Lumpini's Lizards - all the big ones gone?

HooHaa

I have been out of Bangkok on the islands for a few months follow a stint of work in Manila. I used to ride my bike daily in lumpini for exercise and see big 2 to 3 meter monitors daily prior to the occupation.

I have now been for 2 rides and have only seen the litlle guys, has any one seen one of the big buggers lately or have they disappeared?

Any one seen a big lizard lately?

A while back there was one in a tree that fell on someone, injuring her. Following that the authorities rounded them all up and took them away. They probably missed some of the smaller ones, but that would explain the shortage of the larger ones.

I was there around May time and yes there were a lot of them about and some of them were huge!

Went back in November and very few around. I did hear a rumour that they get rounded up once in a while and sold for food.

Think I might of read that on Thai Visa actually

about 18 months ago or more the bma took all the large lizards out of the park. no one knows what happened to them if they were taken to another place or if something more inhumane happened to them

the bma comes out with the strangest rules and to see these beautiful animals taken is a disgrace

• Like 1

Saw a kind of big one on the jogging path at about 3PM yesterday. Scared the bjesus out of me because i was playing with my earphones and didn't notice it until i was almost on top of it. Was looking right at me licking its lips 555

Was at lumpini just over the weekend and heard a giant splash! looked over and there was a very big one, similar to the one in the picture above, probably close to 3 meters (including tail of course) crawling out of the water.

Needless to say I started nervously scanning the trees above me. T

I drew a map of where i encountered the beast

post-63733-0-47655100-1418025319_thumb.j

Edited by kblaze
  • Like 1

Was at lumpini just over the weekend and heard a giant splash! looked over and there was a very big one, similar to the one in the picture above, probably close to 3 meters (including tail of course) crawling out of the water.

Needless to say I started nervously scanning the trees above me. T

I drew a map of where i encountered the beast

attachicon.gifLUMPINI.jpg

thanks, i used to see the big buggers on the canal beside the bike path approaching the NE corner.