Google Translate

fgmr

Does anyone know of a better translator from Thai to English? Logging on to MSN News I receive the content in Thai despite having set all my language settings to English. I then have to use the goggle translate button to be able to read the English version. The results are pathetic and often amusing. The following is an example resulting from Microsoft translate which is just as bad.

Dr. Somchai Sunchatri a spokesman for the national Buddhism Bureau affiliated with the Prime Minister's Office. Clarify with the team news "daily news online," that if a priest is with women in the secret 2: 2 as well as my own cooking, considered abat. Global network access to blame

This is clearly stated in the discipline of priests is responsible binotbat for others to livelihood except cases where nothing is really my only. Because even with a warm rice is considered wrong in our discipline should be followers or Cook's kitchen at the temple's managers, ..... ermm.gif

Perhaps Thai Visa should set up it's own translation service!

• Like 2

Yeah, pretty hopeless for translating correspondence between native Thai speakers and news articles. Interestingly the translators do a much better job with legal documents so perhaps it is the slang and innuendo in day to day spoken/written Thai that trips them up.

Also interesting is that although far more complicated, google etc. do a better job with Chinese-English. I would guess that is because a lot more resources have gone into translating Chinese than Thai.

http://www.thai2english.com/

i have the PC software and it is pretty nice. especially as you can search by typing with roman letters like "maak" and it will give you all words that sound similar to this. you can build your own word list. and for many (but not all) you find example sentences that you might find handy to use. It is shareware so you can try it for free. I found it so good that i bought it.

• Like 1

There is no automatic Thai<>English text translation that is full-fledged.

And I bet there will be no such thing in the near future.

(I will be happy to be proofed wrong)

I found it laughable when I recently read about online translation for chat systems etc.

Such optimistic news can be read for more than 20 (?) years.

Multiple companies have invested heavily without a real success.

It is an old dream and a would be a multi billion Dollar business.

The best I can recommend is the "bulk translation" at thai-language.com.

It splts a sentence into words and offers translation alternatives for each word.

With that you will usually "get an idea" what the text is about.

http://www.thai-language.com/bulklookup

Google translate is useful as a dictionary.

The free Android app is a must.

Translation works even when offline (dictionaries for multiple languages can be downloaded).

Speech output requires internet connection.

You can build a "phrasebook" of your favourite terms.

For these phrases the speech output is also saved for offline use.

Very useful.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

Does anyone know of a better translator from Thai to English? Logging on to MSN News I receive the content in Thai despite having set all my language settings to English

Just noticed the original problem biggrin.png

Some silly websites derive the language output simply from the location (IP adress).

I don't know hot to fix it for "MSN News".

I suggest you start a new / separate topic for that! ("MSN News comes up in Thai").

Give some details (operating system, browser, website adress?).

Edited by KhunBENQ

There is no automatic Thai<>English text translation that is full-fledged.

And I bet there will be no such thing in the near future.

(I will be happy to be proofed wrong)

I found it laughable when I recently read about online translation for chat systems etc.

Such optimistic news can be read for more than 20 (?) years.

Multiple companies have invested heavily without a real success.

It is an old dream and a would be a multi billion Dollar business.

The best I can recommend is the "bulk translation" at thai-language.com.

It splts a sentence into words and offers translation alternatives for each word.

With that you will usually "get an idea" what the text is about.

http://www.thai-language.com/bulklookup

Google translate is useful as a dictionary.

The free Android app is a must.

Translation works even when offline (dictionaries for multiple languages can be downloaded).

Speech output requires internet connection.

You can build a "phrasebook" of your favourite terms.

For these phrases the speech output is also saved for offline use.

Very useful.

Thanks I will give it a try.