Surge of reported police harassment suggests campaign targeting tourists, expats

webfact

What about calling the UN ,and making a complaint of infringement of Human rights . Aside from that let it be known as many already do ,the Lumpini ,and Thong lo stations are the most corrupt of all Police Stations in Bangkok .They are going too far and have to be stopped !

Really? You don't think the UN has bigger issues to deal with than some farangs being compelled to show the contents of their knapsack to a police officer? Methinks that someone needs to watch the international news a little more...

• Replies 850
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was planning an eye procedure at Rutnin Hospital and staying at the Sheraton figuring on an easy walk up Asoke in Feb, then cab it back for a week of recovery by the pool but those plans dont look to good with whats happening. Not sure I would want to chance a shakedown a few hours after an operation.

When he asks ''Give sample for drugs!''; just say: ''You want me to go to the toilet in this?'' The cop will say ''Yes. Go toilet!'' Tell him you've got shaky hands and ask him to hold the receptable for you, Quickly pull down your pants (saying ''Ok, I go toilet now.'') and take a massive dump all over the receptable and his hands.

I don't think he'll bother you again.

Last Monday night I was leaving Soi Cowboy around 12:30am and walked down Soi 23 out to Sukhumvit. I looked right and saw about 3-4 Bib searching two farangs. I was headed outbound so just kept walking. Then I heard a Thai telling me to stop. I didn't stop but just kept walking. I know he repeated himself a couple of times. Finally he caught up to me and tugged on the bag I was carrying. He then told me to stop which I did. He said he wanted to look at my bag. I said "no". He looked puzzled. He asked again to search my bag. I again said "no". Then we stood and looked at each other. I told him I was going. He said "no". I began walking away and after a few steps he got in front of me and said I had to stop and search bag. He then yelled at one of his group to come over which he did rather quickly. This other policeman then also asked to check my bag. I said ok. Are you ready? I went out running earlier in the evening. Inside was all of my sweaty, wet, running clothes that were wrapped up in plastic bags. Up until this time I spoke English. Then I spoke Thai to them and produced one sweaty towel in a plastic bag. I asked them if it stunk (he said yes). Then I produced a pair of running shoes in a plastic bag and held it up to his nose and asked if it stunk (he said yes). Then I produced a plastic bag containing my T-shirt, shorts, and socks and held it up to his nose and asked him if it stunk (he said yes) and laughed. I showed him my stick of deodorant and that was it. I told him I wasn't carrying any ya-ba, heroin, or ganja. He did ask if I had a passport. I said yes but not with me but if they like they can come home with me and check it. That was it. I wanted to comply with them but I also didn't want them to get it so easily. I wanted to make them work a bit. The only thing I was worried about was the police planting something on me. They did not ask me to empty my pockets at any time which surprised me.

I have no idea of the legality or otherwise, in this country, of random searches of any individual, Thai or foreign, going about their lawful business, but in developed countries, it tends to lead to demands from MPs for the police to explain themselves. It also generates justifiable accusations of discrimination. And this in countries where the police tend to demonstrate much greater levels of competence at their job, and to generate more trust and confidence from the public. And where tourists are normally left to get on with touring.

Seems the TAT's optimism is even more misplaced than we thought.

I can't understand why any farang is complaining about this at all?

Hello, you're in a police state under military rule. What did you expect, civil rights? Everywestern country warned it's citizens about travel to Thailand and where were you when everyone was applauding as the army kicked out the lawfully elected government?

Thonglor is indeed a bad place for Farangs to walk the streets. The BiBs are even getting 'creative', f.i. by removing all existing ashtrays and flowerpots alongside the street, ...to shake 2,000 out of the Farangs (no Thais) getting rid of a cigarette bud (even in a gutterdrain by absence of alternative), while the side of the walkway is carpeted with the rests of Thai rollies, and, mind you, it's very organised, very 'civil', a cop speaking good English sitting under an umbrella behind a table with a few chairs for the 'culprits', with several plainclothed coppers hidden around with talkie-walkies, plus a few 'big guys' in uniform, hidden too, for 'possible incidents'! Just to name one extortion which was new for me... Oh, and as usually it can be 'negotiated', but then no paperwork...

As if the RTP brass doesn't know about Thonglor, and a few other stations, along Sukhumvit... Of course the post's higher officers should be disciplined, but nothing happens, and a group of Sr. Sgts. can make, and keep, a whole station rotten too...

It is ? Are you talking about Sukhumvit Soi 55 aka Thong Lor ?.

Not once was I even approached or harassed by police officers there. Not at the Sukhumvit end, not at the Phetburi end and nowhere in between, which includes the actual Thong Lor Police station which is just past Thong Lor Soi 18.

For the last month, I walked there every single afternoon, from the Sukhumvit end to Thong Lor Soi 16 or a bit further soi 20. Not once was I approached, nor have I seen any other people being approached either.

I did see that most of the waste bins that have been placed there about 1.5 years ago are gone (there are only two or three left, there used to be many more at the right side of the street). But as a smoker, even dropping the stub somewhere has not lead to police harassment.

Let's not get carried away here.

I have no idea of the legality or otherwise, in this country, of random searches of any individual, Thai or foreign, going about their lawful business, but in developed countries, it tends to lead to demands from MPs for the police to explain themselves. It also generates justifiable accusations of discrimination. And this in countries where the police tend to demonstrate much greater levels of competence at their job, and to generate more trust and confidence from the public. And where tourists are normally left to get on with touring.

In the US roadblocks are common place, and you really don't have a choice in the matter - I don't agree with them but they are routine.

I was in the Asoke area a few nights ago, went about 7, came home before midnight like Cinderella. I didn't see any road blocks, anyone being hassled. I always carry my passport, albeit in a plastic baggie since getting caught out in the rain once (fortunately passport survived that). Let's see contact with police... Pass police routinely here in Chatuchak, never give me a second glance, except one who held the door as I was leaving my apartment building and the regular cop here who always smiles and nod.

Checks here are not new. Over a year ago, a friend (American but half Thai) and a Singaporean were drinking at Khaosan, an officer asked to empty their bags and they complied and parted the officer's company with smiles. Honestly the police here make me far less apprehensive than those back in the USA. I've had my share of bad encounters there, as did many of my friends and both my brothers over the years, here I have not had one bad experience with the police. Perhaps the problem here is not the police, but the neo-colonialist and chauvinistic attitudes of many of the farang... Just my view. Guess I've "gone native" and that is OK, why would I want to live in a country and not adapt to its culture and ways (which are much freer than most of the West IMHO)....

I can't understand why any farang is complaining about this at all?

Hello, you're in a police state under military rule. What did you expect, civil rights? Everywestern country warned it's citizens about travel to Thailand and where were you when everyone was applauding as the army kicked out the lawfully elected government?

I think most supporters of the coup could,nt imagine things could get anymore dangerous than under the rule of your so called lawfully elected government and therefore welcomed military rule,

Myself i still have hopes but also admit its wearing thin.

Thonglor is indeed a bad place for Farangs to walk the streets. The BiBs are even getting 'creative', f.i. by removing all existing ashtrays and flowerpots alongside the street, ...to shake 2,000 out of the Farangs (no Thais) getting rid of a cigarette bud (even in a gutterdrain by absence of alternative), while the side of the walkway is carpeted with the rests of Thai rollies, and, mind you, it's very organised, very 'civil', a cop speaking good English sitting under an umbrella behind a table with a few chairs for the 'culprits', with several plainclothed coppers hidden around with talkie-walkies, plus a few 'big guys' in uniform, hidden too, for 'possible incidents'! Just to name one extortion which was new for me... Oh, and as usually it can be 'negotiated', but then no paperwork...

As if the RTP brass doesn't know about Thonglor, and a few other stations, along Sukhumvit... Of course the post's higher officers should be disciplined, but nothing happens, and a group of Sr. Sgts. can make, and keep, a whole station rotten too...

Not once was I even approached or harassed by police officers there. Not at the Sukhumvit end, not at the Phetburi end and nowhere in between, which includes the actual Thong Lor Police station which is just past Thong Lor Soi 18.

For the last month, I walked there every single afternoon, from the Sukhumvit end to Thong Lor Soi 16 or a bit further soi 20. Not once was I approached, nor have I seen any other people being approached either.

I did see that most of the waste bins that have been placed there about 1.5 years ago are gone (there are only two or three left, there used to be many more at the right side of the street). But as a smoker, even dropping the stub somewhere has not lead to police harassment.

Indeed... In fact last year on New Years Eve I walked from Ladphrao to Sukhumvit 23 - between here and there including passing the Sutthisan police station, no one bothered me. I think this thread is dominated by the "hate Thailand" crowd but who can't make it back in their home countries...

of little interest to the ignorant fools that have gone native and live in the booonies of nakon nowhere ...BUT lets not forget that many Genuine tourists transit thro bkk for a few days and they fear this kind of abuse by any law enforcement as this is the natorious far east and being forced to sign any bull that is made up on that day of a little pill slipped into your shirt pocket can DESTROY your life/////..but hey thailand is perfect isnt it fools

Of course, you're right in the sense that this is of little interest to us kwai dorn. We go about our business, enjoying life without all the harassment.

On the other hand, it shows that there are still enough ignorant fools, both Thai and falang, that actually believe Krungthep is the center of the universe.

"Not once have I been searched blahblahblah head in the sand...."

Let's hope you get pee-tested in the street then.

"You're a bunch of chauvinists...."

And you are a frustrated man-hater would probably be the same mentality back at you.

"The USA has XYZ issues therefore you shouldn't complain at being forced to pee in a cup in the street...."

And Cloud Cuckoo Land is even better than Thailand for going native.

They just don't want tourist anymore !

Everyday another attempt to stop tourists from choosing Thailand as a travel destination.....

They never did, They only want the money

"Money number one"

Not peculiar to Thailand. Most countries tolerate foreign tourists for the income and employment generated.

What other reason could there be?

Indeed... In fact last year on New Years Eve I walked from Ladphrao to Sukhumvit 23 - between here and there including passing the Sutthisan police station, no one bothered me. I think this thread is dominated by the "hate Thailand" crowd but who can't make it back in their home countries...

We are aware checks were rare and not an issue between the beginning of time and very recently. A window of time which includes a month back and New Year's eve.

This thread is about a very recent escalation in events.

of little interest to the ignorant fools that have gone native and live in the booonies of nakon nowhere ...BUT lets not forget that many Genuine tourists transit thro bkk for a few days and they fear this kind of abuse by any law enforcement as this is the natorious far east and being forced to sign any bull that is made up on that day of a little pill slipped into your shirt pocket can DESTROY your life/////..but hey thailand is perfect isnt it fools

Exactly, never drop your window down more than an inch at their road blocks, even the thais know what can be flicked onto the back seat..

In the US roadblocks are common place, and you really don't have a choice in the matter - I don't agree with them but they are routine.

I was in the Asoke area a few nights ago, went about 7, came home before midnight like Cinderella. I didn't see any road blocks, anyone being hassled. I always carry my passport, albeit in a plastic baggie since getting caught out in the rain once (fortunately passport survived that). Let's see contact with police... Pass police routinely here in Chatuchak, never give me a second glance, except one who held the door as I was leaving my apartment building and the regular cop here who always smiles and nod.

Checks here are not new. Over a year ago, a friend (American but half Thai) and a Singaporean were drinking at Khaosan, an officer asked to empty their bags and they complied and parted the officer's company with smiles. Honestly the police here make me far less apprehensive than those back in the USA. I've had my share of bad encounters there, as did many of my friends and both my brothers over the years, here I have not had one bad experience with the police. Perhaps the problem here is not the police, but the neo-colonialist and chauvinistic attitudes of many of the farang... Just my view. Guess I've "gone native" and that is OK, why would I want to live in a country and not adapt to its culture and ways (which are much freer than most of the West IMHO)....

You remind me of how people in Nebraska would speak about the events in Fergusson. You believe that because you've had no problem, then no one else does.

It's bizarre someone can claim they walked this route once one year ago and nothing happened to them so they will not only disbelieve countless reports and deny video evidence but then go on to attack their fellow foreigners as "chauvinists". What kind of mind equates that with reporting xenophobic victimisation by police?

And the point about how terrible it supposedly is in our own countries is just morally lazy: essentially you are saying that bad things are ok in one place just because another place is not perfect.

Apologists for corruption....facepalm.gif

Wow, I thought it was just me.. My experience this week:

I got a motorbike taxi going down Suk Soi 36 on Tuesday, planning to meet my wife for lunch, and got pulled over immediately by a couple cops on a motorbike. They frisked me, checked my bag, frisked me, ran through my bag again, frisked me, took off my shoes, ran through my bag again.. Luckily, I had my actual passport with me as I was planning on opening a new bank account this week, but it went like this:

"You don't have passport!"

Here's my passport.

"You don't have visa"!

Just a minute...Ok, here's my Non-Immi visa.

"You overstay!"

Uhh...No, I'm good until next July. Here's the stamp..

"You.. You have drugs! Come here!"

And they ran through my bag again, and frisked me again. And ran through my passport again. And went through every thing in my bag again.

"What's this? This is drugs!"

Umm... Well, It's an unopened package of Halls mints...

At this point my wife drove by in her taxi, and stopped and came out and asked what was going on.

I said I was apparently under arrest, and put my hands in the air dramatically, and the police told me to put my hands down because my gesture was "Mai dee, mai dee", My better half pulled out her phone (to call her lawyer friend at her embassy), and the main (older) cop finally said, "Ok, you go, no drug, you go, you go, pai pai!"

I think they thought she was taking a photo for Facebook or something.. (Never underestimate the power of an annoyed Japanese woman or the threat of social media.)

Anyway, they spent about 10-15 minutes searching me by the side of the road, again and again and again.. I was honestly afraid (for the first time in my life in any country) that they would plant something on me, because they were so persistent, and just didn't stop when they couldn't find anything.

Sorry for the long rant..

My friend, that's an awful story. I hope the folks here trying to say there's nothing to complain about, should get this in their heads. I've lived here 5 years, I've never heard these stories in mass like this, and this negative. This is bad.

MjAxMy03NmRhYTc1MWE5NzUxNDgy.png

In the USA, blah, blah,blah...

Can you Americans actually comment on anything without mentioning the USA? Anyway, love the bit about 'neo-colonialist attitudes' causing these searches.Last time I checked these videos, none of these 'colonialists' were wearing suits and indoctrinating the 'fuzzy wuzzies' with religion and obedience to the Queen of England. They seemed like normal folk walking down the street.

Words fail me sometimes at the level of utter stupidy seen on here at times. It's just wrong that we all have to share the same oxygen.

Cant make it back in their home countries clap2.gif

MjAxMy03NmRhYTc1MWE5NzUxNDgy.png

In the USA, blah, blah,blah...

Can you Americans actually comment on anything without mentioning the USA? Anyway, love the bit about 'neo-colonialist attitudes' causing these searches.Last time I checked these videos, none of these 'colonialists' were wearing suits and indoctrinating the 'fuzzy wuzzies' with religion and obedience to the Queen of England. They seemed like normal folk walking down the street.

Words fail me sometimes at the level of utter stupidy seen on here at times. It's just wrong that we all have to share the same oxygen.

I always smile when people say colonialists, Am i one because i dont want to do a pee test at 2pm in the afternoon when im going to 7-11 to buy some fags?

Is this only happening in Bangkok? I'm supposed to travel with my Wife and friends soon and we all canceled as two of our friends were worried about their elderly parents being searched. They said a search like that would probably confuse them and scare them, especially if it is plain clothed policemen.

I don't understand why Thailand is trying to scare all the tourists away. This is going to make headlines in all countries in a big way.

Archived