Surge of reported police harassment suggests campaign targeting tourists, expats

webfact

The martial law thing is irrelevant. It's wrong to be randomly searched and made to piss in a cup, especially with the drug testing machine so unreliable and such dire consequences for a false positive. Just because this offends me does not make me a neo-sahib or a Thai basher! I don't think Thailand 'owes me' something except to be treated with a shred of dignity.

If you don't agree that you deserve to be treated with dignity then you are saying no visitors or immigrants to any country deserve any rights or respect. That's a hell of a thing to believe - and it's nationalism at its worst.

Edited by BudRight

• Replies 850
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

of little interest to the ignorant fools that have gone native and live in the booonies of nakon nowhere ...BUT lets not forget that many Genuine tourists transit thro bkk for a few days and they fear this kind of abuse by any law enforcement as this is the natorious far east and being forced to sign any bull that is made up on that day of a little pill slipped into your shirt pocket can DESTROY your life/////..but hey thailand is perfect isnt it fools

Just curious as to why folks going native living in the boonies are ignorant.

People who are disbelieving this goes on in certain locations and always has are frankly naive at best.

So what if the one time youve been down a road nothing has happened, dosnt mean all the other times your not there its just as quiet.

Come on people look around you and accept that Thailand is rapidly changing and on the downhill slope, especially where foreigners are concerned.

Dosnt matter the reasons but the fact is times have changed and the party is all but over, many long timers I know have been taking stock and reassessing their options over the last few years me included. Many have left for good others are on the way out, most are where possible cobbling up a plan B in the event things turn even worse.

Thailand has had the ultimate identity crisis going on for some time and things are falling apart as it continues to reel with no moral direction or symbol, this isnt going to improve in the near term either. It continues to resist progress and refuses to adopt international standards whilst becoming less competitive, more expensive and worse in quality.

When they start harassing tourists in the capital or in an area that tourism is a main focus its time to wake up and smell the coffee, those here that keep their head in the sand because it dosnt fit their ideal or local moo baan and that if it hasnt happened to them it must be untrue are only fooling themselves.

All indications are this is only going to get worse before it improves, the question for all of us individually is, when is enough enough ?

Edited by englishoak

I'm not getting into a truck with these goons unless they beat me down and drag me into it.

It blows my mind that so many people live in such fear that they submit to these chubby bullies with a badge.

The martial law thing is irrelevant. It's wrong to be randomly searched and made to piss in a cup, especially with the drug testing machine so unreliable and such dire consequences for a false positive. Just because this offends me does not make me a neo-sahib or a Thai basher! I don't Thailand 'owes me' something except to be treated with a shred of dignity.

If you don't agree that you deserve to be treated with dignity then you are saying no visitors or immigrants to any country deserve any rights or respect. That's a hell of a thing to believe - and it's nationalism at its worst.

Agree Bud me old mate. If anyone questions what happens in Thailand we are all Thai Bashers,colonialists, Reds and worse.

Maybe most of us grew up to respect the law but question when something isnt right.

Is this only happening in Bangkok? I'm supposed to travel with my Wife and friends soon and we all canceled as two of our friends were worried about their elderly parents being searched. They said a search like that would probably confuse them and scare them, especially if it is plain clothed policemen.

I don't understand why Thailand is trying to scare all the tourists away. This is going to make headlines in all countries in a big way.

I think this is mostly limited to Bangkok, and what's more, only one area of Bangkok, the area controlled by the police from the Thong Lor area station, which includes Asok, and extends South from Asok down Sukhumvit Road.

The police from this station are notorious, and frequently stop westerners . In the past this has been reported regularly, but in recent weeks reports of frequency and harassment level have gone up markedly.

I haven't been stopped here since these particular reports started, though I live in the area. I can say that the number of police roaming around the street staring at people around Asok (not litter police) has increased noticeably in the last week with four to six appearing in sites where there was usually one before.

I was stopped a couple of years ago on my way to the dentist, luckily with passport on me for once: the single policeman looked irritated that I had my passport, searched my small camera sized bag and said you smoke, you smoking drug?, but was only half heartedly aggressive and just waved me on .

As a result of the crackdown on stall holders the pavements on Sukhumvit Road, which were once occupied by stalls all day, are now only allowed a night shift of stalls starting at 7pm. I am wondering if this has resulted in a significant reduction in the amount of tea money flowing from stall holders to police, and may be motivating the police from this one corruption-ridden station to go to more extreme lengths to make up a shortfall in income.

New leader new Thailand. Targeting tourists and expats and the tightening of investment laws. Things will only get worse and it appears the dear leader is not very fond of non Thais. Suprised he hasn't sent the troops out to target all those Luk krungs (thai/Chin excluded) who have soiled the image of true thais.

The martial law thing is irrelevant. It's wrong to be randomly searched and made to piss in a cup, especially with the drug testing machine so unreliable and such dire consequences for a false positive. Just because this offends me does not make me a neo-sahib or a Thai basher! I don't Thailand 'owes me' something except to be treated with a shred of dignity.

Agree Bud me old mate. If anyone questions what happens in Thailand we are all Thai Bashers,colonialists, Reds and worse.

Maybe most of us grew up to respect the law but question when something isnt right.

Reminds me of the shaved heads in Paris.

Is this only happening in Bangkok? I'm supposed to travel with my Wife and friends soon and we all canceled as two of our friends were worried about their elderly parents being searched. They said a search like that would probably confuse them and scare them, especially if it is plain clothed policemen.

I don't understand why Thailand is trying to scare all the tourists away. This is going to make headlines in all countries in a big way.

Already made the news in Australia, not headlines but news on how tourists are being targeted and harrassed. Don't worry dear leader will summons foreign diplomats and order them to pull thier countries into the Thai line, he will then release a statement saying foreign countries support the targeting of thier citizens and everyone loves Thailand and dear leader. Problem solved.

Strangely enough, this summer, the Spanish were offering tourists an official - police copy of their passport so they can carry that and avoid having the real one stolen. I didn't check on the cost and don't know if the service is still available.

Perhaps it would be nice if the RTP could offer that?

Also make it about credit card size so it fits in the pocket easily?

It is law in many countries that visitors must carry their passport at all times.

If carrying your actual passport,wrap it in something waterproof because it only needs a little wetting to render the passport useless!

Then you are into the additional waste of time and extra cost of an emergency passport, a replacement once you get home etc.

A royal pain in the bum!

Many countries give even ex-pat workers a credit card-size plastic Residence/ID card.

Strangely enough, this summer, the Spanish were offering tourists an official - police copy of their passport so they can carry that and avoid having the real one stolen. I didn't check on the cost and don't know if the service is still available.

It is law in many countries that visitors must carry their passport at all times.

If carrying your actual passport,wrap it in something waterproof because it only needs a little wetting to render the passport useless!

Then you are into the additional waste of time and extra cost of an emergency passport, a replacement once you get home etc.

A royal pain in the bum!

Many countries give even ex-pat workers a credit card-size plastic Residence/ID card.

I lived and traveled all over the world for decades. Technically it's probably a law. But other than when boarding a train or at airport, or bank, I can never recall being asked to show my passport. Especially never just on the street. Never once, anywhere in 20 years of world travel.

Edited by John1thru10

Already made the news in Australia, not headlines but news on how tourists are being targeted and harrassed. Don't worry dear leader will summons foreign diplomats and order them to pull thier countries into the Thai line, he will then release a statement saying foreign countries support the targeting of thier citizens and everyone loves Thailand and dear leader. Problem solved.

To me what comes to mind is if more elderly tourists start to get targeted. This would really confuse them and they would probably sign whatever the police asks them to sign. I think it's a really bad idea what they are doing.

Thonglor is indeed a bad place for Farangs to walk the streets. The BiBs are even getting 'creative', f.i. by removing all existing ashtrays and flowerpots alongside the street, ...to shake 2,000 out of the Farangs (no Thais) getting rid of a cigarette bud (even in a gutterdrain by absence of alternative), while the side of the walkway is carpeted with the rests of Thai rollies, and, mind you, it's very organised, very 'civil', a cop speaking good English sitting under an umbrella behind a table with a few chairs for the 'culprits', with several plainclothed coppers hidden around with talkie-walkies, plus a few 'big guys' in uniform, hidden too, for 'possible incidents'! Just to name one extortion which was new for me... Oh, and as usually it can be 'negotiated', but then no paperwork...

As if the RTP brass doesn't know about Thonglor, and a few other stations, along Sukhumvit... Of course the post's higher officers should be disciplined, but nothing happens, and a group of Sr. Sgts. can make, and keep, a whole station rotten too...

It is ? Are you talking about Sukhumvit Soi 55 aka Thong Lor ?.

Not once was I even approached or harassed by police officers there. Not at the Sukhumvit end, not at the Phetburi end and nowhere in between, which includes the actual Thong Lor Police station which is just past Thong Lor Soi 18.

For the last month, I walked there every single afternoon, from the Sukhumvit end to Thong Lor Soi 16 or a bit further soi 20. Not once was I approached, nor have I seen any other people being approached either.

I did see that most of the waste bins that have been placed there about 1.5 years ago are gone (there are only two or three left, there used to be many more at the right side of the street). But as a smoker, even dropping the stub somewhere has not lead to police harassment.

Let's not get carried away here.

Indeed... In fact last year on New Years Eve I walked from Ladphrao to Sukhumvit 23 - between here and there including passing the Sutthisan police station, no one bothered me. I think this thread is dominated by the "hate Thailand" crowd but who can't make it back in their home countries...

Seems you haven't been paying attention.

This behavior is largely restricted to the jurisdiction of the Thong Lo police station, and has verifiably been taking place for a good long while. However, recently a upsurge has taken place, which some attribute to payback for a recent shutdown of 'happy-ending' massage parlors (apparently temporary) in the Thong Lo police district by the Army.

And it isn't too hard to figure out why none of these shenanigans have been taking place on Thong Lo road: Thong Lo road is not a farang tourist attraction when compared to Sukhumvit Rd/Asoke, where Soi Cowboy is and Washington Square used to be, and Soi 22, as well as many of the surrounding sois have massage shops and bars catering to foreigners. If you send the boys out to shake down tourists, you go where they are, not where hi-so Thais and the spoiled kids of the rich play. It doesn't appear opportunistic, but planned at the upper management level...

I don't think it's cricket to cast aspersions on a whole class of expat, any more than it is to judge you by the apparel in your avatar.

Nothing positive to contribute? Why not zip it, toots?

Oh, and congrats walking from Ladprao to Sukhumvit. Hope Sukumvit was home. I've been worrying about my old neighborhood (Ladprao)... smile.png

I think this is mostly limited to Bangkok, and what's more, only one area of Bangkok, the area controlled by the police from the Thong Lor area station, which includes Asok, and extends South from Asok down Sukhumvit Road.

The police from this station are notorious, and frequently stop westerners . In the past this has been reported regularly, but in recent weeks reports of frequency and harassment level have gone up markedly.

I haven't been stopped here since these particular reports started, though I live in the area. I can say that the number of police roaming around the street staring at people around Asok (not litter police) has increased noticeably in the last week with four to six appearing in sites where there was usually one before.

I was stopped a couple of years ago on my way to the dentist, luckily with passport on me for once: the single policeman looked irritated that I had my passport, searched my small camera sized bag and said you smoke, you smoking drug?, but was only half heartedly aggressive and just waved me on .

As a result of the crackdown on stall holders the pavements on Sukhumvit Road, which were once occupied by stalls all day, are now only allowed a night shift of stalls starting at 7pm. I am wondering if this has resulted in a significant reduction in the amount of tea money flowing from stall holders to police, and may be motivating the police from this one corruption-ridden station to go to more extreme lengths to make up a shortfall in income.

Well it's good to know it is only happening probably in one area. For now we all changed our plans and booked for Hawaii. Much closer and I think it's going to be a much better holiday. Something about Police targeting tourists rubs me the wrong way.

And it's not just the daytime street vendors: the late night street bars haven't been the same since the coup. They were forced to switch their music off and it got much more strict about closing time.

At a bar where I used to go, before the coup the bar might take a night off on a Monday. Nowadays, the bar might even be shut any night that isn't a Friday/Saturday. Obviously there are still plenty of bars open there most nights of the week, but business was already down and then the music got stopped and it just seems the scene is merely hanging on compared to how it was.

So if there was tea money coming in both day and night from both vendors and street bars that money must have shrunk drastically.

It's bizarre someone can claim they walked this route once one year ago and nothing happened to them so they will not only disbelieve countless reports and deny video evidence but then go on to attack their fellow foreigners as "chauvinists". What kind of mind equates that with reporting xenophobic victimisation by police?

And the point about how terrible it supposedly is in our own countries is just morally lazy: essentially you are saying that bad things are ok in one place just because another place is not perfect.

Apologists for corruption....facepalm.gif

........and what do they say, 'two wrongs don't make it right'.

Police shakedowns / passport checks in Phuket were prolific at one point, not sure if they still are.

As far as I know, the Thong Lor police area is only north of Sukhumvit, from Asoke to Ekamai. South of Asoke is Lumphini.

It is not only Asoke. I am missing Ekamai Bus Station. In August I witnessed personal a very ugly searching of tourists. Two policeman, the backpacks and clothes on the floor and the (white, young) tourists have to take everything out. It looked like a routine check, but was a very shameful picture. I passed quick and to be honest never go back to Ekamai.

Thank you very much about every update and post from Asoke, Thong Lor.

If I will see this kind of police check again, I will try to make a video clip. Today I am sure that my watching was not an accident.

A royal pain in the bum!

I lived and traveled all over the world for decades. Technically it's probably a law. But other than when boarding a train or at airport, or bank, I can never recall being asked to show my passport. Especially never just on the street. Never once, anywhere in 20 years of world travel.

I have been asked only once....on Sukhumvit by the petrol station at Soi 23 almost exactly two years ago.

Often got asked for a passport while in China. (Edit- but, as you say- never randomly on the street just minding my own business)

In fact, it's refreshing in Thailand that I can go to the bank, get on a flight, and exchange money without one.

Edited by impulse

Here in Pattaya I've found the opposite to be true. I drive past many police checkpoints and they are only stopping Thais for paper checks. Some foreigners got stopped for not wearing helmets.

In Pattaya there's Tim Sharky , they better don't <deleted> with farangs ...

The country is under martial law. If foreigners ever had any rights, they can consider them suspended now. At least they had the sense to lift the curfew. I've been to Russia ten times so I recognize this scenario.

Any questions?

no thanksfacepalm.gif