I am finally asking for help

puukao

Let me start with some honesty: I have to ride my pedal bike. I have ridden a bicycle for about a year in Chiang Mai, and it was critical to my happiness. I also had an ED visa, so I was unable to really pursue employment at that time.

I have the TESOL, 40's (I do look pretty young, white, American, athletic, MBA), and have recently passed a few Social Studies exams to teach 7 - 12th grade. Passing those tests is not enough to get a teaching certificate, rather a Statement of Eligibility for Alternative Licensing. I do have experience teaching, but on a more professional level in a classroom environment.

ideally I could teach history, but let's say I go the English teaching route. Yes, it's rather difficult to find a social studies position, and teachers in America seem to have no balance in life at all. Maybe that's the same in Thailand, I'm not sure.

I have a feeling it's hard to get a teaching job in CM, and I won't teach in BKK or any city south of Krung Thep. Ideally I'm north near some mountains, but I'm not sure where to look. I also am not sure which agencies are good to use. I also am not sure the schools with a good reputation. CR would be fine as well. I would just like some advice on a city that you think I would like with my bike and find a job relatively soon. I'm sure I'm missing some critical questions.

I would like to head to Thailand within 1-2 months.

• Like 1

If I was you I would stay away from any agencies as they will take a % of your wages. Have a few CV's and resume letter ready and hit the schools in person. Lampang is a nice city with an airport, mountains, volcanic hot spa's, national parks and has an ex-pat community so western food is not to far away if you have a craving for it.

I would like to head to Thailand within 1-2 months.

CM is crowded and polluted. Please be aware that March/April and beginning of May seems to be the best time to find employment,as the new school year at government schools begins in middle of May.

​ You might consider to check on www. ajarn com, if there's job available. Should you not be successful, please send me a private message, I'll forward you my e-mail, get you in touch with the HRM of a big agency and I'm pretty certain that you'll be successful.

If you're planning to teach for longer, it's a good way to gain some teaching experience, working for an agency.

Teaching English in Thailand is usually a real difficult job. But working for an agency will also enable you to see other schools, you'll see other foreigners who know what's going on in that particular area and then you should look for a teaching position with a 12 months contract, free visa and work permit.

If you've got enough time to travel, once you come to Thailand, why don't you look a place you like, print out some sets of your resume and go from school to school. Believe me you'll be successful, as the demand for English, or subject teachers is really high.

When you go to schools, be well dressed, wear a neck tie, polished shoes( Thais do look for certain things),always be polite, never raise your voice, as this is considered impolite.

Wish you really good luck, should you be interested to work in Ubon Ratchathani, a bigger and pretty cool city in lower northeast, please page me. I know quite a lot school directors and head of English departments of primary and high schools.

Another opportunity would be to work at a local Rajabhat university. Best of luck. Do not hesitate to ask any questions you might, or might not have.

Cheers-wai2.gif

With a map you should be able to locate Lampang. I think it's about an hours van ride to CM.

"If I was you I would stay away from any agencies as they will take a % of your wages."

Not true. Their fee is not deducted from the salary you agree to work for.

It's paid by the school you're assigned to work at.

You guys are funny. Even if I got it 100% wrong, no worries. This is just one level above a chat room, and you better have some thick skin at times. Remember not too long ago when a Jewish Mosque was bombed, according to CNN I think. Anyhow, of course it's NOT a Mosque, it's a Church!!! I'm kidding, I've been to many Synagogues so I know the difference. If all our posts were on the front page of CNN, then I might worry a little more.

lostinisaan, you are a good man. keep up the good fight. This United States of American is still looking for options........lol

I have Vespucci on his cell right now!!!!! Or should I be calling Matthias Ringmann or Waldseemuller? Ah, yes I should.

----------------------------------------------boston.com

Why America? Ringmann and Waldseemüller explained their choice in a small companion volume to the map, called “Introduction to Cosmography.” “These parts,” they wrote, referring to Europe, Asia, and Africa, “have in fact now been more widely explored, and a fourth part has been discovered by Amerigo Vespucci....Since both Asia and Africa received their names from women, I do not see why anyone should rightly prevent this from being called Amerigen — the land of Amerigo, as it were — or America, after its discoverer, Americus.

The naming-of-America passage in “Introduction to Cosmography” is rich in precisely the sort of word play Ringmann loved. The key to the passage is the curious name Amerigen, which combines the name Amerigo with the Greek wordgen, or “earth,” to create the meaning “land of Amerigo.” But the name yields other meanings.Gen can also mean “born,” and the word ameroscan mean “new,” suggesting, as many Renaissance observers had begun to hope, that the land of Amerigo was a place where European civilization could go to be reborn — an idea, of course, that still resonates today. The name may also contain a play on meros, a Greek word sometimes translated as “place,” in which case Amerigen would become A-meri-gen, or “No-place-land”: not a bad way to describe a previously unnamed continent whose full extent was still uncertain.

• Like 2

You guys are funny. Even if I got it 100% wrong, no worries. This is just one level above a chat room, and you better have some thick skin at times. Remember not too long ago when a Jewish Mosque was bombed, according to CNN I think. Anyhow, of course it's NOT a Mosque, it's a Church!!! I'm kidding, I've been to many Synagogues so I know the difference. If all our posts were on the front page of CNN, then I might worry a little more.

lostinisaan, you are a good man. keep up the good fight. This United States of American is still looking for options........lol

I have Vespucci on his cell right now!!!!! Or should I be calling Matthias Ringmann or Waldseemuller? Ah, yes I should.

----------------------------------------------boston.com

Why America? Ringmann and Waldseemüller explained their choice in a small companion volume to the map, called “Introduction to Cosmography.” “These parts,” they wrote, referring to Europe, Asia, and Africa, “have in fact now been more widely explored, and a fourth part has been discovered by Amerigo Vespucci....Since both Asia and Africa received their names from women, I do not see why anyone should rightly prevent this from being called Amerigen — the land of Amerigo, as it were — or America, after its discoverer, Americus.

The naming-of-America passage in “Introduction to Cosmography” is rich in precisely the sort of word play Ringmann loved. The key to the passage is the curious name Amerigen, which combines the name Amerigo with the Greek wordgen, or “earth,” to create the meaning “land of Amerigo.” But the name yields other meanings.Gen can also mean “born,” and the word ameroscan mean “new,” suggesting, as many Renaissance observers had begun to hope, that the land of Amerigo was a place where European civilization could go to be reborn — an idea, of course, that still resonates today. The name may also contain a play on meros, a Greek word sometimes translated as “place,” in which case Amerigen would become A-meri-gen, or “No-place-land”: not a bad way to describe a previously unnamed continent whose full extent was still uncertain.

Sorry for the diversion, but you've turned it into a "teachable moment", so my guess is you're going do fine as an ajarn wherever you end up.

If you are Teaching History ... then know that you are from the USA ... not America ... whistling.gif

By the by. If you are going to make yourself the arbiter of what others post on this forum, try to get your facts right.

I'm no arbiter, never profess to be.

As for facts ... show me an 'American Passport'.

Not saying for a second, it's not a common usage term ... it's just not, as you say it ... 'a fact'.

lannarebirth ... I have no idea why you wish to follow me around the Forum and snipe away.

Now, I'm happy to leave the America/Americans/Americas debate for another Forum.

The OP has a right to have his OP answered.

Sadly he hasn't had many replies to date.

EDIT ... puukao ... if you are going to use that extraordinary statement above ... couple of things.

Unless they are your words ... you might consider quoting the reference for the article. 'boston.com' doesn't really cut it.

And be honest about it ... that extract was written as a promotional piece for the author of a soon to be released book ... as the end of that article acknowledges ... Toby Lester is a contributing editor to The Atlantic and the author of ”The Fourth Part of the World,” which comes out in paperback on Tuesday.

Edited by David48

I note one post has been removed and I note some rather obvious trolling.

Stick to the topic. The general rule in the teaching forum is those who go off-topic, start trolling or flaming others get a suspension.

The forum is for and about teaching in Thailand.

If you are Teaching History ... then know that you are from the USA ... not America ... whistling.gif

By the by. If you are going to make yourself the arbiter of what others post on this forum, try to get your facts right.

I'm no arbiter, never profess to be.

As for facts ... show me an 'American Passport'.

Not saying for a second, it's not a common usage term ... it's just not, as you say it ... 'a fact'.

lannarebirth ... I have no idea why you wish to follow me around the Forum and snipe away.

Now, I'm happy to leave the America/Americans/Americas debate for another Forum.

The OP has a right to have his OP answered.

Sadly he hasn't had many replies to date.

EDIT ... puukao ... if you are going to use that extraordinary statement above ... couple of things.

Unless they are your words ... you might consider quoting the reference for the article. 'boston.com' doesn't really cut it.

And be honest about it ... that extract was written as a promotional piece for the author of a soon to be released book ... as the end of that article acknowledges ... Toby Lester is a contributing editor to The Atlantic and the author of ”The Fourth Part of the World,” which comes out in paperback on Tuesday.

certainly you can quote passages on TV without proper recognition. Clearly I'm not going to do footnotes, and if you don't like the paragraph feel free to explore the history of the naming of America on your own. I agree, never 100% believe in what you read. You will learn more if cynical. Of course many times the victors write history and the truth can at times never be known. research, think, and offer another possible explanation. that is how our mind grows.

please try to offer helpful advice to a fellow human looking for helpful advice, thanks.

Edited by puukao
  • Like 1

Back to the topic, the best time to be looking is in march not may as previously suggested. Most schools have already filled their positions by may as that is when the term actually starts. There is another intake in may due to some teachers pulling out at the last minute but the best jobs are to be had in march.

As for teaching social, your best bet is to try international schools, you might find a list for your chosen area on this site. Its never too easy to secure work from outside Thailand and particularly in the tourist hotspots you mentioned, as they always have plenty of prospective teachers knocking on the door.

The best advice I have for you is come with ability to support your self very early and just start introducing yourself.

Someone said that teaching English is generally a very difficult job, I disagree, if you can teach and by that I also mean if you have at least some classroom management skills, then teaching English in thailand is a very easy job. You might want to consider accepting an engligh teaching job first just to have money coming in and then take it from there.

As an example, my school employs English teachers but encourages the teachers to also teach within their respective fields. This may not be very typical but it is anothet possiblity.

Edited by kieran2698
  • Like 1

Start looking for a job, although don't expect to be hired until maybe May, with the first pay cheque coming at the end of May (And likely only being for a half month, as it'd be prorata from when you first started).

Teaching in Thailand you will likely have that "Work/Life balance" that teachers in Farangland find it difficult to find.

When you initially come over, if you're single, then you'll likely be able to save a decent amount of money each month. Although life being life, you'll likely soon find a partner, and unless your partner is also adding to the monthly income, you might soon find that you'll be just paying the bills each month and not really getting ahead.

Which is when you'll need to sacrifice a little bit of that work/life balance in order to take on some additional classes or similar.

So the true key to keeping your work/life balance, is to either stay single, or to find a partner who is willing to share the "work" so that you can both enjoy "life" and maintain that balance. Which I believe is also the secret to work/life balance in Farangland as well (Although I think many people often lose sight of that, and still just focus on the work, mistakenly believing that more money will lead to a better "life").

• Like 1

Well, with the right passport,you should land a job pdq. Does it have to be Thailand?

Neighboring countries offer opportunities as well. The language center I work at wants to hire someone like you (as do dozens of others in Hanoi alone). Just come over and go for it. There are great places up North. But CM is very competitive, JMHO.

I've removed a number of posts, along with replies to them.

If you want to split hairs over whether someone is from America or the USA, go and start a new thread in the Farang Pub to debate the topic. This thread is about something completely different, and thus any "nit picking" posts along these lines are trolling & off topic.

• Like 2