Thailand, Myanmar to revive Dawei zone in 2015

webfact

Thailand, Myanmar to revive Dawei zone in 2015

5-12-2557-10-46-41-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Thailand and Myanmar will sign a pact in January aimed at reviving the multi-billion dollar Dawei industrial zone in Myanmar, a Thai minister said on Thursday, as reported by The Irrawaddy.

Deputy Transport Minister Arkhom Termpittayapaisit, who is also secretary-general of the National Economic and Social Development Board (NESDB), said the Thai and Myanmar governments would meet to kick start what is arguably Southeast Asia’s most ambitious industrial zone.

“At the start of January 2015 the Thai and Myanmar government will sign a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to move forward the Dawei Special Economic Zone,” he added. He said he hoped Italian Thai Development Pcl and Rojana Industrial Park Pcl would play a role in the first phase of the project.

His comments come after Thailand and Myanmar seized control of the strategically located complex from Italian Thai Development (ITD), Thailand’s biggest construction firm, in Nov 2013.

Thailand’s ruling junta pledged in October to step up involvement in the project, following talks between Thai Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha and Minoru Kiuchi, Japan’s vice foreign minister. Arkhom said foreign players, including Japan, were ready to get involved in Dawei, but did not give further details.

Located in southeastern Burma with highway links to Bangkok and Thailand’s eastern seaboard, Dawei is set to be Southeast Asia’s largest industrial complex when complete. The industrial zone would be a potential boon for firms relying on the transport of goods around the crowded Malacca Strait, the world’s busiest shipping lane.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/thailand-myanmar-revive-dawei-zone-2015

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-12-05

I don't think either country has the funds to build this massive project......and pretty sure now, that the Japanese aren't too interested any longer....

Is that because they are more interested in the development of the Tilawa Port on the Yangon River?

Does the Thaksinator still have his massive private plot of land there? I recall some time ago that he had bought a large block very close to the planned project site to build a luxury villa.

I bet it's him who is behind this latest development. (rolleyes.gif - down fabbie, down. I'm teasing you.)

• Like 1

BULL......I remember the Thai government said the same... 3 years ago about Vietnam.....they would sign a agreement to let Thai cars drive into Vietnam...on the 1 of Januari.......Bla bla bla bla.....the usual .....bull...shitt......when I got to the border between Laos and Vietnam round February...they would not let Thai cars in....no agreements were signed......!!!!

I could go because I had a VISA....My Thai wife could go for free because they have agreements in Asean comunity......but my car could not......and Once back at the Laos side I had to buy a new Visa into Laos.....a waste of money.....

They just good in talking..... we gonna do this we gonna do that....nothing ever happens.....!!!!

BULL......I remember the Thai government said the same... 3 years ago about Vietnam.....they would sign a agreement to let Thai cars drive into Vietnam...on the 1 of Januari.......Bla bla bla bla.....the usual .....bull...shitt......when I got to the border between Laos and Vietnam round February...they would not let Thai cars in....no agreements were signed......!!!!

I could go because I had a VISA....My Thai wife could go for free because they have agreements in Asean comunity......but my car could not......and Once back at the Laos side I had to buy a new Visa into Laos.....a waste of money.....

They just good in talking..... we gonna do this we gonna do that....nothing ever happens.....!!!!

Is English your native language?

What difference does that make? Obviously no, but at least he can communicate well enough to post on an English site. Let's see you post something on his native language site. Are you British?

• Like 1

One never knows when the Grammar Police will take a stance .....coffee1.gif

What difference does that make? Obviously no, but at least he can communicate well enough to post on an English site. Let's see you post something on his native language site. Are you British?

Thank you for defending me, but i don't care about negative comments....

In fact I speak 7 languages and English is my 3 th.....

No English in not my native language, it is my 3 th of the 7 I speak.....and 5 I read and write......