Three Thai provinces declared winter disaster areas

webfact

Three provinces declared winter disaster areas

BANGKOK, 4 December 2014 (NNT) – Areas in three provinces of Thailand have been declared disaster areas due to the cold weather with immediate official assistance operations underway, said the Interior Deputy Minister.

According to the Deputy Minister of Interior Suthee Makboon, three provinces in Thailand have declared the disaster areas due to the cold weather.

These provinces are Mae Hong Son, Loei, and Chiang Mai. The disaster areas declared cover 9 districts, 36 sub-districts, and up to 506 villages.

The Deputy Minister of Interior said that the ministry has ordered the Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation (DDPM) to work with their related provinces in helping the affected people, providing the people with warm clothing and keep in mind the troubles of those affected.

The authorities have also set the prevention measures for disasters during winter season, such as wildfire, smoke, seasonal diseases, road accidents due to the fog, and traveling accidents.

The DDPM Director-General Chatchai Promlert has said that some areas are now facing effects from the winter conditions.

He said that the DDPM has worked with the provinces to set up the special directorate centers to prevent and solve the winter disaster in the provincial, district, and local levels.

The special directorate centers are also the cooperation centers for the rescue operations. The centers have employed weather monitoring staff for the accurate aid and immediate assistance services for the affected people.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-12-04 footer_n.gif

to keep warm in winter in southern Australia(victoria) we had a double layer of hession bags sewn between two sheets to use as a over blanket, my dad died and there was no help back then for a mum and 5 kids . Rarely saw new clothes till I started working, most were donated but we made do, didnt whinge like those here and we were into minus temps day and night for several months. These whingers wouldnt know what cold was, we would ride push bikes for many miles to try to find old timber/trees to burn in the fire place, not once did we expect the govt to support us, st vinnies would drop off old clothes but that was about it. Cant believe the sh*t they come up with about cold temps in Thailand, pathetic but I do understand the hill tribes getting their butts frozen, the farmers are simply full of it.

Villages up in the hills are several degrees cooler than down in the valleys... all year round. They are mostly hill-tribes who are looked down upon by thais as second-class people. Although hard-working and not wasteful they are still poorer than the Thais and have less opportunities to work at good wages. The kids wear clothing out in a year so yes, they do need new each year.

Those who sit back and scoff about 'where has the last lot gone..' do not deserve the plenty they enjoy with their superior attitudes..... I feel sorry for them...and probably never donated a thing in their lives.

Your shitting me,,,Winter comes around every year,,,,No matter how much money you have or not you bloody cater for that,,When I was young in the Netherlands we had newspaper and cardboard on top of our bed and a coat that my Mam made from pieces of cut offs and left overs so that I kept warm to walk to school The temp went down sometimes for weeks on end from anything of 10C to 20C Below 0 . I even seen people sleeping under a layer of Hay or Straw, They don't know what winter is here in Thailand,They cry for help to easy, To bloody lazy to help them self.

I'm pretty sure you're aware this isn't the Netherlands. With hot weather being the norm it shouldn't be unfathomable that when cold weather arrives it can hit some of the Thai hard.

Of course they don't know what a winter is like... in the Netherlands. Are they living there?

Crying for help too easily? Too lazy to help themselves? Really, now?

• Like 1

Thai's are no more prepared for cold weather than they are for rainy season, they've known all their life when the rainy season arrives, but how many rideing a motorcycle don't wear rain poncho's, and drive just as fast in the rain as on a sunny day.

• Like 2

"Disaster" and "emergency" are usually applied to some unexpected misfortune. Been here 13 years and every year has had cold season about this time.... hmmm I wonder why. When they go to bed at night are they also in doubt sun will rise in East? Perhaps they trully can't see more than 20 minutes into the future?

• Like 2

This story pops up yearly!!

And every time I wonder, what happened to the warm clothes they got last year??coffee1.gif

About 15 years ago there was a cold snap in BKK for about 1.5 to 2 days and everyone was running around in padded "Michelin Man" ski jackets for 2 days. It was hysterical. I and all the other farangs were still in shorts, light short sleeve shirts & sandals etc, & these idiots in ski jackets everywhere. Unreal to see!! Honestly!

michelin_man.jpg

• Like 1

In New Territories, Hing Kong…today was 11-12 during the day…locals had scarves and jackets and the occasional hat…..was brisk but normal work shirt for me…mind u…..had an emergency kind of windbreaker in me work bag. Young ladies in the office were impressed that I was "so strong". If only the short one in the mini and knee high boots knew how strong i was.

• Like 1

In England they declare an emergency when the heatwaves hit...usually at about 28 degrees c. Pensioners die and everyone whinges trying to get the government to do something. They have all year to get air con in but do nothing! They dont even buy fans! Just a word to the wise for the usual TVTBs.

How true.

Villages up in the hills are several degrees cooler than down in the valleys... all year round. They are mostly hill-tribes who are looked down upon by thais as second-class people. Although hard-working and not wasteful they are still poorer than the Thais and have less opportunities to work at good wages. The kids wear clothing out in a year so yes, they do need new each year.

Those who sit back and scoff about 'where has the last lot gone..' do not deserve the plenty they enjoy with their superior attitudes..... I feel sorry for them...and probably never donated a thing in their lives.

So what youre telling us is they wear thick winter clothing all year till its worn out rather than wear it when it gets a bit chilly for a week in december? No wonder they feel the cold up there. Im off up there in a week or so to enjoy riding round the mountains without sweating my nads off in a mesh jacket n kevlar jeans....and no. Its not cold up there all year round.

This happens every year. My wife and I have discussed moving to Chang Mai. In the meantime she has been collecting stuff to put in a container and ship to Thailand. I guess I will throw in a couple wood burning stoves with pipe. I have a few I have collected over the years. One is a mini pot belly stove that I have used to 20 below F.

Of course people get cold outside and without heat in the house can not warm up. I can understand adapting to the warm weather where 15XC to 20C would feel cold. I also have a bean can stove that I have used for years. Very effective. Another is a 3/8 inch steel Ice fishing stove..... maybe overkill on that one.

The locals could learn to build a cheap bean can stove that could really make a difference. The key is to warm up after being exposed to the cold. Even their car would be a good heat source.... Makes me wonder about some people.