Surge of reported police harassment suggests campaign targeting tourists, expats

webfact

I am touching wood as I type (get your minds out of the gutter), but the Thai police have never caused me even the faintest discomfort. I have dealt with them in public, as well as in relation to a more serious matter, and they have led me to further exclaim Thailand as "The Kingdom."

I understand this doesn't help, but I rarely drink alcohol, live very simply, and try to behave like a guest, rather than someone who is entitled. Anyway, let's see what happens next ...

• Replies 850
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am touching wood as I type (get your minds out of the gutter), but the Thai police have never caused me even the faintest discomfort. I have dealt with them in public, as well as in relation to a more serious matter, and they have led me to further exclaim Thailand as "The Kingdom."

I understand this doesn't help, but I rarely drink alcohol, live very simply, and try to behave like a guest, rather than someone who is entitled. Anyway, let's see what happens next ...

But do you touch wood also when walking around near Asoke and still not attract the attention of the police

They just don't want tourist anymore !

Everyday another attempt to stop tourists from choosing Thailand as a travel destination.....

Yep, I swear they fail to realize that without tourism this country would wither and die.

Oh please. From the CIA fact book:

field_listing_on.gif
rice, cassava (manioc, tapioca), rubber, corn, sugarcane, coconuts, soybeans
field_listing_on.gif
tourism, textiles and garments, agricultural processing, beverages, tobacco, cement, light manufacturing such as jewelry and electric appliances, computers and parts, integrated circuits, furniture, plastics, automobiles and automotive parts; world's second-largest tungsten producer and third-largest tin producer
exports of goods and services: 70.6%
imports of goods and services: -66.6%
(2013 est.)
They're the largest auto manufacturer in SE Asia and the 7th largest auto exporter in the world.

Warn visiting friends and relatives visiting about this action so they can protect themselves.

Had same thoght myself then suddenly remembered recent reports about arresting lady boys in Patts, whereby the local police there , were recruiting farangs to post as prospective clients for pros[ective sexual propositions. Maybe a similar situation in these cases.

--- So the corrupt police who no longer can make their "Tea Money" from the massage parlors or charging clubs that choose to stay open beyond the 2 o'clock curfew (some would rake in over $1000 a night) are blaming the farangs for their lack on income or using them to supplement their income. What happened to the junta that was looking over the BIB's shoulders?

ATTENTION:

We need to brainstorm and find a resolution to stop these harassment from the Thonglor Police! So, what can we do, any suggestions? Does anyone has a connection with CNN, Fox news or Huffpost? We should let the world know about the harassments involving tourists and expats in Bangkok from Thonglor Police Department!

Do what I have done....surf the net for all the major newspapers in the world...set their email addresses up as a "News Group" in your address contacts (that way you only need tab "news Group" and they are all appear in your "to box"

Then tab "forward" on ANY ARTICLE you want to send...(such as this one)...and the "news" gets spread real quick

for those who have taken issue with my comments , i pretty much hit the nail on the head then , as most of you in the boonies are doing what i say...you have totally missed the point, Asoke area up to TongLor is a tourist area with Terminal 21 etc (for all the boonie people this is a big shopping mall at the interchange of asoke) Makasan airport link etc MRT and bts stations....Tourists are being targeted for WHAT?..because they are walking around shopping at 2pm in the afternoon yeah they must be pee tested as a precaution of what exactly....drinking too much red bull

I understand that 30 years up in the far corners is NOT mid town BKK (a tourist transit for many)...and I have also been living in this mad house for well over that period of time mostly in BKK at the very area being discussed; so i guess I have more right to comment than some 60/70+ year olds in UT who come down once every 2-3 years

I over all my years here have been stopped twice once on soi 23 2 am in the morning by 2 police who were basically out for cash and once on Khao san rd at 11am (this was a total street frisk down and no reason given, I was with the wife at the time) no passports asked for either time

carry on coffee1.gif

So who is this English guy?

“Then this English guy crosses the road and says ‘You’ve been acting suspicious ... I want to see your passport,'” he recounted."

Since when can Brits, or indeed any other foreigner, ask to see a passport?

Maybe the English guy was merely translating..

We've never been welcomed here. Only tolerated because of our money. Money is the only thing these crooks are after. Don't ever let them search you. If they are really interested in enforcing the law, i will gladly drop off a mirror so they have a clue where to start.

To say that we have never been welcomed here is the understatement of the century.coffee1.gif

Not really. Our money has always been #1.

Strangely enough, this summer, the Spanish were offering tourists an official - police copy of their passport so they can carry that and avoid having the real one stolen. I didn't check on the cost and don't know if the service is still available.

Perhaps it would be nice if the RTP could offer that?

Also make it about credit card size so it fits in the pocket easily?

It is law in many countries that visitors must carry their passport at all times.

If carrying your actual passport,wrap it in something waterproof because it only needs a little wetting to render the passport useless!

Then you are into the additional waste of time and extra cost of an emergency passport, a replacement once you get home etc.

A royal pain in the bum!

there is no law in any country that you have to carry your passport,

All 190 of them?

Thailand......Land of smiles .....will soon be a DEAD touristdestination !! The way authorities are acting nobody wants to go there...what is happening......it is crazy !! My wife is Thai......but I dont want to go there anymore....2 nd year in a row I cancelled our trips...too bad !!!

I was just saying to my partner today that the police don't have to be corrupt to make good money. There is so many things happening right in front of them each and everyday they could probably rack up a lot more money doing the right thing. Just as an example how much could they make for fining people not wearing helmets (passenger included), driving on the wrong side of the road, crossing double lines, cutting corners, driving and riding dangerously, unroadworthy vehicles, not stopping at pedestrian crossings, not stopping at red lights, failure to indicate, driving with un-care due and attention and the list goes on and on. If they cracked down on this they would make much much more money and make the road much much safer as well.

I used this example to point out to my partner just how much could be made each time we saw something on our short drive. In less than 10min, I could have racked up close to 20,000 baht without doing anything other than fining those actually doing something wrong.

You mean the fines paid will be kept by the policeman? How can he make 20000 in less than ten minutes?

ATTENTION:

We need to brainstorm and find a resolution to stop these harassment from the Thonglor Police! So, what can we do, any suggestions? Does anyone has a connection with CNN, Fox news or Huffpost? We should let the world know about the harassments involving tourists and expats in Bangkok from Thonglor Police Department!

Ever here of something called "CopBlock"? Check them out on Facebook/Youtube. Start that up in Thailand, perhaps with Thai's doing the copblocking. Its rather effective.

Here's a theory and it is only a theory;-

1. It is often reported in the media that the BIB support he whom resides in Dubai and his entourage.

2. There has been a recent case of one top BIB and his entourage being defamed very recently under the new powers that be.

3. The present powers that be want to encourage quality tourists to LOS

4. Is it not therefore possible, that the BIB are giving a sort of backhanded message in the manner of , up yours matey!! , we will do everything we can to counteract everything you are trying to do, to recover tourism , until we get some sort of parity with what you are all now getting away with ???

Could it be that organised ???

Just a possible theory.

So, where is the Prime Minister on this? I am surprised not to hear anything, because I know he is against corruption.

What's he going to do? Replace the RTP with his little pinky?

He could do what he elected himself to do, and that is address corruption. He could fire any officers who are seen doing this.

Strangely enough, this summer, the Spanish were offering tourists an official - police copy of their passport so they can carry that and avoid having the real one stolen. I didn't check on the cost and don't know if the service is still available.

It is law in many countries that visitors must carry their passport at all times.

If carrying your actual passport,wrap it in something waterproof because it only needs a little wetting to render the passport useless!

Then you are into the additional waste of time and extra cost of an emergency passport, a replacement once you get home etc.

A royal pain in the bum!

I once forgot that my passport was in my shorts pocket and went for a dip in the sea....after a little rinse and drying in the sun it was as good as new and works to this day. So maybe not bombproof but certainly waterproof

A royal pain in the bum!

there is no law in any country that you have to carry your passport,

there is a law that you have to indentify yourselve, so you can use your ID card or Driver License, International Driver License

for foreigner living here Thai Driver license is enough because all data are on the DL,

only if you are supected to comitted a crime or your ID is not correct they can force you for passport.

even Thai bank accept DL for indentification, they give me a new VisaCard in Koh Samui even my branch is in Chiang Mai,

i had only DL with me and bankbook,

dont scare too much when meet police,

Wrong. Very dangerous mis-information.

A sweeping statement.

Can you back it up with any legal references.

In the absence of any such evidence I am inclined to go along with the statement from ChickenrunCM.

Are you kidding? If you had some drugs placed in your pocket in SE Asia by the police, do you honestly believe you'd have the slightest bit of luck making a fuss about legal references in another language, while they shout and intimidate you with everything they've got? You're joking.

Could have been a genuine investigation but i doubt it. Sounds like a lucky escape. Good thing he didnt sign that document. Sounds like a blatant extortion tactic piss in this you have drugs in your system how long do you want to be in lock up and how much are you willing to pay to get out. Better empty your account before it goes to the media and judges. Or maybe ive heard too many stories and read too many books, and its just intimidation and abuse of power. Did hear that they were making people pee in cups earlier today between thonglor and phrom pong or maybe back toward prakhanong.

I will start new business. Fake portable piss made from water and fish sauce, u carry it on u at all times if they ask u to pee u just pour it so if it comes

Positive u laugh at them and shkw them fake piss 55

Any orders?

How long can this thread go??? will it be a new record??

If one looks at the length of various TV threads it becomes obvious what makes what subjects are dear to most TV members.

check out , renewing a british passport???

Here's a theory and it is only a theory;-

1. It is often reported in the media that the BIB support he whom resides in Dubai and his entourage.

2. There has been a recent case of one top BIB and his entourage being defamed very recently under the new powers that be.

3. The present powers that be want to encourage quality tourists to LOS

4. Is it not therefore possible, that the BIB are giving a sort of backhanded message in the manner of , up yours matey!! , we will do everything we can to counteract everything you are trying to do, to recover tourism , until we get some sort of parity with what you are all now getting away with ???

Could it be that organised ???

Just a possible theory.

You're not the first to post this idea, not just in this particular thread. I'm afraid to say your theory doesn't hold much water. If this were really the case it would not be just one or two (Thonglor and Lumphini) police stations doing it.

Likewise, this is also why the police do not have this as a general policy throughout Thailand, and thus it's surely related to corruption within these two precincts.

-

Now for my theory. Let's see if someone can discount it, or we can know we're on the right track....

Maybe this boils down to particular individuals who have spent years encouraging their officers to shake down foreigners, probably due to their station's location where they get lots of 'passing trade' (ie. easy marks).

As to why these particular individuals chose this route towards financing their mia nois, yet police in other districts with lots of tourists or expats did not, well I can only guess it's down to levels of corruption and/or a personal preference as to the source of income.

Perhaps it might be enlightening to research just which individuals have held the power at these cop shops over the years.

Archived