Surge of reported police harassment suggests campaign targeting tourists, expats

webfact

I can confirm between Nana and Asoke station I've noticed too many police officers all staring at me (maybe trying to find an excuse to ask for passport and initiate harrasment). I definitely not felt safer then before!

That is a different police area, nothing to do with Thonglor police or this thread about Thonglor police. As you were not harrassed maybe the Lumpini police that cover the area you mentioned are simply doing their job looking for suspicious activity?

• Replies 850
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can confirm between Nana and Asoke station I've noticed too many police officers all staring at me (maybe trying to find an excuse to ask for passport and initiate harrasment). I definitely not felt safer then before!

That is a different police area, nothing to do with Thonglor police or this thread about Thonglor police. As you were not harrassed maybe the Lumpini police that cover the area you mentioned are simply doing their job looking for suspicious activity?

Not so sure as some of the posted stories are about Terminal 21, and the Robinsons. Both between Asoke and Nana.

Edited by impulse

I'm waiting for one of the law firms that advertise here to offer a helpline number that people can call for help when this happens + start a lawsuit for illegal search and detention against the Police.

What the police are doing, i.e. searching people for illicit items is not illegal.

I'm waiting for one of the law firms that advertise here to offer a helpline number that people can call for help when this happens + start a lawsuit for illegal search and detention against the Police.

What the police are doing, i.e. searching people for illicit items is not illegal.

Without geniue suspision?

According to a lawyer's advice it is only legal if they have a checkpoint clearly signaled and a certain high ranking officer present. This is not what has been happening.

What a load of naive rubbish. Yesterday were reports of 70 year old Indian couples being scammed by these mafia-in-brown. Is this the first you've seen of this story? How can you possibly spout nonsense that it's backpackers and tourists when most of the reports are of perfectly respectably-dressed EXPATS going about legitimate business? Everything you've said is ignorant of all that's been reported so far. In fact, you actually sound like a parrot working for the brown mafia.

This... is... not... about... drugs...

This is about going after a vulnerable section of society who are easy marks for cash. Foreigners have few connections, few rights and - a lot of the time - little knowledge (same as you) of Thailand and thus they are ripe for the picking by the fecal mafia.

"This is about going after a vulnerable section of society who are easy marks for cash."

But you will only be a member of that "vulnerable section of society" if you have illegal drugs in your system, or on your person, and if you do fall into that category you only have yourself to blame.

Edited by Sviss Geez

It is not only Asoke. I am missing Ekamai Bus Station. In August I witnessed personal a very ugly searching of tourists. Two policeman, the backpacks and clothes on the floor and the (white, young) tourists have to take everything out. It looked like a routine check, but was a very shameful picture. I passed quick and to be honest never go back to Ekamai.

Thank you very much about every update and post from Asoke, Thong Lor.

If I will see this kind of police check again, I will try to make a video clip. Today I am sure that my watching was not an accident.

It's been happening at Ekkamai for years. They normally target the Pattaya buses. Again, they are looking for drugs, particulary unprescribed ED medication.

what about the million CCTV camera's in the country, none of them to record those scammers & put online or at least to shame ?

What scammers? They are not scammers, if you are doing nothing illegal you have no need to be concerned about being searched.

Are you for real?

Just because you want the Thai police to ass search you doesn´t mean it is ok for others.

What if they plant a yaba pill in your pocket???

bah.gifbah.gifbah.gif

"What if they plant a yaba pill in your pocket???"

They're not doing that though, are they?

What a load of naive rubbish. Yesterday were reports of 70 year old Indian couples being scammed by these mafia-in-brown. Is this the first you've seen of this story? How can you possibly spout nonsense that it's backpackers and tourists when most of the reports are of perfectly respectably-dressed EXPATS going about legitimate business? Everything you've said is ignorant of all that's been reported so far. In fact, you actually sound like a parrot working for the brown mafia.

This is about going after a vulnerable section of society who are easy marks for cash. Foreigners have few connections, few rights and - a lot of the time - little knowledge (same as you) of Thailand and thus they are ripe for the picking by the fecal mafia.

"This is about going after a vulnerable section of society who are easy marks for cash."

But you will only be a member of that "vulnerable section of society" if you have illegal drugs in your system, or on your person, and if you do fall into that category you only have yourself to blame.

Sorry I have to disagree with you. For someone visiting here for the first time this was intimidating, both my work mates were well dressed and very easy targets. Did not look like drugs users... One is in his 50s the other 30s and to be honest probably looked like they had a few baht in their pocket.

Giving these guys a hard time does not go well with keeping the many thai staff here in jobs.

Sent from my c64

Not true.

These money hungry scoundrels will plant drugs or just claim you tested positive.

Now, there are reports of them taking 2,000Bt bribes to avoid the shakedown.

So, where is the Prime Minister on this? I am surprised not to hear anything, because I know he is against corruption.

This is not corruption, it's the police doing what they are entitled to do. They are searching people and if all is in order you're on your way.

what if you live in Oregon or Colorado or just came from Amsterdam?

Does this mean you must refrain from your norml life for 30 days

before coming to Thailand for fear of testing positive for something legal?

Of course it does, yes. Having illegal substances in your blood whilst you are in Thailand is illegal.

Hmmmm...for all of those that welcomed the military coup and think the military run government is better than a elected government......well then..... this is part of what has evolved.

I have never seen nor heard of this level of activity in 35 years coming to Thailand and 25 years living here.

I would surmise the police have been somewhat encouraged and or emboldened by the military officials that have let it be known that things are going to change while the police are shifting their policing activities towards preventative police enforcement activities that look good for the record...but add up to near useless enforcement activities that allow all too many police officers to do their job as required....... but...... at the same time, allowing them to extort money from as many foreigners as they can while performing their said to be justified police work.

Given some time, more than likely the higher ranking police officers in charge of police officers on the street will be told to back off and leave the foreigners alone.

Until then the police officers that are stopping foreigners and shaking them down are opportunistic weasels while hiding behind the guise of said to be necessary police enforcement activities.

Meantime on last Wednesday, one friend told me he was on a motor bike on Sukumvite and while at the intersection of Asoke, waiting for the light to turn green 2 police officers approached him and asked him to get off the Bike and asking for his passport.

He told me he started shouting at them in Thai language and asking them why they are bothering him and telling them he lives here for 30 years and he is totally legit and does not carry his passport around with him as there is no need to and pulled out his cell phone while telling the officers he is phoning his lawyer while they were saying: "We are Thai police"... with him shouting at them saying: "I do not care and you have no reason to harass me...go arrest the Thai criminals and leave the foreigners alone"

They just walked away realizing they picked the wrong foreigner that particular time.

But you can imagine they single out other foreigners and when they quickly learn he is or she is a tourist and can not speak a word of Thai .....ahhhhh...... bonaza....."money comes our way"...knowing that most foreigners are going to be intimidated by 2 police officers and easily comply with the demands and or requests of the police officers while the officers are manipulating the situation and steering the affair towards money exchanging hands at some point during the course of events.

So.. there are some easy marks and some not so easy marks and then some marks ..like my friend, they realize they should not press the issue on this particular mark any further and walk away and start looking for a new mark.

Cheers

Edited by gemguy

So, where is the Prime Minister on this? I am surprised not to hear anything, because I know he is against corruption.

This is not corruption, it's the police doing what they are entitled to do. They are searching people and if all is in order you're on your way.

In most cases you are absolutely right. However the potential for extortion is still there.

To be fair it's been going on for years and years. And- anecdotal evidence ahoy- myself and everyone I know who's been stopped and searched has just had that- no demands for payments, or bribes. That said, it's a total invasion of privacy, they're clearly chucking as much mud against the wall and hoping something will stick, an escalation is worrying and saying "if you've done nothing wrong, you've nothing to fear" is missing the point.

People who say Im happy to take pee test are deluded.

If that would be geniue test then no prob.

Thing is theres reports of them planting drugs or faking test results...

Anyway where else what country police test people specialy tourists on the streets.

Theres reports of 72 years old couple being tested, whats the point of that?

"Thing is theres reports of them planting drugs or faking test results..."

Can you give just one substantiated example of that?

To be fair it's been going on for years and years. And- anecdotal evidence ahoy- myself and everyone I know who's been stopped and searched has just had that- no demands for payments, or bribes. That said, it's a total invasion of privacy, they're clearly chucking as much mud against the wall and hoping something will stick, an escalation is worrying and saying "if you've done nothing wrong, you've nothing to fear" is missing the point.

People who say Im happy to take pee test are deluded.

If that would be geniue test then no prob.

Thing is theres reports of them planting drugs or faking test results...

Anyway where else what country police test people specialy tourists on the streets.

Theres reports of 72 years old couple being tested, whats the point of that?

"Thing is theres reports of them planting drugs or faking test results..."

Can you give just one substantiated example of that?

Any attorney will tell you that is true.

My attorney told me that. He said the cops will have hotel staff plant drugs in your room and things like that.

The US Embassy told me never go to the police station alone and keep in the public area. They know what can happen when a crooked cop targets a helpless foreigner.

Thai Police just doing their job? Total B.S.

They are letting drug addicts walk for a 2,000Bt bribe.

Others that have a lawyers phone number are being told to just go away. Forget we harassed you.

This is aggressive targeting & shakedown of tourists by criminals with police protection.

I'm not condoning their tactics, but there is a drug problem in Bangkok and there are farang dealers and users.

To put on an analysts hat for a moment, Police are under tremendous pressure (outright attack) by the junta as they clearly the alternative powerbase, it would be in their interest to keep the negative trend going on the tourist numbers. Not that they would necessarily make it a policy but it would make sense that the "message" is that its perfectly fine to do this.

I think whatever the analysis you have to keep in mind that the Police and the government are on opposite sides and the Junta doesn't get them "onside" by replacing its command and going after those at the top. I wonder if Kho Tao is actually caught up in that a bit as everybody is saying the "government's" position doesn't make sense, but it the Police that set that in motion....

But heck, really sad to see this all happening. That one video of a random bag check is seriously bad news for that level of low spenders but high volume feeds the lower/middle class of the country, the elites are the one's collecting on the 5 star profits....and again one major incident against Chinese and that will be shut down overnight.

It is illegal if they don't follow their own laws for search and seizure which, amongst other things, include the necessity of having a Police officer of a certain rank present ( Police Sub Leuitenant or above) clearly written signs must be in place stating it's a stop and search area, and the officer conducting the search must give you his name, rank, number, the station he operates from and the reason you have been stopped.

If any if these are incorrect, it's an illegal search.

If it does happen to you, don't make a fuss or get angry, but immediately call a lawyer or a friend, try to get a passing foreigner to act as a witness on the spot, refuse to be searched on the spot and insist it happens at the Police station with a witness present, and never, ever sign anything unless your lawyer says to do so.

I advise everybody to log into TripAdvisor, Expedia, Agoda and other travel sites.

It is now way too dangerous to stay in the hotels in the Sukhumvit area because of police harassment.

Let other travelers know whats happening in Thailand.

A week or so ago I'd clicked on a link to TripAdvisor, provided by a poster on this forum re some nefarious activity or other here and up came the 'blocked' page. So don't bother dry.png

If i remember correct this is Thailand not your home country. If you obey the laws, do not cause problems, not over staying your visa, being obnoxious and disrespectful to the Thais or their customs you should have nothing to worry about. Never in all the years living here had any problems when i was stopped at a police road block. Show respect to the Thais, learn to speak some Thai if you plan to stay here for any length of time, don,t dress like a slob, don,t walk around drunk with beer in hand, no problems.

The apologists must be local Thais or really brain dead. For someone to think its a good thing for tourist to be stopped at random and piss tested is insane. Without reasonable cause it is a violation of a persons personal freedom. I have been done twice in this area, totally clean after an exhaustive search. So for the apologists that say it has never happened to them, go put your head it the sand. It happens frequently, read these posts. Thailand is becoming very xenophobic, whereas it at least used to hide it behind fake smiles. No more, we are not welcome here.with every successive government, there is more protectionism and anti foreigner attitude. This country is truly moving backwards, so sad, because with a forward looking and progressive attitude, it could advance quickly. But that is not in the interests of those in power, wealth.

This is continued Outrageous behavior by

the bib,s.

We as TV members should use every facility

available to inform incoming tourists of what treatment they

can expect to receive when they arrive in the

big City

Forced ad hoc searches,being bundled into

Vans or cars forcibly.

And last but not least, being assualted by having

them pressing your bladder,without your consent,

without confirming if you have any urinary tract

conditions,such as kidney stones,etc.

So, the outside world needs to be urgently

informed,and I feel the best way to do this is by

posting on booking sites,the humiliation ,indignites,and inconvenience that can be expected when visiting!!!!!

Whilst what you say is true, would the policeman know about it?

If he did, would it make any difference to his behaviour?

Is your Thai good enough to fully argue the point?

What really worries me is reading so many different posters suggesting that the BiB may plant something or alter the result of a pee test!

That really gives me an uneasy feeling.

A previous poster mentioned that many countries issue long term foreigners with an ID card.

I've had one for Spain and it has to be renewed every 5 years.

The ID number is used all the time.

There are no 90 day reports but you must register your address with your local town hall.

Everything is on computer, country wide and I have no problem with it.

When I was working in Taiwan almost 50 years ago, we were issued with a black passport and instructed to carry it with us at all times. We were working in the mountains in the middle of nowhere. Still we were occasionally stopped in the street of a tiny nearby village and taken to a police station and interrogated. At the time, they were very worried about infiltration by the Chinese and wanted to know everything about the foreigners in their jurisdiction. Once the officers got to know us, they just nodded and that was that.

What I am reading here though does not seem to be based on security but more on extracting money from gullible foreigners.

Perhaps someone would like to post the embassy numbers for Al foreign embassies in Thailand and pin it?

From previous threads, I got the impression that to get a job/promotion in the police force, the Thai had to pay for the privilege.

The pay is small but the tea money is big.

They got used to high levels of tea money and the army has made severe inroads into it, street vendors, happy ending, stop the music in bars etc.

I guess what we are seeing is a direct result of these crackdowns.

Maybe someone had to borrow money to pay for the job/promotion and the loan shark must be paid?

The salary won't do it!

How many police men do you observe living way beyond their means in your moo Baan?

Perhaps someone would like to post the embassy numbers for Al foreign embassies in Thailand and pin it?

I think it's a good idea. Also if they try to force you to give an urine sample or search you and you feel harassed, it's a good idea to ask to speak with your embassy before with your phone, or with your lawyer (if you're not a tourist).

This is a comprehensive list of embassy and consulates in Thailand with their phone numbers and other contacts:

http://embassy.goabroad.com/embassies-in/thailand

I always carry original and valid id. I don't do drug, prostitute or alcohol. If police want pee test or ass search, I am happy to comply. After all, it is their duty to keep alien safe, and not be drug, rape or murdered like the 2 brits in Koh tao.

You want ass check? Alien?

You arent real?

If i remember correct this is Thailand not your home country. If you obey the laws, do not cause problems, not over staying your visa, being obnoxious and disrespectful to the Thais or their customs you should have nothing to worry about. Never in all the years living here had any problems when i was stopped at a police road block. Show respect to the Thais, learn to speak some Thai if you plan to stay here for any length of time, don,t dress like a slob, don,t walk around drunk with beer in hand, no problems.

While I agree with you on most of the points, I think your thoughts do not apply to cases where foreigners are harassed, like that elderly couple from India harassed and forced to give an urine sample... That's against any logic and against even human rights.

RTP respects people and they will have respect back from everyone.