AA and Notriptyline

Sawan Chan 7

I've heard two sides to this - there are some who say you aren't really sober if on any psychoactive drug. Mind you caffeine and nicotine are psychoactive and many oldtimers take them.

I'd say yes, you can get sober whilst on a drug for depression or other mental illness but it may affect your connection with a higher power. Handing you will and life over to the care of God as you understand him, then taking psychoactives is rather hypocritical.

I was told never to take medical advice from AA members unless they were doctors or had experience with the same disorder/drug.

I was taking a drug when coming into the AA program and some said to go cold turkey. Other wiser ones said not to talk about it at meetings but talk to others who had experience coming off it after the meeting. I did and tapered off it successfully.

Good luck!

• Like 1

Sheryl got it right on her first sentence.

Quite a few larger cities in the USA even have AA meetings specifically for recovering alcoholics that are required for medical reasons to take prescription drugs. They're a great opportunity to talk about what's really going on in my life, with no fear. Others who are terminal cancer patients can talk about their narcotic pain meds with the same confidence. But those cities have literally thousands of meetings a week. Bangkok's AA community is much smaller, but a great group of folks.

I'd have to say that none of the guys I've met at AA meetings in BKK have been judgmental about anything I've said- about prescriptions drugs, or even that thing with the chicken. Not to say I've met them all, but so what?

I'd recommend going for it if alcohol is causing problems in your life. Talk about your prescriptions when you're ready. If anyone gets judgmental, just love them anyway. What others think about me...is none of my business.

On a personal note, it's pretty amazing to me that the first thing folks do to the new guys at a meeting is to hand them a caffeine delivery system, and that's after they've offered to light up their nicotine delivery system before the meeting even starts. But ciggies and coffee aren't causing problems in their lives, alcohol is...

Welcome!

Edited by impulse
  • Like 2

The only requirement to attend AA is a desire to stop drinking. Full stop.

As to whether it is "OK" or a good idea to take nortriptyline, that is something you will have to decide for yourself in consultation with your doctor.

i think a lot depends on why the drug was prescribed. This medication has a wide variety of uses.

Sorry Sheryl but the third tradition says the only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking.

As for are you sober well that is a personal decision. I would say it should be based on your need for the drug. AA doesn't really say one way or the other. They have what is called singleness of purpose just help you get of alcohol.

Many do use the AA program for other drugs. Some go to NA where they do include all drugs but take no stand on a doctors prescription if it is needed it is needed. Just don't abuse it.. There are those who smoke Marijuana and claim to be sober.

For myself I would not be sober but if they say they are then I will say they are. I will not impose my belief on them.

You will meet some people in AA who will tell you glibly to get off this drug immediately and charge their advice with emotive challenges to your sobriety. They will disregard potential consequences and in some parts of the world this has landed the fellowship in deep trouble. If this medication is prescribed by your doctor then it's a decision you and s/he should make when it is appropriate and not as a result of casual conversation with equally casual acquaintances you make in the rooms.

• Like 2

The only requirement to attend AA is a desire to stop drinking. Full stop.

As to whether it is "OK" or a good idea to take nortriptyline, that is something you will have to decide for yourself in consultation with your doctor.

i think a lot depends on why the drug was prescribed. This medication has a wide variety of uses.

Agree 110%. I am no Dr and would never presume to judge the validity of medical treatment. A Dr should always be aware and fully informed of one's addiction to mitigate risks.

Pain medication DOES cause relapse very frequently from what I've seen in 29 years. Just a note... proceed with caution if anyone's using pain meds.

There, but for the grace of God, go I.

I've given up the booze for 1 month but still smoke dope and take 20mg of Notriptyline a day, which I don't think is a lot.

I've always been into ganja and it really is medicinal. The booze I just can't handle but the AA meeting I went to a few times in Arizona said that I MUST quit the grass. I don't smoke a lot just a tiny bit in the evenings to help me sleep.

Would I be able to find a sponsor that allows the use of other medicines or would I be better to try some of the other alcohol programs.?

AA has no rules. Give it a go. It is only about alcohol, however, some of the steps require letting a higher power into your life, which dope makes harder, unless you are a rastafarian biggrin.png Remember nobody can kick you out an AA meeting or give you any medical advice.

The founder of AA took pills all his life and also LSD! We are all different.

• Like 1

I've given up the booze for 1 month but still smoke dope and take 20mg of Notriptyline a day, which I don't think is a lot.

I've always been into ganja and it really is medicinal. The booze I just can't handle but the AA meeting I went to a few times in Arizona said that I MUST quit the grass. I don't smoke a lot just a tiny bit in the evenings to help me sleep.

Would I be able to find a sponsor that allows the use of other medicines or would I be better to try some of the other alcohol programs.?

I don't believe in smoking pot but when it comes to AA it is OK the only chemical we deal with is alcohol. If some one wants you to stop and you want them as a sponsor give it a thought. I don't like to see people do it but some of the people I know it doesn't seem to bother. I have seen others smoke it for years and wind up joining Narcotics Anonymous to get off it. We are all different and all have opinions but AA has no opinion on other drugs.

On another note I have not followed it up very closely but I am under the understanding that they are now modifying pot in various ways to help out with certain diseases and not have much affect on the mind. I don't know it is up to each and every ones own decision. I can not say one way or the other but for me it is a no no.