Agency Scam - can they be stopped?

Hello,

About 2 years ago I posted here about hell me and my girlfriend went through to fix our visa situation after we got scammed by a teachers agency. Topic here: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/582541-dishonest-work-agency-visa-problem/

Now, two years later, I learn that a mate of mine got scammed in almost exactly the same way by the exact same agency, same people working under a different name. They didn't even move their office and are still located opposite of Don Muang Airport. Story as usual - promises of WP and Non B visa, asking for more patience, no salary, lots of stress.

I googled the agency's name and the search engine came up with a bunch of complains form other scammed teachers.

My question is - is there anything that can be done to stop them? It's been going on for years and I can only imagine how many people got scammed by these frauds. I fixed my problems with the help of DOL, got my money back but lost a lot of nerves and time.

But can something be done to stop this for good? Any thoughts?

• Like 1

It is my understanding that posting 100% accurate information about a company scamming people or the government could sue you damages from your information.

I saw a thread a guy discovered his girlfriend had a bf in her hometown and put a post on her Facebook. He has to go to the police to take care of the problem.

Interesting that they changed their name. Maybe changed because of Internet comments.

I think you are not looking for money but want to protect other people

Sorry you and your pal were scammed by these resourceful shrewd business people...I doubt you will receive much sympathy from the Thai judicial system since much of Thailand's economy is based on false claims and scams...IMHO...

I remember there were some guys who worked for a well- known agency, based in Bangkok and got really ripped off. They were all connected, took a lawyer and won the lawsuit they'd filed against the agency.

It's really time for a "Foreign Teacher Association Thailand." Salaries go down, instead of up, the methods of some agencies are unfortunately very questionable, as all they want is to make good money.

Then the "ginn tang" (money eating) directors of schools, who do not care about students' education at all.

Power doesn't corrupt people, people corrupt power. -wai.gif

Some posts, along with any replies to them, have been removed for trolling.

Regarding the topic, the Department of Labour can sort out the employment issue to get you your salary etc back, and if you wanted to do more, then it'd need to be referred to the police, as if they're almost definitely breaking a law of some description (Although it might be laws which the police only selectively enforce).

If there were a group of people who all complained, then they might take it seriously, but even then, I don't know how much headway you'd get. And if you did, you'd likely need a fluent Thai speaker to do most communication with the police, to have all documents etc translated into Thai, and to probably hound them a little about followups etc, and of course you'd need the police to actually be honest, and to not simply come to an arrangement with the company concerned.

The other option of course, would be to contact a Thai newspaper or television show, or even share your story (In Thai) via social media (Without naming names, as they'd be against the law), as that's the sort of thing which leads to a crackdown by the NCPO. Thai TV investigative news shows often have Thai women on TV who have fallen for various scams, e.g. when they've been tricked out of money via online dating or I saw one recently about the "Share" schemes, which quite regularly turn sour. But unless you experienced a "newsworthy" loss of funds, can speak Thai semi fluently and are agitated enough to really do something about it, then this probably isn't realistically going to happen.

Some posts, along with any replies to them, have been removed for trolling.

Regarding the topic, the Department of Labour can sort out the employment issue to get you your salary etc back, and if you wanted to do more, then it'd need to be referred to the police, as if they're almost definitely breaking a law of some description (Although it might be laws which the police only selectively enforce).

If there were a group of people who all complained, then they might take it seriously, but even then, I don't know how much headway you'd get. And if you did, you'd likely need a fluent Thai speaker to do most communication with the police, to have all documents etc translated into Thai, and to probably hound them a little about followups etc, and of course you'd need the police to actually be honest, and to not simply come to an arrangement with the company concerned.

The other option of course, would be to contact a Thai newspaper or television show, or even share your story (In Thai) via social media (Without naming names, as they'd be against the law), as that's the sort of thing which leads to a crackdown by the NCPO. Thai TV investigative news shows often have Thai women on TV who have fallen for various scams, e.g. when they've been tricked out of money via online dating or I saw one recently about the "Share" schemes, which quite regularly turn sour. But unless you experienced a "newsworthy" loss of funds, can speak Thai semi fluently and are agitated enough to really do something about it, then this probably isn't realistically going to happen.

Or just forget about it and move on and learn through your mistakes. There'll always be takers and givers.

File complaint with NCPO, they might be interested.

Could you please explain what the NCPO is, they do and how to get in touch with them. Thanks a lot in advance.

How can you live in Thailand and not know this. The NCPO (National Council for Peace and Order) are the folks running the country for several months now.

https://www.facebook.com/PeaceandOrderMaintainingCommand

http://rfm2.mod.go.th/Home.aspx

Or try the consumer protection board.

http://complain.ocpb.go.th/

The complaint website above has bugs, making it impossible to submit a complaint. Another sly Thai solution?

File complaint with NCPO, they might be interested.

Could you please explain what the NCPO is, they do and how to get in touch with them. Thanks a lot in advance.

How can you live in Thailand and not know this. The NCPO (National Council for Peace and Order) are the folks running the country for several months now.

https://www.facebook.com/PeaceandOrderMaintainingCommand

http://rfm2.mod.go.th/Home.aspx

Or try the consumer protection board.

http://complain.ocpb.go.th/

The complaint website above has bugs, making it impossible to submit a complaint. Another sly Thai solution?

To make any complains about anything seems to be similar to believe a foreigner who fell in love with a bar girl that his girl friend isn't like the others.

Or what a bright American I've met did to rip off his insurance in a Bangkok apartment. Better said..tried to do.......

He phoned the cops, told them what went missing, cops searched for mentioned items and found them all. Including his weed, he'd just bought.

And it wasn't just for two spliffs...... a lot of greenbacks saved him.

The solution is pretty easy. Do what the Thais do and don't complain. Just forget about your loss and move on. Life's really too short to waste too much time.

Just say NO. If more and more hitch hiking backpackers would stop working for agencies, making peanuts and having visa/work permit and other serious issues, they'd be out of business pretty fast.

Just say no and don't look back. An old native American saying.....coffee1.gif

Edited by lostinisaan
  • Like 2