.

What time of day was this? I have driven from Chalong through Patong, Kamala, Surin up to the airport road a few times over the last couple of weeks, it has always been clear, I am on this route from 8am.

It will be great once it's all finished!

Edited by Badrabbit

The traffic sucks big time right now and it is not peak season. Thalang is also locked now since they open the new Macro and the HomePro will follow.

Impressive how full the carpark at Makro was yesterday at 10 am. 2 times this week i need 50 min from heroines to Maikhao. This island is dying the traffic death.

Life-sustaining measures should be stop in 2015.

What time of day was this? I have driven from Chalong through Patong, Kamala, Surin up to the airport road a few times over the last couple of weeks, it has always been clear, I am on this route from 8am.

Nothing will be great when it's finished. Drive around by yourself and a blind person can see these underpasses will change nothing. Only some guys get new mercedes!

Nothing will be great when it's finished. Drive around by yourself and a blind person can see these underpasses will change nothing. Only some guys get new mercedes!

Of course it will change and for the better, traffic is bad everywhere, improvement takes time and as far as I'm concerned it will get better.

Of course it will change and for the better, traffic is bad everywhere, improvement takes time and as far as I'm concerned it will get better.

I'd like to think you're right but I'm not so sure.

The number of vehicles on the island is growing at a faster rate than the road improvements can cope with.

Think of all the road widening that took place a few years ago. That was supposed to improve the traffic and for a short time it did, until the vehicle numbers grew and now the roads are busier than ever.

It's not just Phuket; several major towns in Thailand suffer the same problems. There are not enough roads to cater for the number of cars.

• Like 1

Nope. Only a financial collapse may save Phuket from becoming a traffic hell like Jakarta. Maybe then they start with real public transport. Underpasses/flyover are no solution. Go and have a drive in Jakarta.......

Who knows what will happen, I personally think well hope that it does improve, time will tell I guess.

Increase in number of cars thanks to the hair brained 100K rebate scheme. Now that most everyone that bought can't make the payments, hopefully most of these cars will be taken off the road. Only thing keeping many afloat is the number of these new car scheme purchases that are for rent to all and sundry that you see on every corner.

Until they make main roads with no traffic lights accompanied by slip roads, traffic will always be a cluster truck.

• Like 1

On the day in question a cement mixer had rear ended a pickup truck causing carnage close to Tesco Cherngtalay

FWIW I heard it hit a Fortuner and then another car while backing up off it thereby managing to block both lanes near the narrow part just south of Lotus near the big mosque.

I was coming from Surin area headed to Cherng Talay at about 6pm on the day but when I saw the jam I turned around and went through Bang Tao all the way round the back to get to Pasak Rd. It was a mess to be sure.

Guaranteed to happen in the underpass at some point is a bad accident, some pick-up drivers, mini-van drivers etc are lunatics, just imagine a lunatic going through the tunnel at top speed because they love the amplified sound of there ride, hit another vehicle and God forbid cause a fire, has the underpass got smoke extractors? it might not be long but smoke will not clear on its own quickly without assistance! it's going to happen just a question of when.

• Like 1