Los And Us Free Trade Agreement

I have heard in the past that LOS and the US are trying to put together a free trade agreement. Has anyone heard anything about this issue? Do you think that everything will be able to be traded without duties, or will there be any exceptions?

No doubt it will be agreed that the US make all the rules and manage to screw Thailand (and it's people) in the process.

totster :o

Well maybe so, but fortunately being a US citizen, it might help me with retirement. :D

No doubt it will be agreed that the US make all the rules and manage to screw Thailand (and it's people) in the process.

totster :o

Well maybe so, but fortunately being a US citizen, it might help me with retirement. :D

Proposed Clause 5.5 - Movement of People and Labour.

"Thailand will allow the unlimited import of US sourced geriatrics. Said geriatrics will be allowed to live in Thailand until death, or till the become broke due to spending of new female 'aquaintences' (which ever happens first). Thailand will still reserve the right to maintain import restrictions on those geriatrics who currently, or who have ever lived in a mobile home or trailer park, and those from Texas or Utah (especially those from Utah)".

I have heard in the past that LOS and the US are trying to put together a free trade agreement. Has anyone heard anything about this issue? Do you think that everything will be able to be traded without duties, or will there be any exceptions?

there will be some things with duty still attached for sure; both countries have their own agendas to push and certain big corporates will probably end up making this FTA full of caveats, exclusions and so on.

e.g. shrimp exports; FTA says get rid of tax, but US farmers will go broke and they vote...therefore, exclusion.

e.g. medicine; FTA says get rid of generics, but Thai 30b healthcare will go broke, poor people vote...therefore, exclusion.

Now that there is no one in power at this end with the authority to negotiate it, and given that USA probably has other higher priorities, I think you may be waiting.

The FTAs with NZ and Aussie don't have that much effect for the average Kiwi or Aussie here; Americans already get unfairly reasonable treatment through the Treaty of Amity (which breaches WTO regulations AFAIK) compared to other nationalities; you want more than that?!

I know the FTA with NZ (as I carry a NZ passport) had almost no impact on NZers living here or Thais living in NZ other than a few students who can now do a working holiday - 100 a year of something.